Black Lung Rate Hits 25 Year High

SpiritedWelcomeCob-size_restricted.gif
Merman, pop. MerMAN.

Shit thread tbh

I don't see how it's connected to Trump.

I'm not sure what you think you're seeing here. The rate of black lung can be correlated to the average age of the miners in the pool. If they live longer, they are more likely to live past the 25+ year mark, and are overwhelmingly more likely to have black lung.

So if medical treatment keeps them alive longer, or other social advances increase the average length of life, then you're going to see higher rates of black lung. It's why we're not talking about absolute figures, here.

I'm simply keeping critical thinking on point.
Just because Trump is a disgrace doesn't mean everything that goes wrong in the world is because Trump.
Here I've posted 2 graphs. Both show an upticks after Obama was elected that continue into Trump's presidency.
Either Trump is responsible for the growth in the stock market the last 8 years AND Black Lung rates, OR Obama is responsible for both.
Or, they're responsible for neither.

I'm not sure what you think you're seeing here. The rate of black lung can be correlated to the average age of the miners in the pool. If they live longer, they are more likely to live past the 25+ year mark, and are overwhelmingly more likely to have black lung.

So if medical treatment keeps them alive longer, or other social advances increase the average length of life, then you're going to see higher rates of black lung. It's why we're not talking about absolute figures, here.

Also, medical science, and perhaps OSHA, may have had a hand in the decline in Black Lung from 87-97, but I don't know that medical science fully explains why the uptick is so stark beginning about 10 years ago. Was there a medical breakthrough that extended the life expectancy of coal miners 10 years ago?

The primary takeaway from this article is that miners in those states are living longer. Not sure what other conclusions one is expected to draw. Black lung is well studied.

Any rational person knows coal is the past.
And yet, and yet....
Top Energy Department official vows to help Trump save coal

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...official-vows-to-help-trump-save-coal-nuclear
If this data is about people who've worked in the coal mining biz for 25 years, what is the MAGA connection?
Blaming Trump when you haven't even read the article:

So suddenly people who have worked in coal mines for 25 years get black lung because of Trump?
I think the rational point (to use @Madmick ’s term) is not that Tr7mp personally GAVE these guys black lung, but that:
1. Coal is not an ideal industry to try to prop up artificially
2. These miners need good medical coverage

To point number two: of course the Trump-administration is trying to phase out the Coal Miner's Fund as we speak...

Coal Miners' Fund Set For Deep Cuts As Black Lung Epidemic Grows
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/04/6161...et-for-deep-cuts-as-black-lung-epidemic-grows

Shit thread tbh

I don't see how it's connected to Trump.
tumblr_p8y54z2XxZ1we4t2no1_640.png

Last edited:
Also, medical science, and perhaps OSHA, may have had a hand in the decline in Black Lung from 87-97, but I don't know that medical science fully explains why the uptick is so stark beginning about 10 years ago. Was there a medical breakthrough that extended the life expectancy of coal miners 10 years ago?

http://www.forecast-chart.com/chart-crude-oil.html

I think the massive spike in oil price in 2008 had something to do with it. Other forms of energy suddenly became more profitable and that probably reignited that segment of the industry. Also the growth of China probably helped push up the value of exported coal.

Also it is interesting that 20% of the people with 25%+ years of experience get black lung....but that means that 80% don’t. I would figure 25 years in a coal mine would just about ruin everyone.

Very interesting subject.

Back