bodyfat percentage for mma fighters

Spot on.

First time poster.... James Fuller's comments merit a response. As a muscle biologist working in drug discovery, with extensive experience with both training (for other sports) and PED use, you should listen to him.

Don't get caught up with overly technical stuff like muscle fiber type, it's a clusterf*** (trust me, I've been working on a fast twitch drug for a few years now). As James mentioned, cutting weight for MMA is not something that the common "fitness guru" will understand. You won't get a valid science based approach from anyone. It will come down to personal experience, as everyone responds to bf% and weight cuts differently.

As a side note, I wouldn't get too caught up with elite MMA athletes bf%. Trust me, a ton of them are using GH or inducers of GH secretion. They're basically undetectable and have a huge impact on retaining performance while dropping weight.

Dont agree with me. It's bad strategy around here :)

I would say that for most of us the fighters to try to emulate would be the heavyweights who don't cut. Velasquez, JDS being the obvious ones

Headshot.
Bowlie... you're not mad at miaiouaoiuaouu, you're only dealing [poorly] with something called cognitive dissonance.

Im not angry, but it was obvious that I was wasting my time. I am aware that the article doesnt explicitly say it, but I came to the conclusion I did from reading it because it seems logical to me. I tried explaining my argument, why I came to the conclusion, and quoted the information that made me come to that conclusion.

You guys dont agree with what I read the article to mean and thats fine. I dont mind you having different points of view to me because having a sensible discussion about it is how you learn new things, but it was clear a sensible discussion was not going to happen because you felt I misrepresented the article. If I did, its because I misinterpreted the article, and i am happy to admit that if that is the case, but I explained why I came to my conclusion based on the article and quoted the parts that I thought were relevant. In contrast, no one else seems interested in talking about it sensibly so it was clear I was wasting my time.

From a subjective point of view I found that a low BF% only affected my performance when I was in the process of getting there. My energy level staying at a low percentage is the same as it was when I was much heavier.

Im not angry, but it was obvious that I was wasting my time. I am aware that the article doesnt explicitly say it, but I came to the conclusion I did from reading it because it seems logical to me. I tried explaining my argument, why I came to the conclusion, and quoted the information that made me come to that conclusion.

You guys dont agree with what I read the article to mean and thats fine. I dont mind you having different points of view to me because having a sensible discussion about it is how you learn new things, but it was clear a sensible discussion was not going to happen because you felt I misrepresented the article. If I did, its because I misinterpreted the article, and i am happy to admit that if that is the case, but I explained why I came to my conclusion based on the article and quoted the parts that I thought were relevant. In contrast, no one else seems interested in talking about it sensibly so it was clear I was wasting my time.

You're stubborn.

"The Athletes Guide to Making Weight" is a great resource. Actually gives bf% averages for different sports and their athletes. I based my goal bf% on a average of several sport's athletes I thought mimiced MMA. Aka wrestlers, boxers and judo players. Also it depends on your relative size I.believe as well as the weight weight class you compete in. Personally, I like to walk around at 16% at 170lbs between camps and gradually cut to about 10% at 155 before weigh ins and cut the last 10-20lbs in water. Also Nancy Clarke's "Sports nutrition guidebook" is great for specifics.
Spot on! I'm a competitive powerlifter with quite a few national and state records, going for some world records in 2 monthsb (over age 40 class though). Those numbers are roughly my bodyweight and body fat numbers. 165 lb if not bulking up, at 12%, then diet down to about 157 close to 9%, then lose water down to 145 or 148 depending on the federation, at which point I caliper test at 6%. Not too good at losing water I guess. But I'm 44 and started the game just 8 months ago.
So, no excuses young'uns

Holy necro bump, @Troy Nunley!

in 8 months you've racked up sate and national records? And you are chasing a world record?
That's impressive. I understand that divisions of <200Lbs males (assuming you're a male) and >40 doesn't have the breadth of competition but that's great! In what fed?

Last edited:
Spot on! I'm a competitive powerlifter with quite a few national and state records, going for some world records in 2 monthsb (over age 40 class though). Those numbers are roughly my bodyweight and body fat numbers. 165 lb if not bulking up, at 12%, then diet down to about 157 close to 9%, then lose water down to 145 or 148 depending on the federation, at which point I caliper test at 6%. Not too good at losing water I guess. But I'm 44 and started the game just 8 months ago.
So, no excuses young'uns

What’s your height? My fasted morning weight post bathroom ranges from 155-160 at 5’10. Not sure about bf, top two abs are clearly defined, Middle are loosely defined and bottom two covered.

Depends on height, age and weight class. For me, 40years old, I walk around at 205# at 16%bf, and fight at 185# and 12% bf. I've cut down to 185# just in water, keeping at 16%bf, and my cardio tanks. So, average is irrelevant, but finding the percentage that works best for your metabolism to advance your cardio would be the optimal goal. When I was 20 something, I stayed at 180, ate nothing but junk food, and probably had about 8%bf, and always ALWAYS had a full tank of gas, regardless of what I was doing.

Back