Boxing Mitt Work

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Heres a little clip of myself working some boxing Mitts with my boxing coach before my last fight. The clip is shortened and edited, I was very tired towards the end, the clip is only 2 minutes but I was more like a 5 minute round.

That's awesome and a quick question. What's the gravity level do you have your gravity chamber set up to?

latest

Heres a little clip of myself working some boxing Mitts with my boxing coach before my last fight. The clip is shortened and edited, I was very tired towards the end, the clip is only 2 minutes but I was more like a 5 minute round.

2/10

Learn from the best

To be honest I do not like this pad work. It is static. A good pad holder should simulate a fight. He should make you move. Make you find range with shot selection then when in range practice another combo.

My current coach is making us move do a double jab outside of range or jab or just cross and comment on these if they are not with a.good technique we repeat.

Then when in range he would make us.practice 2_1_2 for example and then shout to keep the.range. you are in range now. Dont jump back keep the range. He will then make us do close range combo with some uppercuts or keep walking forward with some combo with mostly strights and then add the uppercuts.

Then again we move. He.may make us do some slip and pivot and then attack us and make us do a combo walking backwards.

To be honest I do not like this pad work. It is static. A good pad holder should simulate a fight. He should make you move. Make you find range with shot selection then when in range practice another combo.

My current coach is making us move do a double jab outside of range or jab or just cross and comment on these if they are not with a.good technique we repeat.

Then when in range he would make us.practice 2_1_2 for example and then shout to keep the.range. you are in range now. Dont jump back keep the range. He will then make us do close range combo with some uppercuts or keep walking forward with some combo with mostly strights and then add the uppercuts.

Then again we move. He.may make us do some slip and pivot and then attack us and make us do a combo walking backwards.

Theres many different ways to hold pads to work different things. This guy is one of the best boxing coaches I have met in my life. The jump back you described is a counter known as a pull.

Theres many different ways to hold pads to work different things. This guy is one of the best boxing coaches I have met in my life. The jump back you described is a counter known as a pull.

Aham gotcha. So you were drilling something specific here. Sorry then, man. Just looked way different from what we do in general. I am very happy with my pad holding it is just too bad our coach is lazy to do more than 2 rounds per person on the pads. Like when you are on the pads you study distance management with him and some shot selections on the different distances. But we are mostly newbies :)

Aham gotcha. So you were drilling something specific here. Sorry then, man. Just looked way different from what we do in general. I am very happy with my pad holding it is just too bad our coach is lazy to do more than 2 rounds per person on the pads. Like when you are on the pads you study distance management with him and some shot selections on the different distances. But we are mostly newbies :)

long fast combination sets build speed, build you "letting" your hands go so when you do throw, you throw in combination rather than just 1 shot, building reaction. The main goal of this drill was to build my last 3 shot combo at the end, the cross hook cross, with an emphasis on getting power and fully rotating on my final cross. So the idea is all the punches etc before are more or less to simulate an exchange, and then ripping those big 3 shots at the end of the exchange. Myself and my coach are not sitting there thinking I would throw that entire combination in a fight.

Why the wide stance ? Vulnerable on low kicks that way. It sound of the punching is good but you need to throw the punches when your are MOVING instead of standing still. This is hard to do in such a wide stance, since stepping in will make your stance even wider. I would suggest adopting a smaller stance (jumping rope width, and the step in will make your stance wider, which will give rise to the opportunity to close the distance between both feet, and it makes you move. This will also make your stance small again , so blocking is a lot easier.

Also combine kicking and punching. Don' just punch since you will be a one dimensional mt fighter.

Good luck

Why the wide stance ? Vulnerable on low kicks that way. It sound of the punching is good but you need to throw the punches when your are MOVING instead of standing still. This is hard to do in such a wide stance, since stepping in will make your stance even wider. I would suggest adopting a smaller stance (jumping rope width, and the step in will make your stance wider, which will give rise to the opportunity to close the distance between both feet, and it makes you move. This will also make your stance small again , so blocking is a lot easier.

Also combine kicking and punching. Don' just punch since you will be a one dimensional mt fighter.

Good luck

lol, he's a professional muay thai fighter, he's doing boxing specific training.

Also @shincheckin - I know its a combination of the microphone and echo in the room, but every single grunt you make sounds like a video game sound effect

This whole thread is too strange for me to understand... I think my mind blacks out when I see some words associated together... Like Muay Thai and Boxing/punching.

Oh man, I feel sick just writing it.

Quick... some Sarama to relax.

lol, he's a professional muay thai fighter, he's doing boxing specific training.

Also @shincheckin - I know its a combination of the microphone and echo in the room, but every single grunt you make sounds like a video game sound effect
Its Street Fighter 2 Shin! You can use his voice over for the bonus stages where you punch the car til it explodes

I'm more impressed by his ability to train in that godawful noise.

This quote makes no sense. I am here to give an outlook from a dutch kickboxing angle. If you feel my points are inaccurate please counter them so that I might learn something from you. Point is this: you train as you fight, if you train like a muay thai fighter that is neglecting kicks during training, you are going to fight that way too.

Back