[Boxing Bag Gloves] Advantages and disadvantages of different weights (oz)

guillaumesmith

White Belt
Reaction score
Sherdog.net, hello

This is my first thread and I am happy to share one of my passions with you.
In advance, I beg you to excuse my English. I do my best and hopefully get better with you.

principle

Here we give our opinions and arguments on the various advantages and disadvantages of weight (oz) gloves for bag work.

I propose some criteria for the debate:

• weight and experience of the practitioner: increments batamweight to heavyweight; beginner, amateur, confirmed, professional
  • work sought: stamina, technique, speed
  • gloves classic or gel
  • construction, protection, comfort

my situation

Currently looking for the ideal pair of "bag gloves", i'm an amateur featherweight of 150 lb and 5'9"

To me their has always been too much scientific explanations or long winded explanations on this topic. Anyone that has ever boxed more than likely spends more time on the heavy bag with a pair of bag mitts, or at least prior to the big bag glove boom of the late 2000's where better equipment is now available. I always thought of it like this. Speed is built by condition, and using a lighter glove for me with more repetitions on the bag has always increased this. I use a 10 oz or 12 oz for speed. If I want to bang away for power (this is more my style and has always been) I use no less than the 14 oz or 16 oz glove. As you get older your thin gets thinner, and a 16 oz glove becomes a necessity for some of us. The heavier glove has never improved my speed. Only built endurance and strength in my forearms and biceps. On a side note nothing sounds better than snapping the bag though with a 12 oz pair of grants or 16 oz pair of Cleto Reyes gloves. They make hooks bagasmic.

amateur featherweight of 150 lb and 5'9"
i'm puzzled

but anyway go for 14oz. Offers good protection, Competition gloves will feel quite light.
I'm about your weight just a little shorter.

You are puzzled <3

Look at the legend, the blue color, and follow :icon_arro
I do not fight as an amateur but my "level" is amateur, lover, fan.
Because in my native language, we can very well distinguish between the two amateur-boxing and "amateur-level".

As mentioned, I just starting in English: '( Sorry bro'!

edit : Do you have any gloves to advise me? max $ 100

You are puzzled <3

Look at the legend, the blue color, and follow :icon_arro
I do not fight as an amateur but my "level" is amateur, lover, fan.
Because in my native language, we can very well distinguish between the two amateur-boxing and "amateur-level".

As mentioned, I just starting in English: '( Sorry bro'!

edit : Do you have any gloves to advise me? max $ 100[/QUOte

I am confused. This began with you wanting a debate over gloves, and has now turned into something utterly confusing and now you are asking for advice on what to purchase. You specifically said you were an amateur bantamweight fighter. Adding a class into the mix and not just stating I am a specific height and weight kind of negates your whole premise for this conversation. Buy some Ringside IMF Techs in a regular or Rival Elite Bag gloves and enjoy. That's all I can say.

To me their has always been too much scientific explanations or long winded explanations on this topic. Anyone that has ever boxed more than likely spends more time on the heavy bag with a pair of bag mitts, or at least prior to the big bag glove boom of the late 2000's where better equipment is now available. I always thought of it like this. Speed is built by condition, and using a lighter glove for me with more repetitions on the bag has always increased this. I use a 10 oz or 12 oz for speed. If I want to bang away for power (this is more my style and has always been) I use no less than the 14 oz or 16 oz glove. As you get older your thin gets thinner, and a 16 oz glove becomes a necessity for some of us. The heavier glove has never improved my speed. Only built endurance and strength in my forearms and biceps. On a side note nothing sounds better than snapping the bag though with a 12 oz pair of grants or 16 oz pair of Cleto Reyes gloves. They make hooks bagasmic.

Awesome post.

I would go for 10oz or 12oz gloves for bag/mitts and DE.

Use 16's for sparring or for times when your hands are really sore or tired. Or you can use 16's for extra conditioning sometimes.

10oz gloves feel a lot more natural than 16oz for technique IMO.

I agree, go with the lighter weight bag gloves because it helps improve technique. The larger gloves allow you to swing as hard as you want with bad form without feeling a thing. You know quick when you hit with bad form with the lighter gloves.

I suspect that this is a subject of debate. Like stretching, some for, others against. I know many people prefer heavy gloves and argue their case.

I agree, go with the lighter weight bag gloves because it helps improve technique. The larger gloves allow you to swing as hard as you want with bad form without feeling a thing. You know quick when you hit with bad form with the lighter gloves.

Absolutely. Plus lighter gloves lend themselves to throwing combinations and practicing tight defense in between.

Big gloves tend to make people do two things- throw big bombs one at a time, and drop their hands to their waist when they get tired. They look great for a round or two and then sure enough down they come.

The heavy bag IMO is secondary as a conditioning tool, technique must ALWAYS come first in boxing (or MMA or any art)

My 10oz Winning fight gloves are perfect for having tons of protection, but a fairly compact size and weight.

I suspect that this is a subject of debate. Like stretching, some for, others against. I know many people prefer heavy gloves and argue their case.

There is no reason for a debate. Since we are all pretty much in agreement. If you are looking for a debate, you are looking in the wrong forum. Most of the people here give pretty good advice based on facts and personal experience. That being said, I have two sets of bag gloves, one light and one heavy.. and I just received a new pair of Boon bag gloves in the mail today, can't wait to abuse some mitts later on.

Instead of one or the other, why not integrating both into your work out?

Joel Jamieson's mma conditioning book quotes that doing bag/pad work with 18oz's or 20oz is great for developing speed and power. This is inline with the general principle that to improve speed and power, it is best practiced with low but quality (100%) reps, with long rest ( Plyometrics, Ballistic method, etc). Generally I use my 18oz on my High intensity days ( Tuesdays, Fridays) until using them is not conducive to technique( which doesn't take long!) and then I switch to 10 oz's for technique.

I guess if you had to prioritize one over the other, I spend a solid 4-5 days a week using my 10oz's, and I use my heavier gloves only twice a week, and for a relatively brief amount of time. So get a 10-12oz glove if you could only get one pair.

Also to stay in line with your thought out criteria:
148, in between a beginner and amateur. I've been waiting to get my dental work done, (need wisdom teeth removed) and get a solid custom mouthguard before considering a smoker or amateur bout.

Work sought: 2 days a week, I work on training at my anaerobic threshold first, but try to keep in mind technique second for 10-20 mins. 3 days a week I work exclusively on slowed down technique for 60-90 mins at a time.

Gloves: I use my Ringside IMF's 18 ozs and my Top Ten superfight 10oz. Both foam injected gloves. I bought the top tens for like 40 bucks on ebay!

Construction: Love my ringsides, great protection, but I wish I had Ring to Cage since people are liking those more than Ringsides lately. Love my Top Tens for the protection it gives at the weight. I have my eye on the Rival D3O's as my next pair of bag gloves. I don't notice any flaws in the stitching on both gloves, and they're both comfortable to me. I will note people tend to think the Top Ten's have awkward thumb placement, but is a nonissue for me since I cut the thumb attachment for my bag gloves to make a better fists. I always check with my coach to make sure they don't mind, and its not like I'm sparring with them.

Last edited:
Back