BJJ Scout: Conor McGregor Study - Takedown Defence

I have not watched MMA in a long time, but what Connor does is ground breaking I think. Essentially he is creating chinese style chi sau bridge with his opponent, using sensitivity to gauge intention, and mixing with boxing.

Also I wonder who taught him this, or if he developed on his own. If on his own, who are his training partners for wrestling.

I have not watched MMA in a long time, but what Connor does is ground breaking I think. Essentially he is creating chinese style chi sau bridge with his opponent, using sensitivity to gauge intention, and mixing with boxing.

Also I wonder who taught him this, or if he developed on his own. If on his own, who are his training partners for wrestling.

Clearly wing chun gives him the anti-grappling edge.

<{ByeHomer}>

this is an interesting analysis. I'd like to see the moments where Mendes gets Conor down, because he did land just under 60% of his attempts. Thats not super high, but enough to feel that Khabib, at the very least, will probably take him down. Mendes has a gnarly top game, no doubt, but Khabib is so damn active, and even if he doesnt get the TKO often, it is smothering.

Tony's TD average is under 50%, but he doesnt have more than a few attempts in his UFC career. I'd have to watch the film and check the data about who Tony took down, when, and how, but I imagine that he'd have a rough go.

Khabib WILL get Conor down, imo.

this is an interesting analysis. I'd like to see the moments where Mendes gets Conor down, because he did land just under 60% of his attempts. Thats not super high, but enough to feel that Khabib, at the very least, will probably take him down. Mendes has a gnarly top game, no doubt, but Khabib is so damn active, and even if he doesnt get the TKO often, it is smothering.

Tony's TD average is under 50%, but he doesnt have more than a few attempts in his UFC career. I'd have to watch the film and check the data about who Tony took down, when, and how, but I imagine that he'd have a rough go.

chad mendes took that fight on a weeks notice and walks around at 150 pounds lol chad could cut to 125 if he really wanted to but has teams mates there so he stays at 145 conor was walking around at 180 fighting at 145 look at the massive size difference in the cage and chad still took him down very easily in those rounds and he wasnt in fight shape

chad mendes took that fight on a weeks notice and walks around at 150 pounds lol chad could cut to 125 if he really wanted to but has teams mates there so he stays at 145 conor was walking around at 180 fighting at 145 look at the massive size difference in the cage and chad still took him down very easily in those rounds and he wasnt in fight shape
perhaps... but his percentage of TDs in conor's fight is consistent with his average. I believe he landed 1 against Aldo in their second fight (known for his TD defense), 7/10 against Lentz, and was 60% on Guida (these are his last 3 fights that went longer than a few minutes, win or lose).

Chad's TDs good, no doubt, but he tends to hit above 50% with folks who have poor defense statistically. Mendez was in good shape for the fight; no doubt, a week for a gameplan is rough... but he fought consistently, imo. One might say that the weeks notice wasn't any more helpful for Conor.

perhaps... but his percentage of TDs in conor's fight is consistent with his average. I believe he landed 1 against Aldo in their second fight (known for his TD defense), 7/10 against Lentz, and was 60% on Guida (these are his last 3 fights that went longer than a few minutes, win or lose).

Chad's TDs good, no doubt, but he tends to hit above 50% with folks who have poor defense statistically. Mendez was in good shape for the fight; no doubt, a week for a gameplan is rough... but he fought consistently, imo. One might say that the weeks notice wasn't any more helpful for Conor.

well there ya go if ur saying he has issues taking guys down who arnt that good and he still took conor down and the fact that chad is tinyyyy for 145 should show you khabib destroys him lol i dont see how anyone who wrestles or does grappling can think that someone from modern day uk area could stop the best wrestler at 155 from taking them down

well there ya go if ur saying he has issues taking guys down who arnt that good and he still took conor down and the fact that chad is tinyyyy for 145 should show you khabib destroys him lol i dont see how anyone who wrestles or does grappling can think that someone from modern day uk area could stop the best wrestler at 155 from taking them down
Pretty sure I asserted that Conor would get taken down in my first post.... though, Khabib's TD completions are under 50%, which means Conor is certainly going to stop a few. The difference is that Khabib relies on striking only to get in while Chad is happy to stand and bang. Khabib's output, commitment, and resilience is what will get him the TDs. Conor will stop a lot of em though and would get get some great punches in there too... the question is whether he gets a strong counter soon enough.

Obviously the data thats easy to find doesnt tell the whole story. You really do have to see who they fought, compare styles, and all that stuff. Percentage wise, Khabib is less effective than Mendes on TDs, but he's fundamentally a grappler and he almost always gets a takedown eventually, and thats where it gets fun.

Pretty sure I asserted that Conor would get taken down in my first post.... though, Khabib's TD completions are under 50%, which means Conor is certainly going to stop a few. The difference is that Khabib relies on striking only to get in while Chad is happy to stand and bang. Khabib's output, commitment, and resilience is what will get him the TDs. Conor will stop a lot of em though and would get get some great punches in there too... the question is whether he gets a strong counter soon enough.

Obviously the data thats easy to find doesnt tell the whole story. You really do have to see who they fought, compare styles, and all that stuff. Percentage wise, Khabib is less effective than Mendes on TDs, but he's fundamentally a grappler and he almost always gets a takedown eventually, and thats where it gets fun.

the diff in khabib and barbosa is barbosa has good enough ground and tdd that he was still able to get up at times conor wont be able to do this i promise u when he goes down he stays down

Certainly doesn’t hurt for this strategy that Conor has had a reach advantage on every single one of his opponents except for Nate (who is an inch longer)

the diff in khabib and barbosa is barbosa has good enough ground and tdd that he was still able to get up at times conor wont be able to do this i promise u when he goes down he stays down
Well, lets be clear about something. Chat made 5 level changes in the first round that were countered 3/5 times by Conor. Of the 4 takedowns, Conor got up quick from 2 and eventually from 1. But he countered quite a bit less than normal. Chad has more power in the hands than Khabib (despite being 145), and did a great job of contacting nicely when he threw. Considering the fight with Max all those years ago, I dont think Conor is a slouch on the ground. And I'm sure his ground game is better now than it was all those years ago (nearly 5!).

Whatever Barbosa is gonna offer resistance no better than Conor will. The difference is Conor's countering and timing. Literally, this is the variable that makes the Khabib fight interesting (along with cardio).

I'm not taking away anything from any fighter discussed. Mendes has strong TDs as does Khabib. We all agree that Khabib will probably get TDs on Conor if they fight. I think Conor will succeed in surviving on the ground in the first couple of rounds (though he can extend that with body shots to Khabib to tire him out). The variable, as I noted, is the precision of Conor's counter...though, a smaller one IS his ability to get up.

Also, Eddie Bravo on McGregor's BJJ:
"People are talking a lot of shit on Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu. I know Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu is good,"(...)“He’s come to my school. That guy is good. Just because he was mounted and choked out... He was already hurt! (...) "But even if he wasn't hurt, I get mounted by my purple belts sometimes and get my back taken."

Got to throw out that Jose Aldo has been doing very similar things with even more success in stopping the TD for the last decade. Most people never even get close to his legs because he's so good at framing them off.

Well, lets be clear about something. Chat made 5 level changes in the first round that were countered 3/5 times by Conor. Of the 4 takedowns, Conor got up quick from 2 and eventually from 1. But he countered quite a bit less than normal. Chad has more power in the hands than Khabib (despite being 145), and did a great job of contacting nicely when he threw. Considering the fight with Max all those years ago, I dont think Conor is a slouch on the ground. And I'm sure his ground game is better now than it was all those years ago (nearly 5!).

Whatever Barbosa is gonna offer resistance no better than Conor will. The difference is Conor's countering and timing. Literally, this is the variable that makes the Khabib fight interesting (along with cardio).

I'm not taking away anything from any fighter discussed. Mendes has strong TDs as does Khabib. We all agree that Khabib will probably get TDs on Conor if they fight. I think Conor will succeed in surviving on the ground in the first couple of rounds (though he can extend that with body shots to Khabib to tire him out). The variable, as I noted, is the precision of Conor's counter...though, a smaller one IS his ability to get up.

Also, Eddie Bravo on McGregor's BJJ:
"People are talking a lot of shit on Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu. I know Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu is good,"(...)“He’s come to my school. That guy is good. Just because he was mounted and choked out... He was already hurt! (...) "But even if he wasn't hurt, I get mounted by my purple belts sometimes and get my back taken."

im not gonna name names but i have a very good friend who i sue to train with and trust me i was told that he doesnt have the greatest tdd they will avoid that fight like the plague its never gonna happen trust me and again wrestling is a thing where size matters alotttt and he fact chad a guy whos 30 pounds smaller than him still took him down that way imagine what khabib will do a guy whos bigger and better than him

Got to throw out that Jose Aldo has been doing very similar things with even more success in stopping the TD for the last decade. Most people never even get close to his legs because he's so good at framing them off.
great point

agreed. that was a surprisingly great video. but any good argument needs to disprove the counterargument as well.

hence, what did Conor do wrong (and/or what did his opponents do right) when he did get taken down? that's the next video i want to see.

PS thanks for sharing @iYoda .

I mean, it's not like posting on your opponent isn't in literally every grappling style that has ever existed.

Jose also has singularly good single leg defense, and when people get past his hands, he feeds them one leg

Back