Borrachinha fires back at Kelly Slater: "He better take care of his surfing"

we are talking about 2 different things...if you're talking about surfing being more popular as a leisure activity people do for fun, then maybe...but it no way is a larger professional sport...not even close.

I think it may be closer than you think, there are 103 countries that have surfing associations to manage events and their members who compete regularly plus an international body that oversees them. As a sport it is also included in the 2020 Olympic Games.

MMA as a sport is still quite young, not as many professional athletes as surfing - competing in events for cash prizes. The amateur side is growing and more and more are training regularly but worldwide it’s more than likely smaller than surfing. MMA does get more exposure on TV in a number of countries though.

Love both so have no issues against either however it’s easy to disregard the worldwide size of surfing.

All natty.
paulo-henrique-costa-borrachinha.jpg
All natty.
I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but then I saw this picture of him awhile back. Common sense dictates (for me) that Costa is on something, it’s just too much of a change in body type. It’s remarkable

Lunatics in this thread thinking a pro surfer is going to beat up a pro fighter? WTF?

I think it may be closer than you think, there are 103 countries that have surfing associations to manage events and their members who compete regularly plus an international body that oversees them. As a sport it is also included in the 2020 Olympic Games.

MMA as a sport is still quite young, not as many professional athletes as surfing - competing in events for cash prizes. The amateur side is growing and more and more are training regularly but worldwide it’s more than likely smaller than surfing. MMA does get more exposure on TV in a number of countries though.

Love both so have no issues against either however it’s easy to disregard the worldwide size of surfing.

I guess my opinion is based on the fact I never see it on tv. yet mma is literally always on. maybe I equate that with being a bigger sport.

Some people don’t understand the power of the ocean unless they’ve been in it during big wave conditions. Just trying to go under a wave is dangerous.

Years ago I dove under a wave during some hurricane swell and it pulled my head directly into the sand bar busting my face open and giving me a concussion.

Being held underwater and not knowing which way is up or down while your lungs are screaming for air is a terrifying feeling.

Most people would be scared to drop in on a 6 foot wave and Teahupoo is next level heavy.

Yeah, and that's just sand. A lot of people don't understand or grasp the consequences of razor sharp coral reef that is typically only a couple feet below the surface of those fluffy soft looking tropical blue water waves....

Teahupoo practically breaks BELOW the reef....you can see trough is almost going uphill at the bottom.

you gotta take care of your underwears before you take care of your surfing buddeh

I think people are getting wrapped in sport vs. sport. Perhaps we should compare them in terms Industry vs Industry if we're talking range of influence and revenue. Especially if you wrap up surfing within the Action Sports Industry as a whole. I'm no market expert in either but I would guess the Action Sports industry is significantly larger than the MMA industry.

I'd say Slater's already pretty much taken care of surfing, 11 World Surfing League titles including being the youngest winner and oldest. Plus he's pulled surfer hotties his whole life.Kelly-and-Gf.jpg

Must mean they are the worlds best athletes then if a guy that has no surfing experience can’t do it.

Ehhh, that's not what it means at all. It simply means that you have zero frame of reference of what you're talking about if you dismiss Kelly Slater as one of the greatest athletes in the world....in both mind, body and spirit. Perhaps to have ever lived. I'm not saying he's the best-evah, but the guy is absolute machine and epitome of dedication and for sure up there.

Yes because water automatically just kills you if you can’t surf. What if you are a really good swimmer and there are medics available

Typically, that kind of water does....You can be an Olympic level swimmer in a pool and have very little competence in the ocean. Pool's don't literally eat people alive...and I'm not talking sharks. I mean rip currents, waves, coral, rocks.....etc

I mean this with peace and love, but the fact that you even asked "What if you are a really good swimmer and there are medics available"....lol....shows how naive you are about the subject. But I appreciate your enthusiasm and interest.

cheers! ;):)

Typically, that kind of water does....You can be an Olympic level swimmer in a pool and have very little competence in the ocean. Pool's don't literally eat people alive...and I'm not talking sharks. I mean rip currents, waves, coral, rocks.....etc

I mean this with peace and love, but the fact that you even asked "What if you are a really good swimmer and there are medics available"....lol....shows how naive you are about the subject. But I appreciate your enthusiasm and interest.

cheers! ;):)
I wasn’t asking. It was rhetorical. I never said what if you were a really good swimmer in a swimming pool did I? If you actually looked at my other posts on this subject I already conceded that it is a skillfull sport and is not an easy thing to do.
My point was I don’t feel that a surfer is the best athlete ever and I stand by that .

I've always been suspicious of Kelly Slater throughout his surfing career. Don't get me wrong, he is an amazingly talented surfer, but if they tested surfers more often, he could have been the Lance Armstrong of surfing.

Yeah, and that's just sand. A lot of people don't understand or grasp the consequences of razor sharp coral reef that is typically only a couple feet below the surface of those fluffy soft looking tropical blue water waves....

Teahupoo practically breaks BELOW the reef....you can see trough is almost going uphill at the bottom.
Never surfed over a reef but yeah it’s crazy. I would never touch a wave as heavy as there.

I wasn’t asking. It was rhetorical. I never said what if you were a really good swimmer in a swimming pool did I? If you actually looked at my other posts on this subject I already conceded that it is a skillfull sport and is not an easy thing to do.
My point was I don’t feel that a surfer is the best athlete ever and I stand by that .

Understood....it's a free world so you can feel and stand by something you know nothing about. To each their own....

I've always been suspicious of Kelly Slater throughout his surfing career. Don't get me wrong, he is an amazingly talented surfer, but if they tested surfers more often, he could have been the Lance Armstrong of surfing.

Lol...it feels so wrong to think that. However, in this day an age I totally wouldn't be THAT surprised. It might even make me feel a little less subhuman as well! ;):)

Back