BJJ Tattoos

Badass sleeve and congrats on the promotion.

Awesome sleeve! Love the theme. And congrats on the promotion, brown is the hardest belt to get.

I interpret your sleeve as symbolizing the superiority of gi grapplers (brown jacket guy) over nogi (tattooed shirtless guy, getting handled by brown jacket).

But it begs the question, what are you going to get for your black belt, which is probably just a couple years away now? Let's see a huge back piece!

Awesome sleeve! Love the theme. And congrats on the promotion, brown is the hardest belt to get.

I interpret your sleeve as symbolizing the superiority of gi grapplers (brown jacket guy) over nogi (tattooed shirtless guy, getting handled by brown jacket).

But it begs the question, what are you going to get for your black belt, which is probably just a couple years away now? Let's see a huge back piece!

What makes you say that?

Great piece, btw.

It's just the natural progression. Brown is already black belt level game, just with some sharpening needed. Purple is where you have to build that game, and there are no short cuts -- it just requires an assload of time on the mats, slowly working out the gaps, details, and transitions in live sparring. The hardest to get belt is brown, and the most important belt is purple, IMO -- for the same reason. Training as a purple and working towards brown is when you have to really step everything up, train your ass off, and build your true BJJ form. Which you will have at brown belt.

It's just the natural progression. Brown is already black belt level game, just with some sharpening needed. Purple is where you have to build that game, and there are no short cuts -- it just requires an assload of time on the mats, slowly working out the gaps, details, and transitions in live sparring. The hardest to get belt is brown, and the most important belt is purple, IMO -- for the same reason. Training as a purple and working towards brown is when you have to really step everything up, train your ass off, and build your true BJJ form. Which you will have at brown belt.

That makes sense. Pretty much as soon as I got my purple I started organizing drilling sessions thrice weekly, drilling the crap out of my core game, doing a lot more positional sparring, and really nitpicking problems in rolling with a lot of research and subsequent drilling to correct shortcomings. I feel like my game (as a 2 stripe purple) is really starting to coalesce into its long term form. Competition has also gotten really, really hard at purple, and I find rolls with competitive purple belts to be not significantly easier than rolls with casual brown and sometimes black belts. Funnily enough (due to mixed divisions at local tournaments) my competition record against brown belts is actually better than my record against purple belts.

Thanks, guys.

I already got it picked out! I'm going to get this:

My wife just got cover up done on her back between her shoulder blades and she she cried after she was done. She said it was super painful. She's not a wuss, either. She never complained or cried out even once when she was getting her half sleeve:

I'm a little scared about the back now.

Here's my new sleeve on my left arm. I just got promoted to brown, so this one has a lot of meaning for me (the top guy's jacket is brown):

Damn spazzy guys always pulling hair....

This is what the whole tattoo looks like. I couldn't fit it all in the picture:

I'll be taking some professional photos soon for my tattoo artist's portfolio.

Couple of questions:

What rank were you when you started the tattoo? Did finishing it and getting your brown belt (congrats!) come together coincidentally? I've always heard brown is a relatively short phase in the journey- so why not wait until you get the BB?

Thanks, guys.

My wife just got cover up done on her back between her shoulder blades and she she cried after she was done. She said it was super painful. She's not a wuss, either. She never complained or cried out even once when she was getting her half sleeve:

The back hurt. Upper back/shoulders wasn't bad, but the lower back and ribs was rough

what do think guys?.. just to promoted to 4 stripes white belt.. so it holds a lot of meaning for me..

Ronda-Rousey-Self-Portrait-Tattoo.jpg

Couple of questions:

What rank were you when you started the tattoo? Did finishing it and getting your brown belt (congrats!) come together coincidentally? I've always heard brown is a relatively short phase in the journey- so why not wait until you get the BB?
I got promoted on Oct. 14 and started the tattoo on Oct. 15. I just happened to get promoted on my last day at my gym and the day before I started my tattoo. The tattoo took about two weeks to finish. It's been three weeks now and my first day back training will be tomorrow.

I have to find a new gym now that I'm back in America and I think (and hope) I will be at brown for a long time.

I got promoted on Oct. 14 and started the tattoo on Oct. 15. I just happened to get promoted on my last day at my gym and the day before I started my tattoo. The tattoo took about two weeks to finish. It's been three weeks now and my first day back training will be tomorrow.

I have to find a new gym now that I'm back in America and I think (and hope) I will be at brown for a long time.

Jesus Christ, 2 weeks!? That's tough. Good for you man!

It HURT. I was biting down on my hand the whole time. The chest was probably one of most painful parts and the collar bone. Around the nipple was excruiating. I didn't like the crook of my arm, either. I'm bony and muscular, so I don't think that helped any. I have zero body fat.

Actually, when the pain got really bad, I just imagined being totally gassed with my 100 KG teammate pressing all his weight on me in side control or half guard. It seemed to help a bit, and make me think, "This isn't so bad".

Maybe I'm weird. My chest only hurt directly in the center of the sternum, my collarbone wasn't bad at all, although it felt weird with how it makes your entire skeleton vibrate. My armpit wasn't too bad, but my elbow ditch was absolutely excruciating. The only place I've ever been tattooed where I didn't know if I was gonna be able to sit straight through. It got so swollen afterwards.

Thanks, guys.

You and your wife seem to have a really good taste in tattoos. Did the same artist do your sleeve and her half sleeve? They're both really well done. Just out of curiosity, who was the tattooer? Not that I'll get the chance to get a piece from him, but just interested.

You and your wife seem to have a really good taste in tattoos. Did the same artist do your sleeve and her half sleeve? They're both really well done. Just out of curiosity, who was the tattooer? Not that I'll get the chance to get a piece from him, but just interested.
Thanks. Yes, the same guy did our tattoos. His name it Kim Kyung-jin. His Japanese name is Horitatsu. He's been tatooing for thirty years.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fat-Buddha-Tattoo-Busan-Korea/161391520559446
http://instagram.com/horitatsu_kyungjin#

The funny thing is that tattooing is actually illegal in Korea. The police just don't hassle him.

He actually goes to Europe and all over Aisa a lot and does guest spots at places. He will come to America soon. Here's some of his other work:

Love that black and gray back piece! I like it better than his color work tbh. You should go with black and gray back piece for your black belt as well, maybe with a red accent. Would be sick.

Well I got a BJJ related tattoo of the the Bushido (Samurai) code done back when I got my blue belt in 2009. My wife apprenticed at the same shop the guy who later did my Octopus tat over the weekend.

Anyways, I got my brown in November and we got the itch to get some more work done. Here's what I got from Lil Chris just south of Dallas. He was pretty stoked to do something different than the norm. We gave him a concept pic for what we were looking for and he free-handed it right on me. I'm really happy with how it has turned out. Took about 4 hours of chair time with some breaks. Should look really nice once it's healed.

Back