Books about leading a "principled", meaningful life, etc.?

You could get even more shit done if you don't waste time reading selfhelp books about getting shit done.

I'm not trying to be facetious, either. One selfhelp book tends to lead to another selfhelp book and before you know it you'll be writing laundry lists to the universe about your perfect soulmate and stuff like that. People that are too much into all that selfhelp malarkey are universally god awful and 'all talk'. Just sayin.

iv e never read a self help book of any sort in my entire life, other than "Getting Things Done"

if you peruse that book, you'll see it is more of an actual storage and time/calendar method to organize things better, nothing more

i also share a similar view about people into "Self help" all the time.......i guess im just sort of curious about "books that changed your life/perspective", as i rarely read anything other than periodicals and articles....i generally dont read books at all

i always hear people talk about some shit like thoreau and how it gave them a diff perspective, etc.....maybe i chose the wrong term in "self help"
i just want some suggestions on any sort of book, where people have gleaned some sort of "philosophy" or perspective in life

41m2UxX4flL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Book of Five Rings by Musashi Miyamoto

I think literature on Stoicism and Stephen Pressfield's the Art of War is a good start. But I also agree with what some other posters said. You might need these books to give you a start, but the best way to get out of your head and live your life is to well, live. I know people who amass a collection of these resources without ever really changing. They read these books to feel like they're doing something but they're not really doing anything.

You could get even more shit done if you don't waste time reading selfhelp books about getting shit done.

I'm not trying to be facetious, either. One selfhelp book tends to lead to another selfhelp book and before you know it you'll be writing laundry lists to the universe about your perfect soulmate and stuff like that. People that are too much into all that selfhelp malarkey are universally god awful and 'all talk'. Just sayin.

... that's why the only self improvement book that I recommend is my book, "Stop Being a Lil Bitch and Just Get on With It"

... that's why the only self improvement book that I recommend is my book, "Stop Being a Lil Bitch and Just Get on With It"
You've chosen your username aptly ;)

"Stop Being a Lil Bitch and Just Get on With It".
I like it.

I think literature on Stoicism and Stephen Pressfield's the Art of War is a good start. But I also agree with what some other posters said. You might need these books to give you a start, but the best way to get out of your head and live your life is to well, live. I know people who amass a collection of these resources without ever really changing. They read these books to feel like they're doing something but they're not really doing anything.

other than "Settling down" with a woman, i feel pretty good with what im doing currently in both personal and professional contexts

i just never really "read books", outside of school assignments and technical subjects
figure if im going to read something, always wanted to get into certain writers' works or even just something, not so literal, which I can apply in life or see from a different lense

ill edit my original statement to remove "self-help", as im not looking for a "meaning in life" or "how to make a million dollars and friends"
i just always felt out of the loop when people would discuss various philophies and perspectives from books commonly read

Everyone who's recommended Jordan Peterson, as well the one who started the thread, check out his self authoring program if you haven't already. I'm curious who here has done it? I have don't the first 2, future authoring and present:vitrues, still working on the other 2. Highly recommend it. Writing is a great way to grow and develop

For non-fiction: If reading Ralph Waldo Emerson's essays doesn't make you want to (start to or continue to) live a principled and meaningful life, then nothing will. Hell, you shouldn't even need to read more than "Self-Reliance," or else maybe "Self-Reliance" and "The Over-Soul" for a one-two punch. Everything else should just be gravy.

(If you want a taste, here's everything Emerson ever wrote: https://archive.vcu.edu/english/engweb/transcendentalism/authors/emerson/essays/index.html)

For fiction: Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is, psychologically speaking, in terms of exploring why people choose to think and act the way that they do, the most profoundly incisive, affecting, and ultimately affirming thing that I've ever read.

iv e never read a self help book of any sort in my entire life, other than "Getting Things Done"

if you peruse that book, you'll see it is more of an actual storage and time/calendar method to organize things better, nothing more

i also share a similar view about people into "Self help" all the time.......i guess im just sort of curious about "books that changed your life/perspective", as i rarely read anything other than periodicals and articles....i generally dont read books at all

i always hear people talk about some shit like thoreau and how it gave them a diff perspective, etc.....maybe i chose the wrong term in "self help"
i just want some suggestions on any sort of book, where people have gleaned some sort of "philosophy" or perspective in life
Ah ok, i see where you're coming from now. It's a shame you don't read books because i think literature and 'serious writers' are much more satisfying that the often glib and poorly written selfhelp type of book (they're usually written by some arsehole that just wants to profit off of people's confusions and hang-ups, without offering anything of substance).
But, like, the big existential writers such as Dostoyevsky, Hermann Hesse, Albert Camus, and also the renowned psychoanalysts, the big thinkers and classic philosophers - those were smart men and women who dedicated their lives to the study of the profound stuff, and consequently have much to offer. I'd really look to them before anything else.

2 books (small-ish, less than 100 pages each) that i have found super interesting and inspiring are Letters To A Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke - roughly speaking it's about the immensity of life and some suggestions about how to hone in on what is valuable in life and how to deal with the profound stuff (life, death, love, art and beauty) - and The Myth Of Sisyphus by Albert Camus, roughly speaking it's a small philosophical treaty about the banality of life and how to deal with mind-numbing routine, predictability, mediocrity, mortality and so on. Each are written in a language befitting of their topics; Rilke's is lyrical, spectacular, nuanced and just beautiful - Camus' is blunt, plain, merciless and to the point.
Between them they cover a lot of ground, i feel.

Last edited:
How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life - Massimo Pigliucci

As a Man Thinketh
James Allen
Man is made or unmade by himself; in the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself; he also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. By the right choice and true application of thought, man ascends to the Divine Perfection; by the abuse and wrong application of thought, he descends below the level of the beast. Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master.

https://wahiduddin.net/thinketh/as_a_man_thinketh.pdf

This, but also read some Epictetus (my favorite of the Stoics) and Seneca.

Basically, just read the damn Stoics. What little bit of good advice you can get from Jordan Peterson is present there, but without all the bullshit reactionary politics and Jungian psychobabble.

Here's a good critique of him from a Stoic perspective.

http://modernstoicism.com/nope-jordan-peterson-aint-no-stoic-by-massimo-pigliucci/

Yeah another great book in that vein is ''Moral Letters to Lucilius'' by Seneca. The thing about Seneca is that despite his literary merits he always struck me as a gigantic hypocrite. Unlike Seneca, Marcus Aurelius practiced what he preached.

Yeah another great book in that vein is ''Moral Letters to Lucilius'' by Seneca. The thing about Seneca is that despite his literary merits he always struck me as a gigantic hypocrite. Unlike Seneca, Marcus Aurelius practiced what he preached.
Yeah, I agree to an extent. That's why Epictetus has always been my favorite.

Back