BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

My only sd situation took place when I was doing mt for a year (no sparring) and no gi for about 3 months. I won by omoplata and waited for the security to come. They saw I was not punching the guy but merely restraining him in the jointlock and therefore no agression oin myu part. Had I been kicking and punching we would both get pwned by bouncers as potential bar brawlers.

Ok so i'm a Muaythai guy walking down the street, some dude tries to drag my girl off into the alley or some shit & i have to fight. I land a solid right kick, go into the clinch & start slamming in knees, he crumples, stands up & i land a big elbow, he keeps coming, i land a few punches, he's a bloody mess but keeps coming, i clinch again landing knees till drops, i drop bombs till he's a pile of hamburger.

or

i clinch & duck under to his back choke him out & walk away.

you might as well be fighting hendo

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

The strikers were borderline disabled... I have yet to see a single strike thrown in one of those gracie challenges, BEFORE the Gracie get's in close.

Honestly that's in ideal 1vs1 situations w/o weapons or whatnot.

I've been doing MT almost as long as I have been grappling, and in all honestly I can say that I feel that MT is a bit more effective for a self defense scenario.

Are they both effective? Without a doubt. No denying that breaking someone's arm or choking someone unconscious is a fight ender. In all honestly though rocking someone with a cross/hook or a solid knee is just as effective though. Most people have never been hit really hard before and just fall apart mentally (if not physically) when this happens. And those that don't will panic and get reckless.

Bottom line is that most guys you run into that want to fight are idiots and should be avoided at all costs, you never know what will happen. As I said before you run the risk of being stabbed or having 20 of his friends start kicking you.

The only issue with striking (specifically standing strikes) is the lucky punch that an unskilled punk can easily land. It is much harder to land a lucky submission, or a lucky punch from the ground.

The only issue with striking (specifically standing strikes) is the lucky punch that an unskilled punk can easily land. It is much harder to land a lucky submission, or a lucky punch from the ground.

If you can't defend a haymaker in your sleep your MT sucks.

Then again I've seen some local promotions...

Strikers have the risk of breaking their own hand plus if they ko someone they could end up killing them by mistake. No great

Strikers have the risk of breaking their own hand plus if they ko someone they could end up killing them by mistake. No great

And yet every grappler I know has broken fingers and toes. lol

Grappling is very slow to the finish, if it's only one guy then maybe.

Just hurt the guy instead of knocking him out, no need for that.

Last edited:
Old thread. Old question.

I'm not sure it really matters because both MT and BJJ lose to someone trained in both. Someone trained in both loses to someone who has also spent extra time in takedowns and other forms of striking (MMA fighter). An MMA fighter will lose to someone trained in weapons if there are weapons lying around or if there are multiple attackers involved - neither of which most MMA fighters spend much time with. Obviously if your goal is purely self-defense you will end up cross-training in a lot of different stuff - but both MT and BJJ will easily beat an untrained dude.

The more you know and all that

There's a vid of a security guard fighting some thug with MT, and he never knocks the thug out. This is after several knees, punches, kicks, and clinches. In fact, after it was all over, the thug was bragging about how he won the fight.

The whole time I'm watching this, I'm just thinking how easy it would have been to simply take the guy down, get dominant position, and choke the crap out of him. That would have took significantly less time than brawling with some mental midget on the sidewalk.

Obviously both are good for fight/self defense, but the MT round kick is something to be careful with in the "street". Maybe this is just me, but a shoe with decent tread/good grip on cement or gravel (further increase the grip) can easily lead to messing your knee up. I have done a few round kicks on cement with shoes, not real hard, and felt a bad torgue on my knee. Going full speed with adrenaline going could easily lead to an f'd up knee. I know someone will say "not with proper technique . . . ", but there is a good chance proper technique isn't happening in a street fight.

Also in a street fight, can easily break your hand punching with MT without gloves and hurt your foot if a kick isn't landed correctly.

It's not just the damage you do to the other person, it's the potential damage you can do to yourself.

The strikers were borderline disabled... I have yet to see a single strike thrown in one of those gracie challenges, BEFORE the Gracie get's in close.

1469061d1398362661-seeking-replacement-strap-red-line-compressor-704128d1359601749t-new-school-gravity-bikes-thread-necromancy-thread-necromancy-demotivational-p.jpg

Would I rather slug it out with a guy on my feet? Or would I rather clinch, get it to the ground, punch the guy, then armbar or choke? Give me the clinch and choke any day over slugging it out without gloves and throwing kicks with shoes on.
As long as you are working take downs with fight gloves on and really working on a fighting type of guard your jiu-jitsu will be all you need in most street fights. In mma? No way but in a street fight definitely.

49712.jpg

Wins every single street fight, and 99% of the time you don't even have to pull the trigger

Yes that is all true. I am a big fan of BJJ too but what about on the street ? Can you risk taking down a guy on the street and finishing the fight fast and GTFO outta the place ?

What if he takes YOU down? Fighting in "tha street" is stupid, and its only for uneducated thugs and rednecks who no life.

But, if a person is a moron and goes to places likely to end up with punk rednecks fighting them, they are probably getting sucker punched or jumped from behind, and probably falling down. Not many street fights are with 2 guys just squaring up face to face.

But again....street fighting: Only for stupid uneducated rednecks.

What if he takes YOU down? Fighting in "tha street" is stupid, and its only for uneducated thugs and rednecks who no life.

But, if a person is a moron and goes to places likely to end up with punk rednecks fighting them, they are probably getting sucker punched or jumped from behind, and probably falling down. Not many street fights are with 2 guys just squaring up face to face.

But again....street fighting: Only for stupid uneducated rednecks.

I agree that street fighting is for those of definite ill refute and moral standing. However in some cases the fight does "come to you" so to speak and what do you do next? Claim you aren't a redneck and fighting is for the uneducated? What if some jerk wants to hit on your wife, daughter, or girl right in front of you? How about those of us who live in locations where a home invasion by a mentally deranged meth head is a reality? As a man you owe it to yourself and your family to understand how to fight.

Would I rather slug it out with a guy on my feet? Or would I rather clinch, get it to the ground, punch the guy, then armbar or choke? Give me the clinch and choke any day over slugging it out without gloves and throwing kicks with shoes on.
As long as you are working take downs with fight gloves on and really working on a fighting type of guard your jiu-jitsu will be all you need in most street fights. In mma? No way but in a street fight definitely.

http://www.reddit.com/r/martialarts...d_experience_using_muay_thai_in_a_real_fight/

Back