BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

Never clinch unless it comes naturally, should only be used to counter a clinch.

How many times do we have to say it? Avoid tying up with your opponent.

This is the problem people getting into a lot of training with no actual experience or understanding.

This sets up your classic prison rush stab but rules say no stabbing in MT. lol

yes but... what would you do in his situation? i thought the same thing a guy said in the thread... a double leg takedown and then a triangle or a RNC, he would pass out before he could even think of using the knife.

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

MT is better for street defense. You will take less damage and do more damage in short amount of time. MT also has takedowns, so you have that base covered too.

If you're talking about street fightz, MT is bad because it leaves marks and evidence. BJJ is good for that cuz it looks like you're getting your ass kicked and you will likely eat a few punches, so it looks more like self defense.

Personally I think MT is the best striking martial art. But grappling arts are very dangerous for Muay Thai. MT has a narrow stance, easily taken down. But, MT does have a clinching game, your only saving grace. It's the only grappling you know if you do MT. If a MT fighter wants to beat a BJJ fighter, he should have a great clinching game, and should modify his stance to be ready for takedowns. If you get taken down, thats it. Yo screwed. I've done MT for a while now, and grapplers are very dangerous, if you do MT for MMA, never underestimate a good grappler.

Personally I think MT is the best striking martial art. But grappling arts are very dangerous for Muay Thai. MT has a narrow stance, easily taken down. But, MT does have a clinching game, your only saving grace. It's the only grappling you know if you do MT. If a MT fighter wants to beat a BJJ fighter, he should have a great clinching game, and should modify his stance to be ready for takedowns. If you get taken down, thats it. Yo screwed. I've done MT for a while now, and grapplers are very dangerous, if you do MT for MMA, never underestimate a good grappler.

First ever post is a necro standup thread in the grappling forum. It can only get better, friend.

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

You dont have to take a punch-throwing punk down if youre a BJJ guy.

Here's what I'd do: Snap his head down and guillotine choke him standing. And then walk away. Never hits the ground.

Here's what I'd do: Snap his head down and guillotine choke him standing. And then walk away. Never hits the ground.

Bahaha. I teach an intro to martial arts class at the college level and one of my students did exactly that. Some noob ran at him in a bar, and he choked him with a guillotine. He had done 5 hours of BJJ in his life tops.

It really is I think one of the most basic and effective self defense techniques. In a self defense context, give them a good old fashioned kick in the shin first to divert attention, or a Jones style nasty knee kick. They think leg, hands go down, bam. They may try to knee you in the nuts a couple times, but you can put them to sleep in a few seconds.

If the stars are aligned, you regularly burn incense to Bas, and the fighting gods smile on you, you may possibly get out of the entire situation without even spilling your drink.

It really is I think one of the most basic and effective self defense techniques. In a self defense context, give them a good old fashioned kick in the shin first to divert attention, or a Jones style nasty knee kick. They think leg, hands go down, bam. They may try to knee you in the nuts a couple times, but you can put them to sleep in a few seconds.

And even if they tried to knee you while youre holding the guillotine, you can just sprawl on them and force them to their knees to avoid that and youre still in a good position to get up quickly and run, if you need to.

If the stars are aligned, you regularly burn incense to Bas, and the fighting gods smile on you, you may possibly get out of the entire situation without even spilling your drink.

lol

If you burn the Bas incense, you knee them in the liver...

A combination of both is ideal. But the OP said one or the other. And that's a tough one.

There is no right answer. There's only opinion. I would pick bjj if I had to choose only one. But then I would go online and watch all of the YouTube videos that I could and get MT expertise that way :)

-T

I'd take BJJ over MT, knowing nothing of either besides -

How strong the weakest people are after a year or two. While the best in both arts are monsters compared to normal people, almost everyone is tough after a year or two of BJJ while that isn't the case in MT.

Caio Terra and Saenchai get in a street fight... who wins?

Back