Boxing Gloves? Help.. UK

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently own a cheap pair of RDX gloves and some Twins gloves. I'm really struggling to get used to the Twins gloves (pretty old pair to be honest) and actually prefer the RDX's feel and support, just the overall quality doesn't match that of the Twins.

The Twins gloves feel a bit stubby in size and slightly less supportive than the RDX ones :confused:.. Also my fingers can open and close quite freely inside (assuming that's for being in the MT clinch etc?).

I'm planning on doing a little MT at a later date and will use the Twins gloves for that but in the mean time would like to get a proper 'boxing only' pair of gloves.. Apologies if this sounds really stupid but my coach just told me that Muay Thai gloves do feel different to traditional boxing style ones.

I'm in the UK, any recommendations? I know Fairtex get thrown around a lot on here but I understanding that is also a Muay Thai brand. My budget is around £80-£100, will stretch if quality increases massively for a little more.. cheaper would also be nice haha.

Or do I just shut up and get used to the Twins?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Back when I was doing pure boxing, I always went with Greenhill. Greenhill is a good UK brand and is fairly priced.

If your in the UK like I'am our first bet is to import from the U.S. if your budget is £100 then firstly I would grab a pair of Ring to cage C17'S or stretch your budget a little further for some Sabas supersoft, these are the best gloves other than winning you can buy. If you want to buy from the UK these are the best options for pure boxing gloves;

1; Pro Box pro spar glove (superb glove for £60)
2. Ringside UK pro training glove (most UK pro boxers train in these)
3. Fairtex BGV9 Mexican style glove (very highly rated Mexican style Thai made boxing glove)

There really is hundreds of options but believe me I've spent hundreds on gloves and if you can't afford £300 for the very best in "winning" then the ring to cage C17's are the best glove on the market for under £100 GBP.

Stay away from any glove under £50.

How long have you been training? Obviously everyone is different but if you think a pair of cheap RDX gloves are better than Twins then you need to do some real research on the different quality of gloves available and the protection they offer which is THE most important thing for a boxing glove. I used to own Recoil Sports which is where my knowledge comes from regarding glove quality. I'll probably get people saying "wtf you talking about my rdx gloves are the best I've ever had etc, that's because they haven't yet used a pair of the best gloves on the market and don't actually understand what a proper high quality glove can offer the user.

Although I've just said all that, If you're going to train Muay Thai in the future then you could grab a pair of Boon (one of the best Thai gloves available) or Fairtex as mentioned above, then you can comfortably train generic boxing with them and also use them when training Muay Thai.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions please PM me, also check k out some reviews of my suggestions on Google and YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about, Ben

For pure Boxing I've heard great things about Rival RB1s and they have a UK store and are relatively easy to get hold of, use several of their mitts which are excellent quality. As has already been mentioned Boon are a solid choice if you plan on going into Thaiboxing although be prepared for them to be giant for the weight.

If your in the UK like I'am our first bet is to import from the U.S. if your budget is £100 then firstly I would grab a pair of Ring to cage C17'S or stretch your budget a little further for some Sabas supersoft, these are the best gloves other than winning you can buy. If you want to buy from the UK these are the best options for pure boxing gloves;

1; Pro Box pro spar glove (superb glove for £60)
2. Ringside UK pro training glove (most UK pro boxers train in these)
3. Fairtex BGV9 Mexican style glove (very highly rated Mexican style Thai made boxing glove)

There really is hundreds of options but believe me I've spent hundreds on gloves and if you can't afford £300 for the very best in "winning" then the ring to cage C17's are the best glove on the market for under £100 GBP.

Stay away from any glove under £50.

How long have you been training? Obviously everyone is different but if you think a pair of cheap RDX gloves are better than Twins then you need to do some real research on the different quality of gloves available and the protection they offer which is THE most important thing for a boxing glove. I used to own Recoil Sports which is where my knowledge comes from regarding glove quality. I'll probably get people saying "wtf you talking about my rdx gloves are the best I've ever had etc, that's because they haven't yet used a pair of the best gloves on the market and don't actually understand what a proper high quality glove can offer the user.

Although I've just said all that, If you're going to train Muay Thai in the future then you could grab a pair of Boon (one of the best Thai gloves available) or Fairtex as mentioned above, then you can comfortably train generic boxing with them and also use them when training Muay Thai.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions please PM me, also check k out some reviews of my suggestions on Google and YouTube and you'll see what I'm talking about, Ben

Cheers Ben, some really good info there. I've been training for abut 6-7 months now so still really new to the sport. I have doubts about the authenticity of the Twins gloves anyway to be honest... The velcro doesn't fasten at all anymore (have to tape it :mad:) and they are a second hand pair a mate gave me. A few lads at the gym think they are fakes.

Ideally I could do with trying on a few different gloves.. The Twins just feel kinda stubby if anything, the RDX ones have more length overall and the glove is slightly longer, I also can't really open my hand at all.. It just seems to feel more right for me.

Am I right in saying Ringside UK and Ringside US are different brands? I've seen the Ringside UK have mixed reviews on here.

Cheers for the replies :D

Yep Ringside UK are a different brand, to be fair though rdx gloves might be perfect for you, it's all about personal preference, When I started I found that out quickly so go with what you prefer but at least you can get an idea of what the concesus is on "the best gloves" through this forum which might help :)

I am UK based two, I had a pair of twins and really didn't like them too big like giant pillows. I am now using fairtex BGV9 they are Mexican style boxing glove. I am really please with them have them in 14oz size for bag/pads. If you order them from Thailand you should be able to get them <£70

I am UK based two, I had a pair of twins and really didn't like them too big like giant pillows. I am now using fairtex BGV9 they are Mexican style boxing glove. I am really please with them have them in 14oz size for bag/pads. If you order them from Thailand you should be able to get them <£70

I'll have a look into them Fairtex ones.. I think the word I am looking for is 'Mexican Gloves', I feel that shape and overall aesthetics will appeal to me a bit more.

Dude if you're serious about boxing and really want the best gear, save up some money or sell some shit to get the winning gloves I've just got mine, and they are worth every penny. I used to rock RDX and venum gloves, both are decent but I wish I've just bought winning from the beginning.! If you love the sport, treat yourself and get the gear you want the most.!

We have some great gloves, the Fortis Elite boxing gloves.

Super comfortable, great wrist support, lightweight and made with the best materials.

IMG-20170601-WA0017.png

IMG-20170601-WA0043.png

Use 30BOXING at checkout to get a 30% discount.

Link to the Amazon listing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072JQJ7BF

Back