BJJ - White Belt Frustration

JohnnyBoy87

White Belt
Reaction score
First post here and need some advice.

Ok where to start. I practise BJJ at an MMA gym in London UK. Have been doing it on and off now for around half a year and have just recently decided to take it seriously.

I'm a white belt and at the gym, there are two different profs - both black belts. One under Mauricio Gomes.

I usually go to the class that I'm used to, which is very challenging for me and I usually train each day at 1pm.

I decided to go to the evening class to try it out with the other dude and just got completely destroyed by everyone, especially the purple belts. I got completely owned and was wondering is this normal? It may seem like a silly question because obviously they are very high level.

Is this normal though? I left the gym feeling completely humiliated and think from now on I'm gonna train the midday classes because they seem to be more relaxed.

Not really sure what to say but any advice would be appreciated.

Pretty sure this is a troll thread but anyways...

Is it common for a purple belt who has trained 3-5 years to destroy a white belt who hasn't taken BJJ seriously? Yes.

If you want to live in a world where you don't improve/get challenged then go to your midday class and not return to the evening. The biggest improvements I make are when I roll against people better than me which forces me to elevate my training/game. The best advice I can give is go to class, as much as possible and train hard. There really is no other answer.

If you want to get good... you gotta put yourself in the fire :)

Spot on. Completely avoiding situations which make you uncomfortable is the key to taking it seriously.

it's what we call "bjj reality checks". you see, bjj has a small difference with other martial arts: in a typical session, you will sometimes do almost 30 minutes of rolling, and because thatis in grappling, it is typicaly higher intensity than, say, pointsparring in striking.

the result is that a mere bjj blue belt of 2 years has TREMENDOUS ammounts of "mat time" under his belt, almost as competitive as actual fights in some cases. that translates to insane leve of proficiency. so, in striking martial arts, you CAN beat a more skilled opponent with some luck+courage+heart etc. because the experience gap isn't that huge. due to the realism of daily rolling, BJJ doesnt have that. typicaly, if you tap a bjj higher belt, it's because you did something right and he let you to reward you. he's THAT good/experienced.

Holy shit. Necro bump. I wonder what happened to old johnny boy. Is the dude still training? If he is I wonder if his attitude has changed.

Welcome.

Ok where to start. I practise BJJ at an MMA gym in London UK. Have been doing it on and off now for around half a year and have just recently decided to take it seriously.

Okay, here's the start of the problem. Six months isn't much time to have been training. It's even less if you don't train consistently. This says to me that you've taken some classes, but you're probably still a novice.

I'm a white belt and at the gym, there are two different profs - both black belts. One under Mauricio Gomes.

I usually go to the class that I'm used to, which is very challenging for me and I usually train each day at 1pm.

Just to point out, here's your problem. Nothing will help your development more than training consistenly. You can't pick up a guitar for 10 minutes every other week and expect to play like Eddie Van Halen, and the same is true for jiu-jitsu.

I decided to go to the evening class to try it out with the other dude and just got completely destroyed by everyone, especially the purple belts. I got completely owned and was wondering is this normal? It may seem like a silly question because obviously they are very high level.

1) Yes. Totally normal. A purple belt should be able to destroy a novice white belt. Easily. To the extent that even if he's taking it easy on you, you'll feel like he's destroying you.

2) The guys who only train during the daytime at my dojo tend to progress a little more slowly than most of the evening guys. This is generally because the morning guys classes are more relaxed. The hardcore guys don't go too hard because they also train in the evening, and the morning-only guys don't generally experience evening classes due to demanding schedules.

3) Your experience level is likely comparable to that of an evening white belt who has been coming in consistently for a few weeks. This isn't to say that your morning class isn't good, just that consistent training and working with better training partners will make you better faster.

4) White belts generally get smashed for most of their first year, longer if they don't train consistently. You simply make bigger mistakes (and more of them) than advanced belts. In turn, the higher belts know how to take advantage of smaller and smaller mistakes as they advance...they also learn to make fewer (and even smaller) mistakes of their own. Having those mistakes exposed is good, because that's something you can work on improving.

Is this normal though? I left the gym feeling completely humiliated and think from now on I'm gonna train the midday classes because they seem to be more relaxed.

It's normal to feel a blow to your pride when you get smashed. You should. It's normal. Someone who gets smoked and can just brush it off, IMO, isn't a man...they're a victim.

Your midday classes likely are a bit more relaxed. That's good and bad. It's good because you're comfortable learning there. It's bad because you're not learning as fast as you could.

And let's keep in mind, this isn't a sewing class....if you compete or have to use jiu-jitsu to defend yourself, your opponent won't be going at a relaxed, easy pace. It's important to be calm and make sure you're not relying on strength, but make no mistake...you're learning a method of fighting.

I had a similar feeling my first day of class. I walked out the door feeling glad that I did my first class. I got in my car and was feeling a little humiliated. By the time I got out of the parking lot, I got mad. I told myself that being this bad was simply unacceptable to me. I had to get better or I'd never forgive myself.

So my advice? Take it as a challenge rather than as a defeat. Go back to the evening class, bearing in mind that steel is hardened by being placed back in the fire again and again. Those training partners in the evening class are tough, but they'll make you better. As iron shrapens iron, so too does one man sharpen another.

Do you train at Urban kings by any Chance? Sounds too likely not to be true, I train there and am a white belt, been doing no gi + mma for 2 years and Gi at urban kings for a couple of months,

If this is the case I guess you get smashed at Jude Samuels Classes, If so don't worry , all the lower belts do ,and there is no reason to feel embarrassed or humiliated , I have been training for four times as long as you and still get smashed with ease ! But just look at how good everyone is there, the gym must be doing something right, they weren't all born that good.

I have been training for a year and I get absolutely brutalized where I train. I think our teacher enjoys seeing people in pain and inflicting pain on the students. He seems to promote an almost overly aggressive attitude.

He takes joy in the ownage of noobs.

It's normal to feel a blow to your pride when you get smashed. You should. It's normal. Someone who gets smoked and can just brush it off, IMO, isn't a man...they're a victim.

I'm not sure I buy this completely. I've only been doing BJJ for about 4 months (missed 2 classes in that time.) I started sparring a month ago (our school has an hour of technique and on a separate day an hour of sparring.) Anyway, I came in knowing a couple things:

1. I have more or less sat on my butt for the past 15 years. I've gone to the gym from time to time, but never super seriously and never really stayed with it.

2. I have no martial arts/wrestling background.

3. Of all the people coming to the sparring class, I've been at the gym the least amount of time.

So when I go to my sparring class I'm not expecting to tap out the brown, purple or blue belts. And honestly, the 3 & 4 stripe belts I'm just hoping to not expose my neck.

So when I get tapped it doesn't damage my pride. In fact, when I've gone against a couple of the pro MMA guys at our gym and they destroy me I don't feel a blow to my ego.

If you got destroyed and are have some bad feelings about it then the reality is that this is a real good experience for you at this moment.It's just some times the truth stings a lil bit.

Go back to the evening class evry night for a few months, then try the mid day class with the white belts.I bet you start whipping some butt against them.

ts, train, train, train and train some more, set out a training routine, stick to it, be prepared for a lot more beatdowns, if your serious about actually moving through the belts, train, did i mention training helps

Welcome

Okay, here's the start of the problem. Six months isn't much time to have been training. It's even less if you don't train consistently. This says to me that you've taken some classes, but you're probably still a novice.

Just to point out, here's your problem. Nothing will help your development more than training consistenly. You can't pick up a guitar for 10 minutes every other week and expect to play like Eddie Van Halen, and the same is true for jiu-jitsu.

1) Yes. Totally normal. A purple belt should be able to destroy a novice white belt. Easily. To the extent that even if he's taking it easy on you, you'll feel like he's destroying you.

2) The guys who only train during the daytime at my dojo tend to progress a little more slowly than most of the evening guys. This is generally because the morning guys classes are more relaxed. The hardcore guys don't go too hard because they also train in the evening, and the morning-only guys don't generally experience evening classes due to demanding schedules.

3) Your experience level is likely comparable to that of an evening white belt who has been coming in consistently for a few weeks. This isn't to say that your morning class isn't good, just that consistent training and working with better training partners will make you better faster.

4) White belts generally get smashed for most of their first year, longer if they don't train consistently. You simply make bigger mistakes (and more of them) than advanced belts. In turn, the higher belts know how to take advantage of smaller and smaller mistakes as they advance...they also learn to make fewer (and even smaller) mistakes of their own. Having those mistakes exposed is good, because that's something you can work on improving.

Your midday classes likely are a bit more relaxed. That's good and bad. It's good because you're comfortable learning there. It's bad because you're not learning as fast as you could.

And let's keep in mind, this isn't a sewing class....if you compete or have to use jiu-jitsu to defend yourself, your opponent won't be going at a relaxed, easy pace. It's important to be calm and make sure you're not relying on strength, but make no mistake...you're learning a method of fighting.

I had a similar feeling my first day of class. I walked out the door feeling glad that I did my first class. I got in my car and was feeling a little humiliated. By the time I got out of the parking lot, I got mad. I told myself that being this bad was simply unacceptable to me. I had to get better or I'd never forgive myself.

So my advice? Take it as a challenge rather than as a defeat. Go back to the evening class, bearing in mind that steel is hardened by being placed back in the fire again and again. Those training partners in the evening class are tough, but they'll make you better. As iron shrapens iron, so too does one man sharpen another.

Cheers mate, thanks for the helpful advice. All the best.

ts, train, train, train and train some more, set out a training routine, stick to it, be prepared for a lot more beatdowns, if your serious about actually moving through the belts, train, did i mention training helps

Of course I'm willing to train man. I was just asking if it's normal to get owned. Like getting your face smashed into the mat, mounted then knee on ribs every round etc. I know it's a hard sport and I have no problem with that, it's just as a beginner I find it hard to ask questions.

Definitely normal. Just had one of those days yesterday.

No one showed up but blue belts+ and a wrestler who had about as much experience as me. We did about 40 minutes of rolling and I just got handled and couldn't really get anything in my game off. I usually do pretty well in class handling most the other white belts except one and even do pretty well against the blues.

Since it was all higher belts though I was just fighting to survive the whole time and got exhausted quick. Even against the blues I usually hold my own against I was getting handled. Sucked, but that's the nature of getting better.

White belts get beaten by purple belts?

26958484.jpg

Sounds like my Wednesday advanced classes. Like ALL of my Wednesday classes. It'll normally be a small/medium class of 8 people, and I'm the only white belt. Gotta say it's my least favorite class, but the one I take the most knowledge from without a doubt. I've left that class smashed to hell and physically exhausted, but with at least one tip that sticks with me and changes the way I grapple so I can be more competitive in rolls. And, personally, I see myself progressing faster than the other whites on a technique wise level, seeing myself less and less abused by the gross strength difference between us.

Of course I'm willing to train man. I was just asking if it's normal to get owned. Like getting your face smashed into the mat, mounted then knee on ribs every round etc. I know it's a hard sport and I have no problem with that, it's just as a beginner I find it hard to ask questions.

Beyond normal. It would almost imply a problem with the purples if you didn't feel a little abused.

A white belt getting owned by a purple belt is more like a white belt getting owned by another white belt.

You're new. You're suppose to be getting destroyed!

It seems to me that the first problem you ran into is forgetting to check your ego at the door the moment you walked through it. It sounds like you're more of a dreamer who envisions themself to be everything they could ever imagine, but will quickly give up on activities they don't get overnight results with. Change your "dreamer" mentality to that of a person who is hungry to learn everything they can and acknowledges that "you aren't learning if you aren't tapping" has so much truth when it comes to BJJ.

Think about this a little more carefully. If you're getting smashed by purple belts, don't you think it could have something to do with the fact they have most likely had a minimum of 3 years of consistent training (and often 4-5 years before they even earn that belt)? Unless you're a truly gifted white belt (those are rare), you should expect to get used by everybody with a different belt color than you. If your training partners are worth anything, you can always ask them right after tapping to them what you could have done differently to either prevent the submission from being attempted or at least how to escape said submission.

When I train, I keep the mindset that the quicker I can help other people defend against the things that I do, the quicker I can turn up the heat (whether or not it's voluntary). This in turn makes both of us better in the long run.

BJJ is one of the most humbling sports I have ever done. I have been doing this shit for about 4 years and I get smashed all the time. There is always and I mean always someone better.

Think about it like this. I'm 38 years old and no matter how much I train now I will never ever be on the level of a Marcelo Garcia or any world class Black belt even if I was to get my black belt.

Enjoy the ride and do it for your own self development and learn from your destruction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back