Movies BLACK WIDOW (Debuts with $80 Million at the U.S. Box Office)

If you have seen BLACK WIDOW, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: July 11, 2018

Cate Shortland to Direct BLACK WIDOW Standalone Movie Starring Scarlett Johansson

R3BRmgX.jpg

Marvel Studios’ Black Widow standalone movie has its director. Cate Shortland, the Australian director perhaps best known for the Nazi drama Lore, has signed on to direct Black Widow, Marvel’s action-adventure project that will star Scarlett Johansson.

The move caps off a search that lasted over half-year as the studio met with over 70 directors in order to find its ideal candidate. A female filmmaker was the priority even as the search stalled at one point and the studio looked at male directors.

The hunt narrowed in June with Amma Asante (Belle, A United Kingdom) and Maggie Betts (Novitiate) being the finalists alongside Shortland. Melanie Laurent (Galveston) and Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) were also in the next-to-final mix.

Shortland, who does not have agency representation, had a fan in Johansson, who pushed for the helmer. The actress admired Shortland’s handling of the female lead in Lore, a critically acclaimed 2012 drama that tells of a young woman who leads her siblings through Germany as the Allied army rolls in. Her most recent film is Berlin Syndrome, a 2017 thriller that stars Teresa Palmer.

Jac Schaeffer wrote the most recent draft for Widow. She also wrote the upcoming femalecentric remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Nasty Women.

Johansson’s Widow is reportedly set before the events of the first Avengers movie and sees the actress reprise the Russian spy turned super heroine. The movie will be Marvel’s second female-focused film after Captain Marvel, which is due to open March 8.

Marvel Studios' 'Black Widow' Standalone Movie Finds Director in Cate Shortland (Exclusive)

Does she have an interesting background to make of? I could it see as a Spy thriller without
the superhero angle.

Sweet. Let's get the show on the road!

First MCU movie I'll skip. She sucks as black widow. Wonder woman was great and looking forward to captain marvel but this is just awful. Now we know this weakling is going to survive Thanos

Does she have an interesting background to make of? I could it see as a Spy thriller without
the superhero angle.

She's got some good stories. It'll be interesting to see what they go with.

First MCU movie I'll skip. She sucks as black widow. Wonder woman was great and looking forward to captain marvel but this is just awful. Now we know this weakling is going to survive Thanos

Movie is set before The Avengers...

Other than being played by one of the hottest women in the planet Black Widow has zero appeal to me as a character.
That funny. I liked black widow and was thinking that I would watch her in a standalone movie, but once I read your post, I imagined her being played by a Boise dime and suddenly lost all interest

She's a good supporting character. I don't feel good about having her stand alone movie.

but who knows, Marvel seems to know the formula to make things work.

Berlin Syndrome was good, I will check this out in spite of my ambivalence to ScarJo.

A female filmmaker was the priority even as...

giphy.gif

Name 3 (or 5, or 10) greatest movies with strong female leads. See how many of them turn up to have a female director. This has gotten completely out of hand.

And don't quote WW as an example. Wonder Woman was a half-decent movie, bcs it was the first (again) half-decent DC movie in the recent era, and a long awaited revival of a popular female character. Widow can't compete with that.

Update: July 12, 2018

Cate Shortland to Direct BLACK WIDOW Standalone Movie Starring Scarlett Johansson

R3BRmgX.jpg

Marvel Studios’ Black Widow standalone movie has its director. Cate Shortland, the Australian director perhaps best known for the Nazi drama Lore, has signed on to direct Black Widow, Marvel’s action-adventure project that will star Scarlett Johansson.

The move caps off a search that lasted over half-year as the studio met with over 70 directors in order to find its ideal candidate. A female filmmaker was the priority even as the search stalled at one point and the studio looked at male directors.

The hunt narrowed in June with Amma Asante (Belle, A United Kingdom) and Maggie Betts (Novitiate) being the finalists alongside Shortland. Melanie Laurent (Galveston) and Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) were also in the next-to-final mix.

Shortland, who does not have agency representation, had a fan in Johansson, who pushed for the helmer. The actress admired Shortland’s handling of the female lead in Lore, a critically acclaimed 2012 drama that tells of a young woman who leads her siblings through Germany as the Allied army rolls in. Her most recent film is Berlin Syndrome, a 2017 thriller that stars Teresa Palmer.

Jac Schaeffer wrote the most recent draft for Widow. She also wrote the upcoming femalecentric remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Nasty Women.

Johansson’s Widow is reportedly set before the events of the first Avengers movie and sees the actress reprise the Russian spy turned super heroine. The movie will be Marvel’s second female-focused film after Captain Marvel, which is due to open March 8.

Marvel Studios' 'Black Widow' Standalone Movie Finds Director in Cate Shortland (Exclusive)

1)Who the fuck is she?

2)If they make a BW movie, ScarJo better go back to being a redhead. At her age, she can't afford a stupid haircut.

Last edited:
When's Hawkeye get a movie

Theres talk of this being a prequel isn't there? in that case the obvious plot to me would seem to be her turn away from being a ruthlesd mercenary(or controlled by one) potentially involving him.

Honestly I tend to think the reverse of most here, actually seems one of the more interesting female superheroes along with Gamora because theres some moral conflict present rather than just being "kickass".

I mean look at recent Starwars, which character would you say is more interesting Rey of Jyn? the former is vastly more powerful yet...

Last edited:
will this be like red sparrow, where she has to learn to have sexy time to be a good assassin?

They should have made this a netflix show with a different actress if its a prequel to avengers . I dont think people care THAT much to go see a movie just with her.

giphy.gif

Name 3 (or 5, or 10) greatest movies with strong female leads. See how many of them turn up to have a female director. This has gotten completely out of hand.

And don't quote WW as an example. Wonder Woman was a half-decent movie, bcs it was the first (again) half-decent DC movie in the recent era, and a long awaited revival of a popular female character. Widow can't compete with that.

To be fair though even if it might not be needed for the films sucess I do think theres a MUCH bigger issue with a lack of female directors in Hollywood blockbusters than their is a lack of quality female roles.

Yeah, not a fan of a solo Black Widow movie. Just seems pointless. It's only getting done to appease the people bitching about the lack of solo female superhero films.

Has nothing to do with male/female. Hawkeye does not need a movie either. Neither does Nick Fury. There are plenty of Marvel characters to make movies about, makes no sense wasting time in exploring C characters.

There honestly just aren't many female heroes that it would make sense to make solo films for. They're mostly on teams. And they have prominent positions on those teams.
Beisdes Captain Marvel, the only 2 others I could think of that would make sense would be She-Hulk and Spider Woman.

Yeah, not a fan of a solo Black Widow movie. Just seems pointless. It's only getting done to appease the people bitching about the lack of solo female superhero films.

Has nothing to do with male/female. Hawkeye does not need a movie either. Neither does Nick Fury. There are plenty of Marvel characters to make movies about, makes no sense wasting time in exploring C characters.

There honestly just aren't many female heroes that it would make sense to make solo films for. They're mostly on teams. And they have prominent positions on those teams.
Beisdes Captain Marvel, the only 2 others I could think of that would make sense would be She-Hulk and Spider Woman.
I have been saying for years now that the MCU dropped the ball in not making a She Hulk movie. She has cross-demographic appeal.

She is an intelligent career woman who essentially turns into a giant green fitness model in a skintight leotard.

She can both appeal to the "woman power" feminists AND the mouth breathing ince-...Sher-...um red blooded males alike. Pretty much anyone anywhere near the middle would be entertained regardless.

It's a prequel.

Depends what you want from a film I spose, those characters are probably not best suited for power fantasys but dramatically they seem interesting to me.

I still think WInter Solider(in which Widow is close to a co lead) has a case for being the best MCU film, if we get something like that maybe without the larger scale action I'd be perfectly happy.

Back