Boxing gloves ripping my hands up/knuckle

XxaemaeThxX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm using 12 oz. Ring to Cage gloves I just got a few days ago, but they are ripping the skin on my pinky fingers on both hands real bad, it's burns like f***k, and makes it hard to even hit the heavy bag. It's also giving me some knuckle pain on my middle knuckle on my right hand (jab hand, I'm south paw) also:
G4TxNDo.png

bQZZZkY.png

These are the 12oz Ring to Cage gloves that caused this:
CdhHni5.png

It might not look that bad, but it's actually pretty deep in real life, and you can imagine how bad in burns inside the glove when there is sweat and the inner lining is running on the open sore.

Do you guys reckon I just to try to different gloves, with either bigger or smaller hand compartment? These are pretty snug with hands wraps on, much better than my Top Kings, which were too tight. Or do I need to move up on oz. or something? These are 12oz as stated above. I'm 5'10, 190lbs muscular but cutting down to 170lbs, I also been hitting the heavy bag for years and never had the problem, these were my previous gloves 16oz:
G0qYraD.png

These Venum gloves kinda suck actually, I think they are synthetic leather, and they are loose with the hand wraps on , but believe it or not, I never had any pain or cuts on my hands/fingers with these pillow like crappy MMA gloves.

The oz shouldnt matter, it'll be the gloves youre using. Personally I wouldn't spend less than $50 on a pair anymore. Sometimes gloves just break-in shitty too though. I use cleto reyes for the past 2 years and LOVE them

Why not send them back? Gloves shouldn't be tearing you up!

What does the liner feel/look like in those gloves?

What does the liner feel/look like in those gloves?

It's supposed to be "heavy duty nylon lining" i believe.

I was looking for reviews, and didn't want to spend the $ on the top 3, i.e. winning, reyes, or grant and Ring to Cage c17 was right at #4 position at 100$. The reviews were amazing.

I was using 16 oz. mediocre Venum Elite gloves ($80 gloves) before, and my hands were always fine.

The gloves are way snugger and feel good, and I am forced to make a fist when I punch the bag and I can feel my knuckles make contact and any slight error in position makes a bad punch, whereas my 16oz Venums felt like pillows and I could disregard punching form and just throw pretty hard.

Not sure why these gloves fucked my hands up, but my knuckles were sore as fuck bruised on my right jab hand, and my pinkys were complete sliced up deep as fuck.

I guess I might just order some 16oz SABAS at this point, maybe 12oz bag gloves are just not for me. I was punching hard as fuck and training real hard with my 16 oz VENUMS (which again were like loose pillows on my hand).

Maybe transitioning down to 12oz proper-fitting Mexican style boxing gloves was too much for my power and why my hands got all fucked? IDK

Breaking gloves in usually has some knuckle pain (for me anyways), but the skin tearing definitely should not happen, just means bad liner or its broken in badly i think

While i’m Certainly not one to deter someone from buying a new pair of gloves, I wonder if the way you wrap your hands could be at play here. The cloth looks like it rides up pretty close to the injury and it may be being pushed up even higher when it’s in the glove. You could try a different style on that hand to see if you notice any difference, may save you a few bucks, or may just be a waste of time.

Also i’m not sure if you said the R2Cs you’re using are C17s, but if so, then that is a Japanese style glove and not a Mexican style glove, so you could always try the sabas in the 12oz if you still prefer using a lighter weight glove.

While i’m Certainly not one to deter someone from buying a new pair of gloves, I wonder if the way you wrap your hands could be at play here. The cloth looks like it rides up pretty close to the injury and it may be being pushed up even higher when it’s in the glove. You could try a different style on that hand to see if you notice any difference, may save you a few bucks, or may just be a waste of time.

Also i’m not sure if you said the R2Cs you’re using are C17s, but if so, then that is a Japanese style glove and not a Mexican style glove, so you could always try the sabas in the 12oz if you still prefer using a lighter weight glove.

yes they are the C17 2.0. And I'll double check my hand wrapping today.

And yes, my bad, I thought the fact the C17 were winning replicas, I thought the WINNING design (albeit produced in japan) was based on the mexican glove design like Reyes.

And if I shoot for the SABAS, it looks like 12oz is a rarity and only 14 and 16 are listed on their site. I noticed my knuckle is bruised too so the padding on this R2C 12oz glove may not be enough, I'm 5'10 190lbs atm, but I heard the 12oz is good for speed work and technique so thought I could get away with it.

put athletic tape over the friction spots beforehand

if you don't have athletic tape just use duct tape (it's stickier and messier with residue when it comes off but oh well)

---

It also looks like you're using those crappy hard cloth wraps. Forget those

Use stretchy (mexican style) wraps (180 inch), feels like a million bucks and they protect even better. Revgear, RingToCage, Everlast, Ringside all make good stretchy/mexican wraps. Try a couple different ones in case you like one brand better (some of them have been having quality control issues lately)

Any gloves can do this, honestly when I first started my hands got torn up, they'll callus up and you'll be fine. It just means you had dainty little girl hands (My mum had me doing piano until 11 when I had other ideas) so my hands were the same. if you can't handle a few blisters and push through it with a band-aid on then boxing isn't for you. It's also caused by poor technique, you're slapping the bag rather than hitting it with your knuckles, another common issue when beginning. When I returned from my 6 year break from boxing, I did the same thing again, my technique sucked. my hands were soft and pretty and my knuckles got blistered and sore. make sure you're making contact with your knuckle not your fingers.

This has never happened to me. Check to make sure the liner isnt dirty. Maybe some dirt/sand ended up inside the glove causing it to sand down that area of your hand. Causing some serious irritation.

Its that or the glove is simply too small. Contact ring to cage and return the 12 oz for a 16 oz. the 16 oz is bigger in size.

Either way i would contact ring to cage for an exchange. That isnt supposed to happen

This has never happened to me. Check to make sure the liner isnt dirty. Maybe some dirt/sand ended up inside the glove causing it to sand down that area of your hand. Causing some serious irritation.

Its that or the glove is simply too small. Contact ring to cage and return the 12 oz for a 16 oz. the 16 oz is bigger in size.

Either way i would contact ring to cage for an exchange. That isnt supposed to happen

They are brand new. I bought them from ebay and the guy even included the receipt from R2C and it was like bought in November 2017.

I just ordered some 16oz SABAS which feel amazing! I think the R2C might be shaped oddly /too tight for my hand hence all the issues. I also was trying 12oz for the first time, only using 16oz, but i don't think there was enough padding on the knuckles either on the gloves ( I also hit hard I believe just from what I seen vs. other guys my size on the heavy bag).

I will post a review on the SABAS gloves in a few days. I've only had like 4 pairs of boxing gloves, and I never had Reyes, or Winning or GRANT, so I don't have the biggest "palette" for boxing gloves, but my god do these SABAS feel amazing. They like contort to your hand and fit perfectly and the leather feels super high quality. will post review as stated earlier

They are brand new. I bought them from ebay and the guy even included the receipt from R2C and it was like bought in November 2017.

I just ordered some 16oz SABAS which feel amazing! I think the R2C might be shaped oddly /too tight for my hand hence all the issues. I also was trying 12oz for the first time, only using 16oz, but i don't think there was enough padding on the knuckles either on the gloves ( I also hit hard I believe just from what I seen vs. other guys my size on the heavy bag).

I will post a review on the SABAS gloves in a few days. I've only had like 4 pairs of boxing gloves, and I never had Reyes, or Winning or GRANT, so I don't have the biggest "palette" for boxing gloves, but my god do these SABAS feel amazing. They like contort to your hand and fit perfectly and the leather feels super high quality. will post review as stated earlier

Grant aren't as great as they're made out, Cleto's are good for training, Winning are good for everything. I'd love to try SABAS and after I get my Topboxer or Onx gloves SABAS is my next target.

Grant are super expensive for what you get.

Sabas do feel good but my padding must have been defective as they are starting to bottom out faster than any glove ive ever owned. Pretty pissed about it actually.

Reyes and winning are stellar. A gajillion post about them.

Grant are super expensive for what you get.

Sabas do feel good but my padding must have been defective as they are starting to bottom out faster than any glove ive ever owned. Pretty pissed about it actually.

Reyes and winning are stellar. A gajillion post about them.

Thai brands like Fairtex and Twins are starting to edge towards Reyes quality in the boxing only market.

Finger looks just like a friction burn to me, probably where the gloves are a bit tight and the liner is caused to rub on the fingers. I'd have suggested a glove with a softer lining and a roomier hand compartment.

Just tape the finger up until it heals. Hopefully the SABAS gloves are a bit better.

The gloves are way snugger and feel good, and I am forced to make a fist when I punch the bag and I can feel my knuckles make contact and any slight error in position makes a bad punch

Not to be that guy, but you want to make sure it isn't that you've been punching badly and not noticed because your previous gloves were so forgiving.

i wouldn't go with either brand. i would recommend that you spend a bit more money for a better pair of gloves.

I'm glad others are beginning to experience this; I don't think it's a defect. The price of really soft and comfortable padding is that it lasts for two weeks.

i wouldn't go with either brand. i would recommend that you spend a bit more money for a better pair of gloves.
I think it basically comes down to spending money on quality gear. While not all expensive gear is good, cheap gear tends to be pretty cheap in quality as well (no matter how nice they might look). That's been my experience, for the most part. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

Back