BJJ - White Belt Frustration

I know it must have been rough. But its an experience that all BJJ Practitioners go through every now and again. A good humbling goes a long way. Try to learn from those experiences and use what you learn to improve your game. Some of my best concepts I learned while getting crushed.

Some one actually posted a similar question that I responded to on a Youtube Series Im doing called White Belt Wednesdays.

If OP quit, I don't think it is going to get through to him. If he stuck with it, he's been practicing for 6 years, and has probably learned how to cope.

oo lol just saw the date. Just beginning to get the hang of this. Thanks!

First post here and need some advice.

Ok where to start. I practise BJJ at an MMA gym in London UK. Have been doing it on and off now for around half a year and have just recently decided to take it seriously.

I'm a white belt and at the gym, there are two different profs - both black belts. One under Mauricio Gomes.

I usually go to the class that I'm used to, which is very challenging for me and I usually train each day at 1pm.

I decided to go to the evening class to try it out with the other dude and just got completely destroyed by everyone, especially the purple belts. I got completely owned and was wondering is this normal? It may seem like a silly question because obviously they are very high level.

Is this normal though? I left the gym feeling completely humiliated and think from now on I'm gonna train the midday classes because they seem to be more relaxed.

Not really sure what to say but any advice would be appreciated.

There is no losing in bjj.

If you lose, you learn ....my friend.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that they should be able to compete with people who've been training for 5+ years after a year of casual training. If you are a newer white belt and are legitimately hanging with all the purple belts at your school, find a new one because they aren't doing something right.

I'm a 4 strip white who will probably get promoted in the not so distant future. I've been training in gi for a little over a year now. I'm 30, 230lbs, wrestled for 10 years, and am still decently athletic. I can hang with most blue belts except 2 who completely trash me. If I roll with a purple, they can toy with me and still never be seriously threatened.

About a month ago, I was rolling with a newer purple who is also a part time instructor and pretty serious competitor. He's 200lbs and about my age. I was in his guard and the next thing I knew, I was looking at the ceiling with him on my back. I let out a pretty loud "How the fuck?" and he just laughed. I still have no idea what he did. Purples and the like are purples for a reason.

I know it must have been rough. But its an experience that all BJJ Practitioners go through every now and again. A good humbling goes a long way. Try to learn from those experiences and use what you learn to improve your game. Some of my best concepts I learned while getting crushed.

Some one actually posted a similar question that I responded to on a Youtube Series Im doing called White Belt Wednesdays.
Why are you replying to 6 year old thread??

Why are you replying to 6 year old thread??

I haven't been active on forums. Im just getting the hang of it and realized after the fact that the post is 6 years old.

One stripe white belt here. I get smashed like a well boiled potato on the regular and it bothers me but I just try to remember that its all a part of learning. Just remember to tap early, often and ask a lot of questions. Eventually we will get there, we just have to put in the time and effort.

Holy balls, now im a purple, its kinda odd seeing me post that, solid advice.

Back