black farmers were sold fake crop seeds to drive them into bankruptcy

How would they know that? Were they a totally different breed of soy?

Also, I haven't really heard one way or the other, was it only black people this happened to?

They know that because they took the seeds to the Mississippi State University to have them tested. The test came back revealing that the seeds the farmers had in their possession were not the same as the certified seeds that the company was selling. It's in the article but it seems that people might not have read that part.

Whether or not these farmers were the only recipients of the fraudulent seeds is unknown. But so far there doesn't appear to be any white farmers bringing their own lawsuits on the matter or attached to the black farmers lawsuit as co-plaintiffs. It appears that only black farmers have had enough of a bad experience to warrant litigating the matter.

Hey, welcome to the party. We were talking about the people who wrote long defenses putting the blame on the farmers.

I sort of assumed you would talk about that. The best position here is to just let discovery play out – Take some depositions; have some experts examine the seeds, and the field. Let's look at the e-mails, invoices, reports, etc. After that, we'll be in a better position to make a better. The farmers' allegations are pretty outrageous to say the least, so they better have a damn good basis for making them.

I believe I can express contempt for certain aspects of black culture without being "racist". Hating actions isn't the same as hating people.

Careful now both lines are very blurry at the moment.

I sort of assumed you would talk about that. The best position here is to just let discovery play out – Take some depositions; have some experts examine the seeds, and the field. Let's look at the e-mails, invoices, reports, etc. After that, we'll be in a better position to make a better. The farmers' allegations are pretty outrageous to say the least, so they better have a damn good basis for making them.

Got the seeds tested, not what they paid for, law enforcement launching an investigation.

I don't feel like clicking back to are your post. Was one of your arguments that the farmers are trying to blame people because they're not good farmers?

Got the seeds tested, not what they paid for, law enforcement launching an investigation.

I don't feel like clicking back to are your post. Was one of your arguments that the farmers are trying to blame people because they're not good farmers?

Law enforcement probably should investigate allegations of criminal activity, but if they turn out to be completely baseless, it ought to come back around to the accuser.

http://m.wmcactionnews5.com/story/3...nally-sold-fake-seeds-in-memphis-lawsuit-says

I'll just get this out of the way early, so you-know-who doesn't need to pop in with his usual contribution: "The black farmers were probably just burglars anyways. No big deal."

So anyways, yeah, this is fucking appalling. I hope it's not true for a number of reasons, but mainly because there's probably not going to be any sort of real justice done against a major agriculture company in a farm state.

Classic democrats. Didn't know the DNC owned a seed company. Thought they would have had to liquidate it once Obama bankrupted them.

Especially in a commodity buisness, like seeds, not like the supplier has some kind of lock on the consumer. So that makes sense. I still think it’s possible, but if the distributor was larger / established, I would be more doubtful.
Actually, I think they do have a lock in an age when such things are patented and tightly controlled.

There's no generic option like with medications.

Fuck @JosephDredd , you killed it with the thread title here..
I'm going to submit this mastery to huffPo for you.

I believe I can express contempt for certain aspects of black culture without being "racist". Hating actions isn't the same as hating people.

That actually doesn't make logical sense. If you just hate specific actions then your contempt is for the individuals who engage in those actions. If you're assigning the hated actions to the entire "culture" then you're assigning the hated actions to the people who comprise the culture and your hate has to include them as a group.

If you're truly separating the actions from the group people then you wouldn't be hating a "culture", unless you can be sure that no other culture has numerous people currently engaged in the same actions that you hate.

If the farmers had been white, the title of the article would have been "Inexperienced farmers scammed by fake crop seeds." But because they're black, you just have to make it all about that victimhood. Yeah, because ignorant white people never get scammed, ever, that magic white skin repels it right off.

When the White farmers using the same seed see much higher yields than the Black farmers , who by the way had the seeds tested and found they weren't the branded seeds they paid for, then racism is a very real possibility. I mean it's not like the US and the South especially barely have a history of trying to stick it to Black people..

The Truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle. A middleman distributor sells a bunch of standard seed, at extreme mark up by placing them in counterfeit bags and misrepresenting the product.
If the scam is discovered, he feigns ignorance and everyone looks at Stein (as what is happening here).
If it goes undiscovered, you net massive profits by selling budget rate product at elite prices.

The Chinese are notorious for doing this, so why does it seem simply impossible for some domestic con artist to do the same?
Odds are the distributor or some employees at the distributor packaged non branded seeds in bags carrying the brand label of the seeds the Black farmers thought they were buying. Allowing the criminals to sell the branded seeds a 2nd time. Now they may have only sold the 'fake' seeds to Black farmers, figuring that it is better for Black farmers to get screwed than White farmers.

The only way it makes sense is if they are in cahoots with someone who wants the land.

Reading the suit it appears to me that they're alleging the distributor and his partner switched the seeds at their separately owned business (ConceptAg), but that Stine is responsible because 1 of the fraudsters is a Stine district sales rep.

There's also an issue of ConceptAg "treating" the Stine seeds and putting them back into Stine bags (something the plaintiffs paid for) which seems to be when the seed were switched.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article214682110.html

When the White farmers using the same seed see much higher yields than the Black farmers , who by the way had the seeds tested and found they weren't the branded seeds they paid for, then racism is a very real possibility. I mean it's not like the US and the South especially barely have a history of trying to stick it to Black people..

Racism or simply GREED, but not cool either way.

Smells like bullshit. What is the motivation for the seed seller to give a paying customer garbage seeds? Makes no business sense.

It's not the seed company; it's 2 guys running a scheme on the side that did this.

The suit is pulling in the seed company because they still owe money for the real seeds that they bought on credit plus the seed company is probably the only 1 with any real money.

Actually, I think they do have a lock in an age when such things are patented and tightly controlled.

There's no generic option like with medications.

I would want to really study the supply chain for those particular seeds before asserting anything definitive, but Farmer made it sound highly competitive, at the distributor level at least.

I think it's possible, but I don't see stuff like that with my eyes irl very often. I think it's also possible that something wrong was done with the seeds and they didn't grow for that reason. If it is found out that some white dudes plotted to sell black guys bad seeds, then that is some weird racist crap. No, it would not make business sense, and would take a weird amount of racism from a lot of people. Maybe yes, maybe no

Back