Boxing - hitting while going backwarda

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have a weird success in the last spar session doing that. I spar with way more experienced people and funny it works for me.

I have practiced a lot this on my own and in the gym. When I see some one is attacking me I go for a double jab and cross and while still my cross has not landed yet, my double jab lands more often both strikes. I be tried cross jab cross going backwards and they usually stop still when I trow the cross. It feels like an amazing defensive tool. Only once I got catches with a liver shot under my cross from a SP.

Anyway it feels like cheating using this new tool and it feels amazing. I really worked hard to coordinate my feet to hit properly while going backwards.

Anyone with a similar experience? Any additional tips or moves?

Now the even weirder experience. I have no clue what to do once I have found my range. Going forward. Let's say I have just finished my 1-2 or my 1-1-2. It may have not landed but I have not been countered and my partner is usually in a high guard. I am getting a freebe hit usually a jab or a cross to the body but it feels like I can do way more.

So what can I do when I end up in a good position in range? In the past I would spam 1-2-1-2, 2-1-2 but it seems it does not work for me nowadays and I usually get countered pretty badly. Advice's tips please.

I am a SP kickboxer but i also find great success in 1-1-2 moving backwards lol.
I think you should start concentrating on imposing your will meaning: force your opponent to move where you want them to move and that way make the openings to throw the punches you want to throw instead of always doing 1-2, you can try uppercut to the jaw, hooks to the body etc. Also do some faints let them guess what's coming so they are never sure if you're gonna punch or not. - I love boxing put I rely a lot on my kicks for setting up my punches in sparring so I'm not sure if you can use my advise or not

Also you can try to snipe so your punches I love doing that, make them miss and make them pay! I pressure my opponent until they are forced to move forward throwing punches only to get punched right in the face with my rear uppercut or right hook

Change levels mixing it up. If you do the same thing over and over it becomes predictable. Besides these are people you spar with regularly , so youve used it too many times for them to see.

When in doubt,
Bang harder

i try not to go back further than 2 steps i like to throw a hook as im pivoting off alot of people llike to pivot then throw but i prefer to throw as im pivoting/circling

Chuck Liddell had a great overhand moving backwards. A lot of hi ko’s came from retreating, setting dead in his tracks, then launching that haymaker. He’d cut angle too then throw

Last edited:
i try not to go back further than 2 steps i like to throw a hook as im pivoting off alot of people llike to pivot then throw but i prefer to throw as im pivoting/circling

Why not? There is some really neat stuff going on when you time your punches going backwards. I am surprised from the effect to be honest.

I am a SP kickboxer but i also find great success in 1-1-2 moving backwards lol.
I think you should start concentrating on imposing your will meaning: force your opponent to move where you want them to move and that way make the openings to throw the punches you want to throw instead of always doing 1-2, you can try uppercut to the jaw, hooks to the body etc. Also do some faints let them guess what's coming so they are never sure if you're gonna punch or not. - I love boxing put I rely a lot on my kicks for setting up my punches in sparring so I'm not sure if you can use my advise or not

The problem with imposing my will is that I really get fucked up when I try to push forward, cause I literally have no clue what to do against these guys. Sometimes they let me work and I am able to push forward but then I get countered badly. I am actually not too bad into cutting the ring and etc, but the guys I spar with are better than me and I rarely find myself into the center of the ring and pushing them to the corner or to the ropes.

Change levels mixing it up. If you do the same thing over and over it becomes predictable. Besides these are people you spar with regularly , so youve used it too many times for them to see.

When in doubt,
Bang harder

I try to change levels indeed. It is just I am really not good for all that. For example one time I tried to go jab head, jab body and while comming up for a cross I got met with a cross which almost dropped my jaw on the floor haha :) So I am retaliating for things that I am good at - the double jab cross and the jab cross and occasionally some lead hook cross or cross hook.

I have tried adding some long range uppercuts but I always miss with these and I have very little success with the rear hook. I obviously need to practice more. The only time I get a freeby is when I make them get a high guard blocks to my jabs or cross and then I get a freeby hit low with a jab or a cross.

I really dont want to bang harder as my friends can bang harder than me if they want to :D

Last edited:
Why not? There is some really neat stuff going on when you time your punches going backwards. I am surprised from the effect to be honest.

Dudeguyman:it might be that he is a bigger or more aggressive guy. I find that going forward is easier against more defensive people and vice versa. Just depends on the situation.

The problem with imposing my will is that I really get fucked up when I try to push forward, cause I literally have no clue what to do against these guys. Sometimes they let me work and I am able to push forward but then I get countered badly. I am actually not too bad into cutting the ring and etc, but the guys I spar with are better than me and I rarely find myself into the center of the ring and pushing them to the corner or to the ropes.

Dudeguyman:dude imagine, when you get to the same level of the guys you spar, you'll have really good fucking defense from getting your ass handed to you by those guys.

I try to change levels indeed. It is just I am really not good for all that. For example one time I tried to go jab head, jab body and while comming up for a cross I got met with a cross which almost dropped my jaw on the floor haha :) So I am retaliating for things that I am good at - the double jab cross and the jab cross and occasionally some lead hook cross or cross hook.

I have tried adding some long range uppercuts but I always miss with these and I have very little success with the rear hook. I obviously need to practice more. The only time I get a freeby is when I make them get a high guard blocks to my jabs or cross and then I get a freeby hit low with a jab or a cross.

I really dont want to bang harder as my friends can bang harder than me if they want to :D

i think from mma prespective with 4 oz gloves its to dangerous to playa round with stuff like that your asking to get knocked out why risk it

Its always slower to backstep compared to someone going forward. Your technique really has to be perfect all the time to pull it off whereas its easier as the forward moving aggressor. Its essentially running uphill. Then there's the part of giving up ring/cage control moving backwards too much. The ring/cage is smaller than we think, 2-3 big strides backwards from the center, and you're on the ropes already

I feel from this that you're looking too much into what your opponent can do instead of your own offense. You just need more time being put in this situation more. When you start thinking about defending his counter instead of throwing your own combos it goes downhill.

hmmm, one method I liked to do when doing 2 consecutive straights at a level change is instead of rising up on the cross upstairs, I kinda stay lowered, and use an overhand instead. I don't really need to see since I'm already in range and really in pocket territory.

One of my favorite sneakiest liver shots is a cross to the body, countering their cross. If their form is proper, as in they pivot and roll the shoulders, step off the line and throw the cross. Them using proper form actually opens up the liver. If they don't, then its an arm punch and you wouldn't take any real damage from that anyways

Ul83kOy.png

To bait this out it would be kinda like spam a bit of 1,1,2 with the level changes, then when you decide to do it for real: 1 (head), 1 (body) -> fake coming up for the 2, but instead of straight up, step off the line, then throw it. If he's a speedy Gonzales and wants to blow his load like a 16 year old ASAP, you'll be able to catch him.

I've had success with a jab -> lead upper (same tempo as a double jab), as you throw the upper, step off the line, then throw the cross. The cross is the real strike in this combo, and you're off an angle so it goes through the guard nicely.

solution: ground and pound bros

It sound like you're just don't like to exchange punches, move forward, eat a jab or a 1-2, cut of the ring and just let it rain on them trust my they will be surprised if they are not used to you coming forward.

So haha a little update from today.

I did try few things. Like jab-lead uppercut-cross and I almost landed the lead upper cut on my SP friend and he got a bit scared comming forward. Then I did a jab-slip-uppercut body and got him.
Then I was leading a lot with a cross and landed. Then faked the cross and landed hooks. Then landed a couple of good jabs. Then I was pretty much doing lead hook-cross or lead cross-hook and it was all going on pretty well. But this time he indeed let me work a lot and I ate only one significant jab. I have been trying a lot to stop him with hooks or crosses after his jabs or lead hooks and I kind of did succeed.

My ortodox friend, who is the most experience, let me work a lot really, he always does and I was able to land one good over hand and one hook. And I was able to catch most of his explosive shots (he is very and I mean very explosive) but he kind of does not want to hit me, or even when he hits me he stops his shots. I ve discovered something really interesting against Orthodox fighters - it is pretty easy to step to the right and cut them centrally with a lead hook then add a 1-2-1-2 going to the right behind their lead food especially if they are in a wider bladed stance.

Another interesting thing is ducking under your cross, step right and hook going up and then again 1-2-1-2 going behind them. I ve got blocked but it did look nice.

And I was able to catch most of his explosive shots (he is very and I mean very explosive) but he kind of does not want to hit me, or even when he hits me he stops his shots.
So you're saying he's very athletic and explosive?

He doesn't want to bang, so bang him harder

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Glad it worked out better for you with the SP! The cross is seriously key to beat a southpaw

Chuck Liddell had a great overhand moving backwards. A lot of hi ko’s came from retreating, setting dead in his tracks, then launching that haymaker. He’d cut angle too then throw
very underated. at he peak he was one of the best ko artists mma has ever seen.

Back