BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

Omniscient

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

If you are looking for self defense, Judo>all imo. Throwing someone on cement guarantees he isn't getting up. Not to mention you know some sub defense and subs and have a phenomenal base.

90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

All you gotta do against a striker is close the distance and clinch with him to make it go to the ground. Sure there is a chance you might get KTFO, but atleast you always have a clear goal(taking it to the ground). If the striker doesnt rock the BJJ artist when he closes the distance(his only shot at winning), the striker will get taken down and will look like a fish out of water.

Yes that is all true. I am a big fan of BJJ too but what about on the street ? Can you risk taking down a guy on the street and finishing the fight fast and GTFO outta the place ?

All you gotta do against a striker is close the distance and clinch with him to make it go to the ground. Sure there is a chance you might get KTFO, but atleast you always have a clear goal(taking it to the ground). If the striker doesnt rock the BJJ artist when he closes the distance(his only shot at winning), the striker will get taken down and will look like a fish out of water.

Honestly that's in ideal 1vs1 situations w/o weapons or whatnot.

I've been doing MT almost as long as I have been grappling, and in all honestly I can say that I feel that MT is a bit more effective for a self defense scenario.

Are they both effective? Without a doubt. No denying that breaking someone's arm or choking someone unconscious is a fight ender. In all honestly though rocking someone with a cross/hook or a solid knee is just as effective though. Most people have never been hit really hard before and just fall apart mentally (if not physically) when this happens. And those that don't will panic and get reckless.

Bottom line is that most guys you run into that want to fight are idiots and should be avoided at all costs, you never know what will happen. As I said before you run the risk of being stabbed or having 20 of his friends start kicking you.

90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

I'm going to have to disagree. In a street fight the last thing you want to end up is the ground. And I'm sure that those statistic are off. 90% on the ground? you mean when someone gets knocked out or ganged up on but multiple attackers? I think 90% is way too high.

BJJ is great and is good to know don't get me wrong I love the art. But I've seen and been in many street fights and being on the ground is the last place you want to be at. Also There are alot more things to happen in the real world that either you can end up really hurt or dead if you end up on the ground. Its not going to be the same as it would be in the dojo.

Best thing in a street fight would be MT like the poster above us said. Defend hurt the other fighter and get out.

The last thing I want to do is get on a fight on the street.

If I don't have a choice, I would prefer my glock to MT.

What's up with all of these street threads recently?

Both arts are going to work pretty well. Which one works best is going to be heavily dependent on the exact situation and also your own personal preference. If you think that Muay Thai is going to be more effective for you, then just train Muay Thai.

It's pointless to try to think up all of the imaginary scenarios that could possibly happen to you. Maybe you get attacked one on one on soft grass by a guy wearing a collared jacket, so BJJ is great then. Maybe you get attacked by two drunks on hard concrete wearing a swimsuit, so Muay Thai is great then. You can keep going like this forever, but it's all just imaginary what if stuff.

Focus on the real stuff that you can control. Train whichever art you like and make sure it works against resisting opponents. Avoid getting into street fight situations as much as possible. If you do those two things, you'll be prepared the tiny percentage of the time you find yourself in a real situation.

this topic is silly, to put it mildly. mt > bjj on the street. 'nuf said.

Ok so i'm a Muaythai guy walking down the street, some dude tries to drag my girl off into the alley or some shit & i have to fight. I land a solid right kick, go into the clinch & start slamming in knees, he crumples, stands up & i land a big elbow, he keeps coming, i land a few punches, he's a bloody mess but keeps coming, i clinch again landing knees till drops, i drop bombs till he's a pile of hamburger.

or

i clinch & duck under to his back choke him out & walk away.

All I know if you see fights between two untrained people, the fights always end up in some type of grappling/clinching/etc where the fight could very easily go to the ground. If you have a chance to take a guy to the ground in a 1v1 fight, the BJJ practitioner will win. Both MT and BJJ are effective. Most likely if a fight happens, chances are neither side will know anything. The chances of one side knowing something is uncommon, the chances of both sides knowing something are even less likely.

MT vs. BJJ on the street? It really depends who is the better fighter. Only one way to find out though.

What happened to pounding someone to smithereens after you get Knee on Belly? What about doing a standing RNC or Guillotine? TS, saying that all BJJ guys HAVE to do what you mentioned on the street is as ridiculous as claiming that a boxer HAS to play rope a dope on the street because you saw Muhammad Ali do it

With BJJ...you don't HAVE to take the guy down, you don't HAVE to mount him and you don't HAVE to Armbar him, in fact I don't even think its a good idea for half the people I train with to attempt an Armbar in an MMA situation, let alone the street

If a MT guy is properly trained in clinching he should have no problem controlling someone who grabs him. But anyway, its hard to answer the threads original question because all street fights happen under different circumstances. There isnt one simple response to which is more effective.

Although I follow MT but I don't train it, let me ask you. Isn't a MT clinch when you engage the clinch by wrapping the guy's neck with both of your hands/arm? How would a MT practitioner deal with a body clinch or a double leg when the opponent's head is close to or on the chest of the MT practitioner? Aren't they different clinches? Do you train how to avoid takedowns in MT? What technique is used?

Ok so i'm a Muaythai guy walking down the street, some dude tries to drag my girl off into the alley or some shit & i have to fight. I land a solid right kick, go into the clinch & start slamming in knees, he crumples, stands up & i land a big elbow, he keeps coming, i land a few punches, he's a bloody mess but keeps coming, i clinch again landing knees till drops, i drop bombs till he's a pile of hamburger.

or

i clinch & duck under to his back choke him out & walk away.

ok that scenario you played out seem way to hard for me to take down. so after after a solid right kick, got him in the clinch slamming multiple knees, he gets up you land a big elbow he heeps coming land a few punches keeps coming land knees again and then he falls?

So during that whole time your just beating the shit out of him instead of high tailing out of there? I'm sure by that point you had plenty of time for you and your girl to GTFO of there and he would be too beat up to catch you.

And after talking all that a choke takes him out? Sounds like a bad mofo to me how do you know that he would get choke out and get right back up after that? lol

Although I follow MT but I don't train it, let me ask you. Isn't a MT clinch when you engage the clinch by wrapping the guy's neck with both of your hands/arm? How would a MT practitioner deal with a body clinch or a double leg when the opponent's head is close to or on the chest of the MT practitioner? Aren't they different clinches? Do you train how to avoid takedowns in MT? What technique is used?

For some reason Joe Rogan says that is the "Muay Thai" clinch is just a double neck tie. This is not true. In MT you train all sorts of clinching and pummeling for position, from over/under to a more common clinch where you have one hand around the neck and the other grasping his bicep.

As for dealing with takedowns, even though MT is a striking art there are still some upper body tosses that take place when clinching. You just get used to them and because of that develop a good sense of balance and awareness in the clinch. As for defending the above, pummeling in the clinch to avoid a bad position is how most would probably defend it. Thats not to say a good wrestler won't take you down, but at the same time it def won't be as easy as someone who is untrained. Its very hard to take someone down if they don't let you get comfortable in the clinch.

For some reason Joe Rogan says that is the "Muay Thai" clinch is just a double neck tie. This is not true. In MT you train all sorts of clinching and pummeling for position, from over/under to a more common clinch where you have one hand around the neck and the other grasping his bicep.

As for dealing with takedowns, even though MT is a striking art there are still some upper body tosses that take place when clinching. You just get used to them and because of that develop a good sense of balance and awareness in the clinch. As for defending the above, pummeling in the clinch to avoid a bad position is how most would probably defend it. Thats not to say a good wrestler won't take you down, but at the same time it def won't be as easy as someone who is untrained. Its very hard to take someone down if they don't let you get comfortable in the clinch.

He also calls successful leg trips in the clinch as "good Greco"

Back