Body stop producing melatonin?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been taking a sleep aid that contains melatonin off and on since I was a teenager. I've heard that taking melatonin too frequently, your body stops naturally producing melatonin. Is that true?

Don't take anything else, instead try eating a more clean diet, try eliminating alcohol, GMOs, dairy, and processed meats, if you eat meat make sure it's organic. Add more veggies, and vegetales to your diet, exercise regularly and meditate. Let your body do its thing naturally.

Don't take anything else, instead try eating a more clean diet, try eliminating alcohol, GMOs, dairy, and processed meats, if you eat meat make sure it's organic. Add more veggies, and vegetales to your diet, exercise regularly and meditate. Let your body do its thing naturally.
This. I have no idea why more people don't practice absolute perfection in their daily lives

Buy the most expensive, organic, locally-sourced, artisan food you can as well as the most expensive, organic, locally-sourced, artisan beds/pillows/sheets you can.

I honestly can't find an answer to this question but you shouldn't be taking melatnonin for so long. Melatonin production decreases as you age too I think.

This should be all the proof anyone needs to prove you NEVER TAKE MEDICAL OR HEALTH ADVICE FROM SHERDOG.

This should be all the proof anyone needs to prove you NEVER TAKE MEDICAL OR HEALTH ADVICE FROM SHERDOG.
Please enlighten us with your knowledge

Between 2 minutes and 2 hours. It just depends. I have started using some sort of "non habit forming" sleep aid for those nights I can't fall asleep. Sucks laying there not able to sleep. I usually kill time by trying to wake the wife up for play time. It rarely goes over well.

Lol

I think it can stop if you take a ton of it all the time. I see some supplements out there that are 5mg to even 10mg and think that's ridiculous. 0.33mg to 0.5mg should be enough.

Using it at key points like when your sleep cycle gets disturbed due to travel is best, IMO

Temporarily, it's possible. The brain always adapts to the presence of drugs and supplements and tries to return to homeostasis. It's why a lot of people either use very low doses, or cycle on and off. I don't think the effect would persist long-term though.

Please enlighten us with your knowledge
Well, I know you'll believe anything you read on the internet if it falls in line with what you WANT to believe. I also know sheep like you love to get into a good internet argument, so you can post all sorts of links as "proof" of how smart and advanced you are. I'm not interested in humoring you, so go have yourself an organic non GMO smoothie and sit in your safe spot.

Well, I know you'll believe anything you read on the internet if it falls in line with what you WANT to believe. I also know sheep like you love to get into a good internet argument, so you can post all sorts of links as "proof" of how smart and advanced you are. I'm not interested in humoring you, so go have yourself an organic non GMO smoothie and sit in your safe spot.
I wasn't going to use any articles I just wanted to know if you had any actual knowledge of what you were saying, but based on that other post you made taking "non habit forming" aid for sleeping shows that you are on the same boat as the TS

You're just becoming a psychopath. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I've been taking a sleep aid that contains melatonin off and on since I was a teenager. I've heard that taking melatonin too frequently, your body stops naturally producing melatonin. Is that true?

From what I've always been told/seen, it's best to cycle off of it after awhile.

I've also heard it could effect your body's natural production of melatonin.

I haven't used it in awhile. Used allergy pills for a bit. Had a moment when I was up all night and went to work, and went to sleep at a decent hour, and slept through the night, and it started a new pattern, and things have been more reasonable, mostly, than in a very long time.

Try eating a snack. Look up "bore yourself to sleep" on youtube. There are asmr stories that can be really helpful.

apparently the navy or whoever came up with a strategy that takes practice.

Last edited:
I think it can stop if you take a ton of it all the time. I see some supplements out there that are 5mg to even 10mg and think that's ridiculous. 0.33mg to 0.5mg should be enough.

Using it at key points like when your sleep cycle gets disturbed due to travel is best, IMO
i take at least 70mg a night of melatonin with 250mg of sleeping pills (which is very little tbh, as i've cut back a lot). i've been out of all sleep aids for the past week and a half, and without them i've gotten one night of sleep out of that week and a half, and then three hours sleep three days after it. which is pretty much how my sleep has been all my life. i go days and days without sleep even when i'm so tired i can't move and my eyes are burning out of my head. still, no sleep.

Back