Boxing vs Kickboxing for MMA

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Which do you think better prepares fighters for MMA? Provided that ground game is covered, what style do you think better suits MMA striking?

Boxing is good for hands but kickboxing usually doesn't cover the hands as well. Take both, because you'll see value in both. Boxing wont teach you kicks, but they'll help you with pure hand strikes. When you take kickboxing you'll notice they focus less on punching and there's a few important stuff they exclude in kickboxing. On the same token, you'll learn no kicks in boxing so why not do both?

You can get away with very few kicks in mma, boxing is way more important. Oh it depends on how tall you are actually, if you're tall for your class then kicks will help a lot, maybe kickboxing will do.

depends on what your grappling style is if its judo or greco then kick boxing can be great since its more of a upright stance for folkstyle i think boxings better i prefer boxing for my style as i like to use my hands and stance and feet to get myself into hit my doubles bodylocks ect

You can get away with very few kicks in mma, boxing is way more important. Oh it depends on how tall you are actually, if you're tall for your class then kicks will help a lot, maybe kickboxing will do.
yeah most guys throw random leg kicks all the time i love when people leg or body kick its a free blast double at good levels t really use kicks well you gotta have fast hands first to get there hands up afraid then start to blast the legs.

if a guy doesnt have good hands but likes to kick alot i dont even worry much about his punches waiting on that kick to counter i feel in a sport like mma kicking is the last thing needed to b developed personally

Kickboxing because punching going to be different if you can add in leg kicks, clinches w/knee strikes. KB will give you enough to defend the punches. Boxing will not give you enough to defend the kicks, and knees, and elbows. There have been plenty of KBers transition successfully into Boxing, much less if any vice versa.

Kickboxing because punching going to be different if you can add in leg kicks, clinches w/knee strikes. KB will give you enough to defend the punches. Boxing will not give you enough to defend the kicks, and knees, and elbows.

mma has evolved a lot since the 90s 2000s when muay thai was the striking style everyone wanted to be good at everyone loved there low kicks and thai clinch to throw knees.. anderson silva vs rich franklin is the last time i really seen the thai clinch being used so well cause guys with takedowns today kill the thai plum. kneeing from the basic over/under clinch is dangerous too.

in a sport like this your footing/balance is superrr important look at how many times guys lost due to slipping in other combat sports the ref lets you up in mma u have a guy who is throwing heavy leather at your face chael sonnen comes to mind with the spinning backfist eh threw he was winning the fight then anderson jumps on him before he can get back up

mma has evolved a lot since the 90s 2000s when muay thai was the striking style everyone wanted to be good at everyone loved there low kicks and thai clinch to throw knees.. anderson silva vs rich franklin is the last time i really seen the thai clinch being used so well cause guys with takedowns today kill the thai plum. kneeing from the basic over/under clinch is dangerous too.

in a sport like this your footing/balance is superrr important look at how many times guys lost due to slipping in other combat sports the ref lets you up in mma u have a guy who is throwing heavy leather at your face chael sonnen comes to mind with the spinning backfist eh threw he was winning the fight then anderson jumps on him before he can get back up

well the TS said ground game is covered so . . .

I just figure best to be more well rounded.

I did kickboxing and found that I lack boxing knowledge so pick your poision , it depends on how tall you are. If you have wrestling then defending takedowns is easy, what do you need the kicks for?
You can learn the few kicks of kickboxing on your own, it's not rocket science. If you're short then you can only hit low targets, half the kicks are for high targets so you've just wasted half of your years training kicks that you can't use.

I was saving this for another post (the one i got yellow for) about a roundhouse but here it is, this is a "perfect roundhouse" executed by real pros, the highest you can kick effectively is below shoulder level.

kick.png

Last edited:
well the TS said ground game is covered so . . .

I just figure best to be more well rounded.
i wasnt talking about ground game if u get taken down even once thats biggg on the score cards if u dont take me down then you gonna lose that round unless u submit me cause takedowns score the most of anything which tbh i think is fair since takedowns take so much energy.

point is guys are smart and realize guys cant really use the thai clinch unless the guy is already hurt against the fence with hand sup then guys will rip a few knees but other than that its hard to make a lot of the thai stuff work with knees

I did kickboxing and found that I lack boxing knowledge so pick your poision , it depends on how tall you are. If you have wrestling then defending takedowns is easy, what do you need the kicks for?
You can learn the few kicks of kickboxing on your own, it's not rocket science. If you're short then you can only hit low targets, half the kicks are for high targets so you've just wasted half of your years training kicks that you can't use.

I was saving this for another post (the one i got yellow for) about a roundhouse but here it is, this is a "perfect roundhouse" executed by real pros, the highest you can kick effectively is below shoulder level.

View attachment 443547

yeah people act like if u do boxing for your mma that u somehow will never know what a kick is lol. kicking is the easiest thing t develop well low kicks at least which is what guys use. were not doing karate kicks that take eyars to master. u an get a decent leg kick in a month so teaching someone boxing which has a solid stance good for changing levels to mix in with takedowns good footwork and fast hands to set other things up it is a no brainer especially if you like to grapple as well

@tekkenfan You need the spagat for proper karate kicks, shit it's kind of demeaning to do it as an adult. that's what it takes but karate kicks are not really needed in mma.

Last edited:
Obviously you need both for mma. After you get to a good skill level at both, if were talking about which one to master. I would say be good at kickboxing and a master at boxing. Mma striking tends to be more hand dominant

I live by the hikes law.

Less choices = better reactions.

So by that ruling boxing is my choice.

I will also say that in mma each fight should come in with a specific gameplan for that fight.

I live by the hikes law.

Less choices = better reactions.

So by that ruling boxing is my choice.

I will also say that in mma each fight should come in with a specific gameplan for that fight.

Somebody understands it. People think just because you have more options it automatically translates to a better outcome. Having a few solid go to techniques that you drill like a mad man will make you a mad man in that range. Also you're reaction time will be sick.

I think boxers have some of the quickest reactions in any sport. In order to dodge fists on a regular you have to develop your ability to react. I'll watch high level boxers and be like...how in the heck did he dodge that, and you see it in slow motion it's insane. So, I agree, depends on the person but quality over quantity.

Knowing solid boxing I believe makes it easier to pick up other things. Boxers cover so many things on a high level that translate well to any type of fighting. Kickboxing has value too of course. Kicks are sick, and pack a ton of power. I'm actually in Shotokan now primarily for the kicks to add to what I've developed in the boxing gym.

Look how many MMA fighters are training western boxing now? An interview I saw with Helio Gracie they asked him if he did not do bjj what would he do for self defense. He said boxing. Boxing has value, don't underestimate it.

If it were a friend of mine asking I would tell them boxing from what I know about it.

Boxing, because so few MMA fighters know how to throw punches with good technique and how to use effective feints. The jab is an excellent weapon, provided that you spend a lot of time with it.

giphy.gif

dat shit is not kickboxing or boxing it's more like karate boxing

Back