BOXING FOOTWORK

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
stumbled across this video, thought it was pretty good

How do you step forward and rear hand, or are not suppose to do that? I mean I have my way of doing it, but I want to know what the canon is for that.

First vid crosses his feet alot. Instant knockdown (2 point loss) if you get even jabbed while crossed

stumbled across this video, thought it was pretty good

Why is he crossing his feet?

I understand the walk offs, and pivots. I don't understand why he's drilling intentionally crossing his feet. That is a no no in most boxing gyms. Easy way to get caught, and dropped.

Other than that, fundamental footwork. Usually see it done in a ring, not bad. Good stuff.

First vid crosses his feet alot. Instant knockdown (2 point loss) if you get even jabbed while crossed

I was thinking the same thing. I saw the walk off which was good. He pivots left well. Don't understand the reason behind crossing the lead foot over the rear. Don't see the right pivot practiced is the only other thing I'd question. Can only pivot one way might become predictable.

i was always taught to never cross my feet either. its even a bigger no no in MT, however it is something that can does get used in boxing. i know off the top of my head i have seen rigondeaux and prince naseem cross their feet on purpose. I was taught this foot crossing thing a while back a few years ago.

i was always taught to never cross my feet either. its even a bigger no no in MT, however it is something that can does get used in boxing. i know off the top of my head i have seen rigondeaux and prince naseem cross their feet on purpose. I was taught this foot crossing thing a while back a few years ago.

I get it at long, like at the start of a fight, i just havent seen any need for it when engaging/pulling away from an opponent...and it seems way too dangerous to use laterally within mid-distance.

Also the switching feet, that's just something people do, doesnt seem to have any bearing on attack/defense, which is what i figured all footwork drills should be for

You can cross your feet as much as you like if you are controlling the distance and position of your opponent.

I get it at long, like at the start of a fight, i just havent seen any need for it when engaging/pulling away from an opponent...and it seems way too dangerous to use laterally within mid-distance.

Also the switching feet, that's just something people do, doesnt seem to have any bearing on attack/defense, which is what i figured all footwork drills should be for

I was taught crossing your feet footwork at RJJ gym in vegas when I trained there about a year ago or so.

you can see naseem cross his feet here

you can see rigondeaux cross his feet, and also do that exact same drill from my first post during sparring right here

i agree with what you are saying, its maybe a high risk high reward move, or even a high risk low reward move. I would consider more along the lines of advanced or fancy footwork.

When you cross your feet your able to cover more distance and create more of a angle, its kind of like a pivot or something along those lines but you can be off balance etc. I think its more of a boxing move than anything because you dont need to worry about your legs getting taken out. That being said you could use it in MMA or MT, just make sure your at a safe distance, or even in close distance if your able to time it correclty, or just take the risk.

I was taught crossing your feet footwork at RJJ gym in vegas when I trained there about a year ago or so.

you can see rigondeaux cross his feet, and also do that exact same drill from my first post during sparring right here

i agree with what you are saying, its maybe a high risk high reward move, or even a high risk low reward move. I would consider more along the lines of advanced or fancy footwork.

When you cross your feet your able to cover more distance and create more of a angle, its kind of like a pivot or something along those lines but you can be off balance etc. I think its more of a boxing move than anything because you dont need to worry about your legs getting taken out. That being said you could use it in MMA or MT, just make sure your at a safe distance, or even in close distance if your able to time it correclty, or just take the risk.

I feel like it's only necessary to do that if you know your opponents not going to attack or if your out of punching range in boxing. I think it makes more sense that way. Just because you want to be more smart about it.

@Sinister what do you think of this drill?

Sam has always had bit of an awkward style. His movements remind me of how the Eastern Bloc and Cuban fighters side-step, albeit a big watered-down and over-dramatized. The basic premise of getting an angle, and always looking to get a "better" position to deliver a punch where the opponent can't defend themselves well is sound. From there it's just a variance of mechanics.

Personally I'm not an advocate of crossing the feet. Though I've seen trainers who are very forgiving of it, and pretty much every fighter alive does at one point or another. I've just never seen a situation where it's consistently beneficial unless there's a distinct difference in class of the opposition and the one doing the crossing is in no real danger.

Sam has always had bit of an awkward style. His movements remind me of how the Eastern Bloc and Cuban fighters side-step, albeit a big watered-down and over-dramatized. The basic premise of getting an angle, and always looking to get a "better" position to deliver a punch where the opponent can't defend themselves well is sound. From there it's just a variance of mechanics.

Do you have any good drills to practice cutting angles?

the way he jabs and steps outside the lead foot with his lead foot reminded me of that step you showed me as a southpaw when your opponent throws a right hand. I still use the hell out of that movement when ever I spar. as soon as I get guys right hand timed i prefer that lead step over stepping out to my left with my left foot

How do you step forward and rear hand, or are not suppose to do that? I mean I have my way of doing it, but I want to know what the canon is for that.
I always wondered this as no one had ever explained this to me.
I did watch a video though which said to step your rear leg in just before you throw the right, after your jab.

Starts at 03:00 mins in

the way he jabs and steps outside the lead foot with his lead foot reminded me of that step you showed me as a southpaw when your opponent throws a right hand. I still use the hell out of that movement when ever I spar. as soon as I get guys right hand timed i prefer that lead step over stepping out to my left with my left foot

It is similar but I don't see a purpose to the jab being there. It's barely a slap and you don't need it. If you're going to slip and jab the body then just do that, remain solid, and make a move after. That's what I'd recommend.

It is similar but I don't see a purpose to the jab being there. It's barely a slap and you don't need it. If you're going to slip and jab the body then just do that, remain solid, and make a move after. That's what I'd recommend.
agree. I like teaching the slip jab to counter the jab followed up by a cross. Also handy for mma guys- slip and jab while you jab and take your penetrating step for a take down

Back