Boxing - Orthodox vs Orthodox

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Now I ran into another problem with Orto vs Orto spars.

We have 3 new guys in the group and while they are new I struggle.
In ortodox vs orthodox there is a lot of glove and hand hitting and it seems very difficult to land anything. Even if I try hard and find an oppening for my right hand I often hit their hands as they are trying to jab at the same time.

Any tips regarding that? How do you guys avoid all that hand and glove hitting? How do you find the oppenings?

One particular technique I use is to prepare my right hand for catching their jab and jabbing in the same time as they jab. But it is really hard to time or provoke them to jab. But with the jabs I mean if you try hard you can land a jab. However setting up that right hand is the major problem .

drills we do are parrying their jab with our right hand and immediately throwing our right over it while theyre open. Also slipping their right hand and using the torque from the slip to come back with our left hook

if you cannot land straight punches because youre both using a tight high guard, throw some hooks to their body to drop the hands. Then you can feint - then throw to the head and avoid their gloves.

you can also throw 3 - 2 combinations . Land the hook so it pushes them into your cross.

maybe you and your sparring partners are facing off on a straight line / too bladed. I don't really know how to explain it here.

Straight right to the body, bro. It changes everything if you can feint well.

if you cannot land straight punches because youre both using a tight high guard, throw some hooks to their body to drop the hands. Then you can feint - then throw to the head and avoid their gloves.

you can also throw 3 - 2 combinations . Land the hook so it pushes them into your cross.

maybe you and your sparring partners are facing off on a straight line / too bladed. I don't really know how to explain it here.

Nah it is mostly because we are tought to play with the left hands. We do a lot of jab wars and we are tought to always engage with the jab when the stance is the same. So even the new guys know how to use that left hand to push, to block, to measure distance and etc. And a lot of the round goes into this left hand battles with no opnenings for anything else.

If I go to hook it means I really need to be in distance already as it is a shorter punch. I often use an opening of 3-2 against my SP friend leaping a bit forward or when the distance is right. I am going to see how it works for the orthodox guys.

Straight right to the body, bro. It changes everything if you can feint well.
The only problem I have with the straight right to the body is that I cant deliver power. I am going to work on it, tnx.

Nah it is mostly because we are tought to play with the left hands. We do a lot of jab wars and we are tought to always engage with the jab when the stance is the same. So even the new guys know how to use that left hand to push, to block, to measure distance and etc. And a lot of the round goes into this left hand battles with no opnenings for anything else.

If I go to hook it means I really need to be in distance already as it is a shorter punch. I often use an opening of 3-2 against my SP friend leaping a bit forward or when the distance is right. I am going to see how it works for the orthodox guys.

The only problem I have with the straight right to the body is that I cant deliver power. I am going to work on it, tnx.
i had a debate with someone on here a while ago about the straight right to the body, i don't find it a very effective punch against orthodox fighters that have good posture. work on throwing the right hook to the body ( it is a shorter punch and doesn't leave you as open for counters).

I agree, it is a bit awkward to get power on a straight right to the body. Floyd Mayweather did it very well vs McGregor last year and essentially won the fight with straight right hands to the body and head iirc. Dmitry Bivol is a guy to watch as 80% of his punches are straight punches, namely straight right and a jab. He has really good success with it.

I need some more help here.

I realised I have the problem of the left hand agsinst the.much taller and much stronger and heavier guys.

Basically 3 of the guys are Orthodox but one is just slightly taller than me and I have no problems landing against him.

However two of the guys are like 10-15 kg heavier and 10-20 cm taller.

I seriously struggle with their left jab and afraid of their cross. How do I get in a comfortable range with them?

I am told to slip. Sure I can slip a jab but I cant really slip and move forward, especially as we are tought to to punch and go backwards. I actually had the.most success with parrying their jab and going for cross and hook to enter the distance.

I have some success with dips. When I duck under their jab I am able to walk forward and shorten the distance. But this entire whole stuff seems to advanced for me to deal with when all they have to do is jab and cross.

I need some more help here.

I realised I have the problem of the left hand agsinst the.much taller and much stronger and heavier guys.

Basically 3 of the guys are Orthodox but one is just slightly taller than me and I have no problems landing against him.

However two of the guys are like 10-15 kg heavier and 10-20 cm taller.

I seriously struggle with their left jab and afraid of their cross. How do I get in a comfortable range with them?

I am told to slip. Sure I can slip a jab but I cant really slip and move forward, especially as we are tought to to punch and go backwards. I actually had the.most success with parrying their jab and going for cross and hook to enter the distance.

I have some success with dips. When I duck under their jab I am able to walk forward and shorten the distance. But this entire whole stuff seems to advanced for me to deal with when all they have to do is jab and cross.
Try to parry their arm more. When you have a contact point it kinda helps to feel how to move in. Other than that distance control and follow the punches back in I guess. Easier said than done.

Back