Bjj Or Ju Jitsu?

Kosen is a rule set, not a style of judo. There are no “kosen judo” techniques.

Rule sets make styles. The rules you are training for determine exactly what your game will be. Kosen Judo is as much of its own style as BJJ is. What makes BJJ not "just Judo?" Rules...

If you roll with a real Kosen guy and another guy who's trained 100 percent for modern Olympic rules... Their games will be very different. Why is this a hard concept to grasp around here?

Rule sets make styles. The rules you are training for determine exactly what your game will be. Kosen Judo is as much of its own style as BJJ is. What makes BJJ not "just Judo?" Rules...

If you roll with a real Kosen guy and another guy who's trained 100 percent for modern Olympic rules... Their games will be very different. Why is this a hard concept to grasp around here?

Because Kosen is a rule set for high school/young college kids. It’s not a style unto itself, it is solely practiced in a very few universities in Japan and maybe a few offshoot clubs . There are no belts awarded in Kosen judo. Kids graduate from high school and go on to university and practice Olympic style rules.

Saying kosen judo is a different style than kodokan judo is like saying t-ball is a different style than baseball.

Some white guy in Midwest America claiming to teach “Kosen judo” would probably be full of shit.

Because Kosen is a rule set for high school/young college kids. It’s not a style unto itself, it is solely practiced in a very few universities in Japan and maybe a few offshoot clubs . There are no belts awarded in Kosen judo. Kids graduate from high school and go on to university and practice Olympic style rules.

Saying kosen judo is a different style than kodokan judo is like saying t-ball is a different style than baseball.

Some white guy in Midwest America claiming to teach “Kosen judo” would probably be full of shit.

Most of what you said is irrelevant to the point. Kosen Judo being practiced by a small group of people nowadays has no bearing on it being a style or not. Having a different belt system or not means nothing. Wrestling has no belt system and there are many different styled of wrestling. Folk style wrestling practiced in highschools and colleges of the U.S. is a different style than freestyle wrestling found in the Olympics. Same thing with Kosen and Olympic Judo. They are different styles of Judo. The rules are quite different which leads to different tactics being developed. The Kosen Judo guys have always been there own niche group within but quite distinctive from the Kodokan. ofcourse great Judoka no matter where they come from, go on the complete in Olympic Judo because that is the most prestigious platform in the world for Judo. There is no Olympic sport for Kosen. Just like there is no Olympic sport for American folkstyle wrestling. If they want to compete they have to do freestyle.

Koji Komuro, one of the greatest examples for this generation for Kosen style, competed, and still competes in Olympic Judo. I have his book and all of his DVDs, and he constantly refers to the newaza he's teaching as Kosen Judo. I think he knows what Kosen Judo is or isn't better than you.

Most of what you said is irrelevant to the point. Kosen Judo being practiced by a small group of people nowadays has no bearing on it being a style or not. Having a different belt system or not means nothing. Wrestling has no belt system and there are many different styled of wrestling. Folk style wrestling practiced in highschools and colleges of the U.S. is a different style than freestyle wrestling found in the Olympics. Same thing with Kosen and Olympic Judo. They are different styles of Judo. The rules are quite different which leads to different tactics being developed. The Kosen Judo guys have always been there own niche group within but quite distinctive from the Kodokan. ofcourse great Judoka no matter where they come from, go on the complete in Olympic Judo because that is the most prestigious platform in the world for Judo. There is no Olympic sport for Kosen. Just like there is no Olympic sport for American folkstyle wrestling. If they want to compete they have to do freestyle.

Koji Komuro, one of the greatest examples for this generation for Kosen style, competed, and still competes in Olympic Judo. I have his book and all of his DVDs, and he constantly refers to the newaza he's teaching as Kosen Judo. I think he knows what Kosen Judo is or isn't better than you.

So he’s teaching Newaza techniques that aren’t in the Kodokan syllabus?

So he’s teaching Newaza techniques that aren’t in the Kodokan syllabus?

Yes, because syllabus means nothing in reality. Leglocks are in the Kodokan syllabus, but 99.9% of Judoka don't know the first thing about leglocks.

Hey man, its not kosen judo its kosen JUJITSU. My teach isn't full of shit man. C'mon down for a class you can try it out for free.

Hey man, its not kosen judo its kosen JUJITSU. My teach isn't full of shit man. C'mon down for a class you can try it out for free.

Just out of curiosity? What is your instructors lineage? Why does he use the term Kosen Jujitsu? It doesn't make sense to use the term Kosen this way, given that Kosen is short for
"kōtō senmon gakkō" which means higher technical colleges found in Japan. There is no college Jujitsu that I know of. Not saying he's not legit. Just curious. Did he just like the name?

Just out of curiosity? What is your instructors lineage? Why does he use the term Kosen Jujitsu? It doesn't make sense to use the term Kosen this way, given that Kosen is short for
"kōtō senmon gakkō" which means higher technical colleges found in Japan. There is no college Jujitsu that I know of. Not saying he's not legit. Just curious. Did he just like the name?
http://combat-jujitsu.com/cjj/about.html

To be honest i dont know if he knew what it meant, i've never met bob easom. I guess the name probably just stuck. The man who teaches me grew up in the gym, im sure he has just never questioned it. Whatever it really means its just a way to distinguish ourselves from others.

Oh and lineage of my instructor is he is the son of the the black belt the founder chose to take over for him and the current instructor.

I got a little confused the other night when talking to someone who does Ju Jitsu. I said I've just started doing a bit of BJJ. The other guy said, yes I do Ju Jitsu also. I said, no I think Brazilian Ju Jitsu is alot different, he said no, its the same, and I thought....haven't got a clue as I know nothing about normal Ju Jitsu. Can anyone help me put an end to this?

Thanks
It's all Jiu-Jitsu to me.
Talking about that...watch this mini bio on the jiu-jitsu history of UFC Fighter Gilbert Burns

I do both BJJ and jjj and it’s definitely different. In JJJ we do no sparring and that lack of aliveness in the training shows in how techniques are executed.

Not to mention, Masahiko Kimura himself had instructional material which he referred to as "Kosen judo." Listen to Yuki Nakai, who came out of Kosen judo, talk about it. Clearly they think of it as a specific style. Nakai said the best grappler he ever rolled with was his Kosen judo instructor.

This dude that trains at the "SEARCH FUNCTION" gym probably could have solved this.

And here I was thinking that Blake Bowman had returned to Sherdog, posting exactly the same sorts of posts that he used to terrorize newcomers with 15 years ago.

Get a load of this post from 2005!

Since someone necro'd this thread.

Imagine saying that now?

Oh how the game has changed!

Yeah, last time I competed was 2014 but I wonder what it would be like now, given that leglocks have become so popular. Leg attacks and especially standing entries were my specialty and one of the great advantages of them was that even grapplers that might have been superior to me in other departments were so unfamiliar with them that they didn't really know that they were set-up or even sometimes, that they were being locked in until it was basically too late. Now, I suspect, for many people that element of surprise will be long gone.

I know this is a necroed thread but... JJJ is a grappling art teached like tma. so... for each its own

Back