Black Lung Rate Hits 25 Year High

Maybe if we fuck over the solar industry more it will make the black lung go away.

The city I live in just shut dow their coal plant and went to natural gas and our rates damn near doubled. I'd be fine with them bring back coal. :D

If this data is about people who've worked in the coal mining biz for 25 years, what is the MAGA connection?

Don't forget this admin said they won't try to stop Texas' challenge to the pre-existing conditions portion of the ACA. Get wrekt Obummer MAGA

Who's winning the match?

But like, clean black lung tho

A plate of economic anxiety with a side of black lung to own the libs

Black Lung
Screen_Shot_2018_07_19_at_8_29_36_PM.png

Stock market
dow-obama-trump.png

Black Lung is no joke. I used to coal mine and I know a guy around my age (30) that has stage 1 black lung.

Black Lung
Screen_Shot_2018_07_19_at_8_29_36_PM.png

Stock market
dow-obama-trump.png
I'm not sure what you think you're seeing here. The rate of black lung can be correlated to the average age of the miners in the pool. If they live longer, they are more likely to live past the 25+ year mark, and are overwhelmingly more likely to have black lung.

So if medical treatment keeps them alive longer, or other social advances increase the average length of life, then you're going to see higher rates of black lung. It's why we're not talking about absolute figures, here.

The primary takeaway from this article is that miners in those states are living longer. Not sure what other conclusions one is expected to draw. Black lung is well studied.

Any rational person knows coal is the past.

Given who the President is, rational is not always a fair assumption for voters

Blaming Trump when you haven't even read the article:
One in five working coal miners in central Appalachia who have worked at least 25 years now suffer from the coal miners' disease black lung. That's the finding from the latest study tracking an epidemic of the incurable and fatal sickness.

It's the highest rate in a quarter century and indicates that the disease continues to afflict more miners in Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia.
"One of the challenges that we face in addressing this disease is that symptoms do not typically present for more than 10 years," Burke adds, "which means we don't yet know if the changes made to the dust standards are making a difference."

So suddenly people who have worked in coal mines for 25 years get black lung because of Trump?

Back