Blast from the past: Max Payne

i've always found them boring. didn't realise it till i tried to play a max pain game again, that it was rockstar that made it. looked at all the games i didn't like, and it was rockstar games.

It still doesn't make much sense, considering you're an open world action, and shooter fan, and Rockstar creates some of the most polished games within those genres, but whatever.

I always preferred Max Payne 1 and 2. They told their stories in a much more interesting way with the comic book style and dreary, noire vibe and they also did a better job of keeping the story out of the way of the gameplay (Max Payne 3 had far too many cutscenes, many of which were unskippable).
Agreed. I never finished 3, butI played through 1 and 2 multiple times, especially 1. There's a Kung Fu mod for 1, made it the best Matrix game.

I always preferred Max Payne 1 and 2. They told their stories in a much more interesting way with the comic book style and dreary, noire vibe and they also did a better job of keeping the story out of the way of the gameplay (Max Payne 3 had far too many cutscenes, many of which were unskippable).

Unskippable for a very good reason though. They were in place of loading screens. I'd rather have an unskippable cutscene, than an unskippable loading screen. At the end of the day, you're still going to have to wait. May as well entertain me.

Unskippable for a very good reason though. They were in place of loading screens. I'd rather have an unskippable cutscene, than an unskippable loading screen. At the end of the day, you're still going to have to wait. May as well entertain me.

Nope, the "Still Loading" message was often completely bogus, as proven by this video:

Nope, the "Still Loading" message was often completely bogus, as proven by this video:

Dude, the guy is playing on PC, and right off the bat he even admits he might not have the right hardware to skip the cutscene at the moment he wants to.

It's such a silly argument to think they would trick you into being forced to watch cutscenes, when they could just make them unskippable if they wanted to. I'm pretty sure the game is loading, and you can skip them once it's done loading. It's ridiculous to think that Rockstar made this negligible inconvenience on purpose.

"Muhahaha! They won't be able to skip the cutscene for another five seconds!"

I mean, really, think of logic behind that programming for a second.

I'm pretty sure the game is loading, and you can skip them once it's done loading. It's ridiculous to think that Rockstar made this negligible inconvenience on purpose.
Nah man, unfortunately it's been confirmed. Even people with SSDs can't skip these specific "cutscenes." Either Rockstar did it on purpose, or they completely goofed up and left out the skip-cutscene functionality at certain junctions. It's inexcusable either way.

Nah man, unfortunately it's been confirmed. Even people with SSDs can't skip these specific "cutscenes." Either Rockstar did it on purpose, or they completely goofed up and left out the skip-cutscene functionality at certain junctions. It's inexcusable either way.

Calling it inexcusable is a little much. You're acting like it's a game breaking glitch. It's just a few extra seconds of a few select cutscenes. You're still going to sit there regardless, because the game still requires loading times that are implemented into the cutscenes. If they let a few go on for longer than they had to, is it a really that big of a deal?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who gives a shit?

Calling it inexcusable is a little much. You're acting like it's a game breaking glitch. It's just a few extra seconds of a few select cutscenes. You're still going to sit there regardless, because the game still requires loading times that are implemented into the cutscenes. If they let a few go on for longer than they had to, is it a really that big of a deal?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who gives a shit?
The game is already chock full of intrusive cutscenes, so that just pushed it over the edge for me. I hate it when the story constantly gets in the way of the gameplay. It's a problem Max Payne 1 & 2 never had, and because of that I find them to be much more enjoyable overall (especially when it comes to multiple playthroughs)

The game is already chock full of intrusive cutscenes, so that just pushed it over the edge for me. I hate it when the story constantly gets in the way of the gameplay. It's a problem Max Payne 1 & 2 never had, and because of that I find them to be much more enjoyable overall (especially when it comes to multiple playthroughs)

Personally, I enjoy the stories in games, and can't bring myself to skip the cutscenes in any of them even after multiple playthroughs. Even if the story is shit. It doesn't feel right to me. MP3 had it's fair share, but you're talking to someone who will still sit through MGS4's cutscenes while replaying it. Max Payne 3's cutscenes barely register as far as being intrusive to me.

They were all great games.
This and Enter the Matrix made for some amazing waste of time.
Too bad about the movie. Not because it was particularly "bad" or "good", but because it seemed to be made by someone who didn't play the game, knew the story, or cared about it.

tbh it's my biggest gripe with 3 vs 1 and 2 but I'm totally willing to give it a pass based on what it's there for and the overall increase of graphic fidelity and detail in the game compared to the old ones. At the very least it's a good chance for me to grab a snack/smoke/piss break since I've already played through it multiple times. Although I had no idea you could turn on subtitles, so now I have another reason to go blasting through the favelas.

People forget MP 1 and 2 also had unskippable cutscenes and awful auto save locations.

Just finished Max Payne 3 for the first time.. really dug it. I think the story got a liiiiiittle too convoluted at points but it was a very enjoyable ride. It's funny how the Max Payne games make repetitive combat so fun and challenging in ways that most modern shooters can't. I performed so many sick unique kills in this game, forward barrel roll, while picking up a 12 gauge in the process and one shotting the final enemy in one seamless moment. Or 6 guys burst into a room and ai leap down a flight of stairs in slow mo and pick them all off with one head shot a piece.

Not to mention the game looks amazing still, I had it cranked up all the way on my PC and was very impressed.

the hype for this was insane. All the magazine covers and what not. Came out during the Matrix days and bullet time was the draw. Good times.

Yeah me too, I never finished 3. I hated seeing old Max, and didn't care for the Brazil location. It didn't feel like a Noir story, something I loved about the first two.

I still play them both periodically, especially MP1 and the Kung Fu mod. It really built on the already Matrix feel!

Max Payne's Kung Fu Mod

People forget MP 1 and 2 also had unskippable cutscenes and awful auto save locations.

It was punishing and frustrating, especially the saves. The latter is something I would normally quit on, but the game was too damn slick to put down for long.

Never played 3. 1and 2 were the shit though

Never did get into 3 that deep. Might have to revisit. That scene Easy posted with Health playing was pretty badass. Now that I am a Red Dead and GTA veteran maybe the controls won't feel so clunky to me.

I remember renting the PS2 version and how awful the frame rate was.

Loved all 3.

The first time playing 1 right after it came out was some of the most enjoyable gaming I've ever had.

Back