Boxing for Kickboxing... who should I replicate?

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have trained Kickboxing (and MT to a lesser exent) in and out for a lot of years. Now I have been practicing Kickboxing for like 3 months straight 3x at week and now Im also adding boxing twice a week to refine my hands (I can box but they could use some work).

My primary interest is Kickboxing and I my plan is use boxing as a comlement... so I dont see much value in developing (for example) a good Philly Shell or some style like that because it does not work that good.

Who are the boxers whose styles you would recommend me to watch and try to replicate?

FWIW Im 5`8, 135lbs and my KB style is more like dutch oriented (can also fight from Thai and Karate stance but I dont love it).

Hello guys,

I have trained Kickboxing (and MT to a lesser exent) in and out for a lot of years. Now I have been practicing Kickboxing for like 3 months straight 3x at week and now Im also adding boxing twice a week to refine my hands (I can box but they could use some work).

My primary interest is Kickboxing and I my plan is use boxing as a comlement... so I dont see much value in developing (for example) a good Philly Shell or some style like that because it does not work that good.

Who are the boxers whose styles you would recommend me to watch and try to replicate?

FWIW Im 5`8, 135lbs and my KB style is more like dutch oriented (can also fight from Thai and Karate stance but I dont love it).

Look up nieky holzken, robin van roosmalen, and serhiy adamchuck. You shouldn't be looking at boxers who box, but boxers who transition to muay thai or kickboxing

Somrak Kamsing would disagree.

Samart had some of the best boxing of any Thai fighter I have ever seen.
Arguello had a reasonably upright style that would transtate to kickboxing.

Pretosyan. You would have to translate stuff if you're not a southpaw

Doumbe and Vakhitov have nice boxing for kickboxing imo. Doumbe is a little wild though.

What is your mentality, are you an inside fighter or an outside fighter? If you already have the kicking range down, and are comfortable from the outside based on your background then developing a respectable, and imposing inside game with your hands I think would be good to look into. Watch film studies on Roberto Duran. If you want to further compliment your outside game developing an authoritative jab to disturb your opponent's offense, and rhythm I believe would help as well. Check out Mikey Garcia. Both of these fighters are about your size, and I believe are worth looking into.

Tyrone Spong, Ghokan Saki and to an extent Nieky Holzken.

Yes so terrible that he's now making a career in boxing and had a decent fight vs. Callum Smith.
Terrible fight against Callum smith. That was the one I was referring to.
Has a serious lack of defence. Superglue guard is shit in boxing, it might be ok in kickboxing. Holzken started in boxing as far as I know, if he was any sort of boxer he would have stayed there.

Terrible fight against Callum smith. That was the one I was referring to.
Has a serious lack of defence. Superglue guard is shit in boxing, it might be ok in kickboxing. Holzken started in boxing as far as I know, if he was any sort of boxer he would have stayed there.

He started in MT actually.

And regardless of his fight vs. Callum Smith, he's still one of the best boxers in Kickboxing, not many would do what he's doing in boxing.

I'd start by looking at who has similar body type as you who is successful. If you're tall no point in trying to fight like Tyson or fighting like Ali if you're short

I'd look for kickboxers to replicate who are hands heavy

Larry Holmes

A crisp boxing jab can take you a long way even in kickboxing/Muay Thai. Try not to emulate boxers who frequently dip their head low, as this habit can lead to you ducking right into a knee or head kick.

If you're making a list of names, then here's another:

Branko Cikatic.

Back