Bone broth bros, GTFIH!

therealdope

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Hi.

Has anyone in this forum tried bone broth? It's purported to be helpful for joint injuries and leaky guy (bowel diseases). I just tried it by doing a 2 day simmer of beef bones and ox tail in a slow cooker. I didn't roast the bones prior to simmering them, as I can't make sense of why that would help or change anything. I didn't add salt or any veggies.

After the two day simmer I cooled the whole thing down in the fridge and strained it to get rid of all of the fat. I put the broth in mason jars in the fridge. I drink about 8 ounces a day that i heat up in the microwave.

I'm interested to know the experience of others and any thoughts you might have:
- do you have a recipe that you like?
- how much and how often do you drink bone broth?
- are you aware of any benefits?
- do you just add it to what you normally eat or is it a replacement meal?

Hi.

Has anyone in this forum tried bone broth? It's purported to be helpful for joint injuries and leaky guy (bowel diseases). I just tried it by doing a 2 day simmer of beef bones and ox tail in a slow cooker. I didn't roast the bones prior to simmering them, as I can't make sense of why that would help or change anything. I didn't add salt or any veggies.

After the two day simmer I cooled the whole thing down in the fridge and strained it to get rid of all of the fat. I put the broth in mason jars in the fridge. I drink about 8 ounces a day that i heat up in the microwave.

I'm interested to know the experience of others and any thoughts you might have:

You shouldn't have posted this!! The vegans will be coming for you........

But not to worry, they don't move very quickly......

I've made it with chicken carcasses. I always pick up rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. Decided to make use of the bones. Not bad.

I've made it with chicken carcasses. I always pick up rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. Decided to make use of the bones. Not bad.

Do you roast the bones first? Add salt? What about some other veggies like celery and carrots?

Do you roast the bones first? Add salt? What about some other veggies like celery and carrots?

It was a while back, but I pretty much cooked the bones in a slow cooker, strained them out, then put it back in the slow cooker with a bunch of veggies and stuff.

The best broth is made from the bones of your enemies.

Hi.

From what I just read the roasting is purely for flavor.

Do however add a couple tablespoons of an acid such as lemon juice (what i use) or a vinegar. This helps pull the trace minerals out of the bones. I've tried a few different veggies with it, spinach and carrots seem to work best - celery adds a strong flavor. I add salt to flavor when I heat it up. My wife swears by it and I feel like I felt a little better when I was consistent with it. I usually make it from whole chicken remnants - a large whole chicken is extremely cost effective you can get several meals from it depending on how many you are feeding. There are pro sports teams that are given it on the regular by their nutrionists and there is a lot of info out there.

Anyway, hope the input helps. Good luck.

+1 on the acid mention. I use cider vinegar about 1/2 teablespoon.
Lots of beef brones, left over chicken bones, pork bones, duck bones.
Carrot, garlic, celery and at times onion.
Salt. Tiny bit of pepper.
I put that shit in a slow cooker for 8 hours.

Drink. Eat marrow. Eat the damned cartilage also if its on the bones by chance as collagen is great protein, just sucks chewing through it.

They dont have to be but i like to every now and then to eat the marrow with some salt and pepper.
Sidenote: i recommend organ meat. Weekly.

I will definitely try adding the lemon for the next batch. The stuff I have now is just beef bone and ox tail.

My mother said this is what the old people ate from where I was born. As or organ meat, we ate liver regularly along with cow brains. TBF most the alp mountain folk are strange so I don't if I want to go full ancestor diet just yet.

I've always eaten all of the cartridge from chicken bones. I actually like the taste. I would routinely eat some of the chicken femur as well --- at least the subcondral area.

when cutting weight hard last 2 weeks or so i boil my chickens and drink broth

hell iv even taken grilled leg quarters with the skin for added flavor and boiled in few cups of water when drinking lots of water to cut it really helps with head aches

My girlfriend and I save most of our chicken, beef, and pork bones through the week, at least the ones with cartilage and and tendons still attached since I'm in particular looking for type II collagen to be present in my broth.

Put lots of them in a pot with water filled to the top, a splash of lemon or lime juice to leach out minerals, some salt, and carrot/celery/onion to flavor and then let it simmer for about 12-16 hours. Most of the time we use it as stock for a soup a day or two later. If we're lazy we just heat it up and drink it.

Some articles on the internet say 72 hrs simmer. That seems ludicrous. I set it up in the slow cooker on a Friday night. I use about 4lbs of bones & bits and 14 cups of water.

I drink about 8oz. each morning.

Do any of you drink the broth daily?

when cutting weight hard last 2 weeks or so i boil my chickens and drink broth

hell iv even taken grilled leg quarters with the skin for added flavor and boiled in few cups of water when drinking lots of water to cut it really helps with head aches

What kind of headaches do you get? Do you drink the broth when you get the headache or as a prophylactic?

What kind of headaches do you get? Do you drink the broth when you get the headache or as a prophylactic?
i meant head aches when cutting weight drinking tons of water and sweating it out your body needs sodium big time due o how much water im drinking and how much sweating training doing so broth helps alot

It’s just chicken or beef stock. Granted it tastes better than what you buy at the store, but there is no evidence that it helps with joint injuries or leaky gut. It’s a good source of minerals and protein, but the collagen in bone broth isn’t converted into collagen in the body, it’s broken down into amino acids in the digestive process.

It’s just chicken or beef stock. Granted it tastes better than what you buy at the store, but there is no evidence that it helps with joint injuries or leaky gut. It’s a good source of minerals and protein, but the collagen in bone broth isn’t converted into collagen in the body, it’s broken down into amino acids in the digestive process.

I wouldn't be so quick to make that conclusion. One of our companies is in the microbiome therapeutics space and the more we learn about respiratory and gut bacteria, the more holes in our understanding of normal function are filled in. I wouldn't be shocked if there was bacteria that feeds off collagen and that bacteria is absolutely required for proper gut lining function. We already know that there are 3 types of bacteria that are deficient (or at least very low population) in Crohn's disease patients.

I'm not saying that there is proof of this but it's not implausible.

The idea that everything is digested into simple amino acids in the gut before it's absorbed is now refuted with the nature paper from just a few years ago where they showed that plant plasmids can be incorporated into mammalian cells.

Back