Boxing vs Kickboxing for MMA

Overall I think good boxing is more important for an MMA fighter to possess than good Kickboxing, but if you have limited/no experience in MMA, and train only boxing in your striking preparation for an MMA bout then you are setting yourself up for failure.

Boxing isn't always more bladed. The mexican style is often very square like a wrestler because it's geared towards getting in close for body shots and inside work

Then the boxing stance still no advantage over KB in TD dept. At most, both are square, at least one is more bladed, but leaves big hole.

Then the boxing stance still no advantage over KB in TD dept. At most, both are square, at least one is more bladed, but leaves big hole.

There's more to it than just bladedness. Bladed angle is very easy to adjust. It's not difficult to switch from more bladed to less, at all. Wide or narrow, the functions stay the same, but there is a reason many choose to stand more bladed. You don't need to "teach" a boxer how to stand less bladed.

That angle may be the most easy, visible thing about it but that's not the most important difference by a longshot. The differences are there but to those who don't know the uses/functionality of it in the first place, the traits remain invisible. It's like a kid who's only hobby is pokemon trying to understand the subtleties of a diesel engine by a casual glance.

That's why boxing is so incredibly effective. It's abilities are hidden until you have a working grasp of them yourself. You can be hurt most by what you see and understand least. Boxing, by intentional design, is the most subtle and efficient striking art.

Last edited:
There's more to it than just bladedness. Bladed angle is very easy to adjust. It's not difficult to switch from more bladed to less, at all. Wide or narrow, the functions stay the same, but there is a reason many choose to stand more bladed. You don't need to "teach" a boxer how to stand less bladed.

That angle may be the most easy, visible thing about it but that's not the most important difference by a longshot. The differences are there but to those who don't know the uses/functionality of it in the first place, the traits remain invisible. It's like a kid who's only hobby is pokemon trying to understand the subtleties of a diesel engine by a casual glance.

That's why boxing is so incredibly effective. It's abilities are hidden until you have a working grasp of them yourself. You can be hurt most by what you see and understand least. Boxing, by intentional design, is the most subtle and efficient striking art.

The uses, functionality, subtleties, hidden traits etc, etc are largely what they are in boxing match are largely due to the rulesets. If you change those rulesets, those traits will have less or more effect depending on the new rules.

I have not watched the fight, but I am willing to bet all that boxing training McG did for PBF may have had some effect. I really want to see if McG fought last night same way he used to before his bout with PBF.

The uses, functionality, subtleties, hidden traits etc, etc are largely what they are in boxing match are largely due to the rulesets. If you change those rulesets, those traits will have less or more effect depending on the new rules.

That's quite the assumption and I don't agree. There are mechanical leverage and efficiency reasons to this which not only work but greatly apply in any striking ruleset but you wouldn't do these things if you weren't taught to because they are not intuitive.

Blues music was made according to a ruleset, but go outside the ruleset (into another genre like rock with a totally different ruleset) and it works as well or better. Blues music is not intuitive to most and would not just form on it's own in other areas, regardless of rulesets or lack of.

I have not watched the fight, but I am willing to bet all that boxing training McG did for PBF may have had some effect. I really want to see if McG fought last night same way he used to before his bout with PBF.

Connor is not the best example right now because of his lifestyle and especially rusty 1x fight every 18 months and cocaine binges in between lifestyle. He's especially vulnerable in the grappling dept. as we witnessed against Mendes. Khabib is better than Mendes and Connor is older and has softened visibly in his terrible new way of living.

His motivation is also missing. The Floyd match might have cost him psychologically because it was so one-sided he knows that rematches wouldn't even matter, whereas before that he really felt anything was possible for him (before that). In his own mind, he has already peaked and can only enjoy his way on the slide back down, so he lives, trains, and functions in accordance to that psychological model.

Last edited:
Back