black farmers were sold fake crop seeds to drive them into bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by JosephDredd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Steel Belt

What fun would that be? Shit, most of us comment without even reading the articles. Let alone sitting around waiting for government to run its course. :D

Makes sense to me. You're married. You should be able to understand hating an action without hating the person. Maybe you're the one guy whose wife has no annoying habits? Mine sure does. lol.

As for culture, it's not that it has to be the only culture with a specific trait, but if it's going to be singled out then it should exhibit it to a greater extent than most.

JosephDredd likes this.
  2. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Steel Belt

Thread needs some Bad Seeds. This one goes out to the accusers.

Here's one for the scummy scammers.

JosephDredd likes this.
  3. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It doesn't make sense. I might hate an action of my wife without hating my wife. But I don't extend that to saying "I hate this aspect of Indian culture because I hate an action that my wife has undertaken." Not unless that action is unique to Indian culture.

So, I hate that my wife is frequently late to things. That's an action. I can hate that without hating her. But surely you can see the flaw with saying that I hate that aspect of Indian culture. Being late is something that's not unique to Indian culture. As any Hispanic will tell you, it's normal in Hispanic communities. As any one who has ever dated a woman will tell you, it's normal with plenty of women to be late. So, it's problematic to take this singular action and categorize it as an aspect of a single culture when it's prevalent in lots of culture.

Now, if I hated when she wears sari's then maybe that's something I could extrapolate to Indian culture because it's only prevalent in few cultures, India being one of them.

But there are very few actions in black American culture that are not also representative of overall American culture, not unless people start drawing arbitrary delineations on when an action transforms from okay to problematic.

4. HomerThompson

HomerThompson President of the War Room Platinum Member

Ask yourself this, "Did a black person engage in said behavior?".

If so, it's endemic in the culture. If they are white, we're talking about a lone wolf here. Pretty simple.

Gandhi, Sohei, JosephDredd and 3 others like this.
  5. SaiWa

SaiWa Brown Belt

Most of us understood this..

It’s the non-believers who think a “legit” distributor won’t pull a fast one and scam one or a set of customers...

In the game of litigation you sue any and everyone feasibly related to the crime; especially if it is a bigger company loaded with money.

6. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Also, the distributor is probably an agent of the seed company (in a explicit or implicit principal/agent relationship) and so they might have liability for the distributor's actions.

PainIsLIfe, Gandhi, Sohei and 3 others like this.
  7. HomerThompson

HomerThompson President of the War Room Platinum Member

Please stop actually knowing about legal stuff, it makes their shitty arguments tougher to defend.

Thanks.

8. ultramanhyata

ultramanhyata Gold Belt

When I was a teenager I went to a concert in the city and two black guys sold my buddy and me some fake Thai stick in a bus shelter. (True story.)

So I consider this seed thing PAY BACK, motherfuckers.

milkmandanl and HomerThompson like this.
  9. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

Or the White guy's actions are explained as mental illness .
    The same kind of rationalization is a feature of Saudis. When a Saudi does something horrid, the locals say it was mental illness . When a foreigner does it, it is indicative of their race.

Sohei and HomerThompson like this.
  10. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Titanium Belt

Are these allegations? Shouldn't the title reflect that?

I hope it's not true.

11. Madmick

Madmick Scholar of Taghaza Staff Member Senior Moderator

Is there an ounce of evidence yet that actually points to racism?

Because they came out swinging the bat with that instead of fraud. After this many days if there isn't a hint of evidence discovered towards that claim it speaks volumes.

12. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo 風 林 火 山

Soy Boy seeds?

13. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

I don't think anything is happening that would lead to more information in a matter of days. Maybe once the trial starts or the investigation concludes, but not now.

I did find this, which has new information on the seed testing:

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/art...-suit-alleging-that-they-were-sold-fake-seeds

Click the articles to see links for more information on discrimination black farmers face.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    HomerThompson likes this.
  14. That209

That209 Lord High Executioner Yellow Card

Dan Quinn's house learning hands of steel
    To make double the money by selling fake shit to one guy and the real thing to someone else. In the long run, it’s better to never rip anybody off but this is just another way of making a quick buck.

15. milkmandanl

milkmandanl Green Belt

Between O-Town and the Worlds Most Famous Beach
    I’m still on the fence whether this was racially motivated or something else....but to your point, by swapping certified seeds with lesser seeds, I now have more certified seeds to sell. You now have greed as a motivation.

16. milkmandanl

milkmandanl Green Belt

I haven’t finished the thread but that article did not mention “the soil was tested and had the exact same / or similar enough composition as the farms who had much higher yields”....as I would think that that information would help in solving this mystery...

17. milkmandanl

milkmandanl Green Belt

Quality of seed isn’t the only predictor of yield though....it’s the right starting point but we know poor solid quality, rain quantity and type of herbicides are all as important as seed quality.

18. milkmandanl

milkmandanl Green Belt

Are they really blaming the farmers or merely pointing out that it could in fact be something else? The link you posted doesn’t do much to rule out other possibilities such as rain effect, soil quality and herbicides used. The only fact in the link that would help point to the problem is that the seeds were not the certified seeds that the low yielding farmers were sold. Also, to be fair, the article doesn’t even have an invoice to show that they in fact purchased certified seeds. I’m not saying that they don’t have any of this or other evidence...I’m merely stating that the article doesn’t.

19. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Word would get around quick that their seeds were problematic.

20. That209

That209 Lord High Executioner Yellow Card

Dan Quinn's house learning hands of steel
    Would it really get around that quick? I’m sure there’s tons of seeds that look like the seeds a farmer would be looking for. They’d probably put the seeds in the ground and wonder why they’re not growing or see something else is growing. It’s not like drugs where you get it, try it immediately, realize it’s shit n then call to let people know to not go to that person.