Boxers are scared!!

No, i didn't miss any point, because yo don't really have one. You're trying to justify your stance with examples that don't quite reflect this same situation.

1- A word gaining new usages doesn't automatically invalidate previous usages. You don't have the authority to decide what's right or wrong. If the word is in the dic, it's right to use it that way. You don't get to change that. How many times do i have to repeat this?

2- Your example doesn't apply to this case. Yes, words gain new meanings, and more often than not those new meanings get featured in the dictionary too, when the usage is common enough. But the reality is this: The vast majority of people, and i mean, close to 100% would refer to punching someone in the face as fighting. This is how the word FIGHTING is used by 99.999999% of the population. The usage of the word hasn't changed in any visible and signifcant way that would warrant an official reinterpretation.What you're basically saying is that because this definition bothers you, it's not valid. WRONG. It is valid. Unless you're now the new autority in english language. Are you?
I've already addressed these points. Prescription versus description.

I'm not confusing anything. Boxing fits the definition of fighting. In fact, it fits several definitions of fighting. According to the english language boxing is fighting. What else do you want me to say? I'm not gonna change the way i use my word just because some dumbfuck online doesn't like it. You're wrong. I can present you evidence that you're wrong. You can't present me any evidence that i'm using the word incorrectly.

boxing2

[bok-sing]
noun
the act, technique, or profession of fighting with the fists, with orwithout boxing gloves.
Origin
First recorded in 1705-15; box2+ -ing1

Now, you can be stupid and give different meanings to well established words. I have no problem with it. But quite walking around telling people they are wrong, when they obviously aren't.
I've already addressed this. By your argument, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in terms of fighting.

I've already addressed these points. Prescription versus description.

I've already addressed this. By your argument, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in terms of fighting.

No, wrong. You haven't addressed shit. You haven't presented any solid argument to justify calling someone wrong for using the word as it is intended to use. You simply don't like this usage of the word, but you also don't have any way to justify your point, simply because you're wrong, but you still wanna act like you're right, so all you do is to repeat "prescription versus description", in hope to convince people you're right because you know those two words, when you obviously aren't.

You talk about descriptism, but you don't really seem to understand how it actually works. Descriptivism doesn't mean you applying whatever meaning it pleases you more to a word. That's not what descriptivism is.

Now, the simple reason why your argument falls easily apart is because descriptivism is all about how a language is used by the people, rather than how rules intend it to be used. The thing is: people use the word fighting to describe any sort of physical or verbal confrontation. People do use the word fighting to refer to boxing. So we are not looking at a situation where the official definition of the word is not used by the majority of the population. IT IS! That's why your argument is invalid. It's as simple as that. If the dictionary tells you to use a word in a certain way, and pretty much everyone uses the word in that way, then there is no fucking reason to tell people they're wrong.

Now, let's say no one used the word fighting to refer to boxing and simple confrontations, and most people used it to refer to complete forms of combat where everything goes. IN THAT CASE your whole speech about descriptivism would make SOME sense. But even if it made SOME SENSE, which it doesn't, it still wouldn't give you the right to call people wrong for following the dictionary. Plenty of words have obscure meanings that most people don't know about, but that doesn't invalidate them. Just because a lot of people are ignorant the official rules of language don't become less valid. Descriptivism is more about giving new and more options than taking away those already established. In this sense, a word can also mean something that isn't even in the dic, but doesn't erase all the other meanings.

Oh, and btw, descriptivism has a lot more to do with rules of grammar. It's not about you creating your own vocabulary.

Any boxer who think study can step into an MMA ring with six weeks MMA training and no fundamentals of any kind related to MMA, has been hit too many times.
MMA is all about boxing nowadays. The better boxer win 9/10 times, Floyd Mayweather would dominate the FW/LW divisions. As for grappling, he would just need some basic training and utilize his slick footwork to confuse wrestlers

Give Floyd two years if training and he still gets destroyed by Mighty Mouse. No catch weight needed.

No, wrong. You haven't addressed shit. You haven't presented any solid argument to justify calling someone wrong for using the word as it is intended to use. You simply don't like this usage of the word, but you also don't have any way to justify your point, simply because you're wrong, but you still wanna act like you're right, so all you do is to repeat "prescription versus description", in hope to convince people you're right because you know those two words, when you obviously aren't.

You talk about descriptism, but you don't really seem to understand how it actually works. Descriptivism doesn't mean you applying whatever meaning it pleases you more to a word. That's not what descriptivism is.

Now, the simple reason why your argument falls easily apart is because descriptivism is all about how a language is used by the people, rather than how rules intend it to be used. The thing is: people use the word fighting to describe any sort of physical or verbal confrontation. People do use the word fighting to refer to boxing. So we are not looking at a situation where the official definition of the word is not used by the majority of the population. IT IS! That's why your argument is invalid. It's as simple as that. If the dictionary tells you to use a word in a certain way, and pretty much everyone uses the word in that way, then there is no fucking reason to tell people they're wrong.

Now, let's say no one used the word fighting to refer to boxing and simple confrontations, and most people used it to refer to complete forms of combat where everything goes. IN THAT CASE your whole speech about descriptivism would make SOME sense. But even if it made SOME SENSE, which it doesn't, it still wouldn't give you the right to call people wrong for following the dictionary. Plenty of words have obscure meanings that most people don't know about, but that doesn't invalidate them. Just because a lot of people are ignorant the official rules of language don't become less valid. Descriptivism is more about giving new and more options than taking away those already established. In this sense, a word can also mean something that isn't even in the dic, but doesn't erase all the other meanings.

Oh, and btw, descriptivism has a lot more to do with rules of grammar. It's not about you creating your own vocabulary.
Improve your reading comprehension and re-read my posts. The answers are there. You must bear some of the responsibility yourself.

By your logic and argument, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in regards to fighting.

Improve your reading comprehension and re-read my posts. The answers are there. You must bear some of the responsibility yourself.

By your logic and argument, arm wrestling is on par with boxing in regards to fighting.

No, the answers aren't there. You made a stupid claim and i shut you down. It's as simple as that. You don't have a counter argument, so you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.

No, that's not my logic. Two different things can be defined by the same word. It's called context. What you're saying is basically like me saying that a wooden club can't be called a bat, otherwise by that logic a wooden club is on par with a flying mammal. Yes, you are on a very special level of stupid, which doesn't surprise me, given that you're one of the biggest Conor fangirls on this forum.

No, the answers aren't there. You made a stupid claim and i shut you down. It's as simple as that. You don't have a counter argument, so you keep repeating the same thing over and over again.
This is simply incorrect.

No, that's not my logic. Two different things can be defined by the same word. It's called context. What you're saying is basically like me saying that a wooden club can't be called a bat, otherwise by that logic a wooden club is on par with a flying mammal. Yes, you are on a very special level of stupid, which doesn't surprise me, given that you're one of the biggest Conor fangirls on this forum.
You are unable to follow the parallels and trajectories of your own logic and argument. You've just defeated yourself in this very post.

This is simply incorrect.

You are unable to follow the parallels and trajectories of your own logic and argument. You've just defeated yourself in this very post.

Telling someone is wrong doesn't make them wrong. You fail by not being able to sustain your point with evidence and logical arguments. You simply repeat that i'm wrong and i don't understand, but you don't support your claims in any way. I already explained you, and i repeat EXPLAINED you why you're wrong. You weren't able to counter argue any of my points but keep repeating that i'm wrong, which is what dumb kids aka Conor fangirls do.

The truth is always without shame.

giphy.gif

Telling someone is wrong doesn't make them wrong. You fail by not being able to sustain your point with evidence and logical arguments. You simply repeat that i'm wrong and i don't understand, but you don't support your claims in any way. I already explained you, and i repeat EXPLAINED you why you're wrong. You weren't able to counter argue any of my points but keep repeating that i'm wrong, which is what dumb kids aka Conor fangirls do.
And I've repeatedly explained why you are wrong. You haven't countered or overcome any of my points; rather, you've simply discounted them.

And I've repeatedly explained why you are wrong. You haven't countered or overcome any of my points; rather, you've simply discounted them.

No, you've not. I dare you to quote your own explanation so we can see when and how did you prove that someone was wrong for using the word fighting for boxing.

"The point was that words and their meanings (signifier and signified) change over time because people choose to use them differently."

Is this your big point that proves yo're right? I already addressed it and you weren't able to counter. Fight is not a word that people chose to use differently. It's a word that YOU chose to use it differently, and because of that you think others become automatically wrong, which is as stupid as a train of thought can be. People use the word fight as it is showed in the dictionary. The fact that a very small minority doesn't is irrelevant.

See? You don't have an argument. But insufferable losers like you just can't deal with the fact that they're wrong, so they ignore common sense and anything that proves them wrong and keep repeating that they're right. You're not the only Conor fangirl i've seen here with the same attitude. You guys all seem to have the same routine: to say something stupid - ignore counter arguments that prove you wrong - repeat the stupid shit you say - ignore counter arguments - claim that you're right and have already proved others are wrong despite not having done it. This is a typical Conor Fangirl routine. You're just one of the lowest quality posters around and an obvious troll.

Last edited:
No, you've not. I dare you to quote your own explanation so we can see when and how did you prove that someone was wrong for using the word fighting for boxing.

"The point was that words and their meanings (signifier and signified) change over time because people choose to use them differently."

Is this your big point that proves yo're right? I already addressed it and you weren't able to counter. Fight is not a word that people chose to use differently. It's a word that YOU chose to use it differently, and because of that you think others become automatically wrong, which is as stupid as a train of thought can be. People use the word fight as it is showed in the dictionary. The fact that a very small minority doesn't is irrelevant.
You did not address my point. Rather, you discounted it; and, furthermore, tried to disparage it through the use of "context" whilst ironically contradicting yourself in the process.

See? You don't have an argument. But insufferable losers like you just can't deal with the fact that they're wrong, so they ignore common sense and anything that proves them wrong and keep repeating that they're right. You're not the only Conor fangirl i've seen here with the same attitude. You guys all seem to have the same routine: to say something stupid - ignore counter arguments that prove you wrong - repeat the stupid shit you say - ignore counter arguments - claim that you're right and have already proved others are wrong despite not having done it. This is a typical Conor Fangirl routine. You're just one of the lowest quality posters around and an obvious troll.
Wrong. Your reading comprehension simply needs further development. You overlooked key points and brushed aside certain implications that did not readily conjugate with your long-held delusion.

I believe if Conor had trained purely in boxing instead of MMA he would be a champion. George Forman the Legend even stated this fact.

As was regularly pointed out in the buildup, Conor did train purely boxing for many years before panic wrestling his way out. He was a nondescript novice amateur who'd already failed at realising his dream of becoming a footballer, and subsequently failed in his second choice sport, too.

As they say in the McGregor household, "Quit until you find something you can do."

Yes, that's why all these guys in Hollywood are standing proud after the truth of their abuse of powers came out. They shamelessly hid behind their truths. Like you.
Those factors would be due to societal consequences as the result of truth-telling.

I am not ashamed at all at stating the truth that boxing is light years away from fighting. Your societal consequences tickle me.

You did not address my point. Rather, you discounted it; and, furthermore, tried to disparage it through the use of "context" whilst ironically contradicting yourself in the process.

Wrong. Your reading comprehension simply needs further development. You overlooked key points and brushed aside certain implications that did not readily conjugate with your long-held delusion.

I did address your point, several times. You just ignored it. And you're gonna keep ignoring it and pretending that you didn't get shut down like the little bitch that you are. You're like a little girl sticking her fingers in her ears and screaming "lalalalalalal". That's what you are. Otherwise, let's be honest, you couldn't even be here, right? Your presence on this forum can't depend on intelligent discussion, otherwise you wouldn't have anything to say.

I'm done here. I advise everyone else to not waste more time with the retard. He is obviously a troll.

I did address your point, several times. You just ignored it. And you're gonna keep ignoring it and pretending that you didn't get shut down like the little bitch that you are.
"The pot calling the kettle black."

You're like a little girl sticking her fingers in her ears and screaming "lalalalalalal". That's what you are. Otherwise, let's be honest, you couldn't even be here, right? Your presence on this forum can't depend on intelligent discussion, otherwise you wouldn't have anything to say.

I'm done here. I advise everyone else to not waste more time with the retard. He is obviously a troll.
You attack what you don't understand...typical human behavior.

"The pot calling the kettle black."

You attack what you don't understand...typical human behavior.
Go do something you fuckin loser. Go outside, anything.

How much time do you spend in here defending your man crush?

Everyone gets it, you're a massive troll. We all know, we get it.

Or, why don't you just stop the act and try having a rational conversation?

Conor got smashed, you know he did. Why can't you just accept it? Get over it for Christ sakes.

You think boxing sucks, good for you.

Why do you need to spend months on here going out of your way to defend a man who doesn't give a shit about you or his other fans?

Back