Boxing vs muay thai stance

never enough

Colour my life with the Chaos of trouble
@Orange
Reaction score
I train muay thai mainly with a little bit of boxing on the side and have started taking more boxing classes just because of the timetable and work etc

My new boxing coach knows I do Muay Thai so he lets me fight in more of a squared off stance with my guard a little higher.

Is this a bad idea for boxing? I still want to be a better boxer (not competing but sparring maybe a smoker or corporate boxing)
Will the MT stance hinder progress for straight boxing

I train muay thai mainly with a little bit of boxing on the side and have started taking more boxing classes just because of the timetable and work etc

My new boxing coach knows I do Muay Thai so he lets me fight in more of a squared off stance with my guard a little higher.

Is this a bad idea for boxing? I still want to be a better boxer (not competing but sparring maybe a smoker or corporate boxing)
Will the MT stance hinder progress for straight boxing
Obviously a stance for one sport is not usually ideal for another, but if it's a boxing stance with a little Muay Thai flavor, it could work for you. Just listen to your coach if you trust him. Maybe he thinks you'll actually learn faster in a stance you're more comfortable in.

Obviously a stance for one sport is not usually ideal for another, but if it's a boxing stance with a little Muay Thai flavor, it could work for you. Just listen to your coach if you trust him. Maybe he thinks you'll actually learn faster in a stance you're more comfortable in.
He's been pretty complimentary about my style so far. Obviously I'm used to hitting mitts and pads. I'm finding myself enjoying boxing more than I thought

If its hindering your mobility, then yes; Lateral footwork and mobility is much more frequent in boxing compared to MT/KB

I went through the same situation. I trained Muay Thai and started some boxing classes for more powerful punches. My boxing instructor did insist that I change stance to traditional boxing stance while training boxing. His reasoning was that it would help me quickly train movements and combos and I would move to a more MT stance later and apply the same principles.

In the long run, it did work and I was able to apply quite a bit of the boxing knowledge to my MT techniques, but I still tend to switch to the sideways boxing stance and throw jabs when I move around opponents to create angles. In my mind, it makes me a smaller target when moving, but also I have to get back into the MT stance when I am at my target location after the move.

if you are going to compete in boxing, I would probably drop your muay thai all together, and take it back up once your done competing in boxing.

If you want to compete in MT, there are many things in boxing you cannot do in MT.

I fight MT and cross train boxing. I feel cross training boxing is good but there are many that disagree. If you dont know what to watch out for, the dos and donts, it may not be the best idea. generally speaking I dont think its good for beginners to cross train boxing if they are competing in muay thai.

if you are going to compete in boxing, I would probably drop your muay thai all together, and take it back up once your done competing in boxing.

If you want to compete in MT, there are many things in boxing you cannot do in MT.

I fight MT and cross train boxing. I feel cross training boxing is good but there are many that disagree. If you dont know what to watch out for, the dos and donts, it may not be the best idea. generally speaking I dont think its good for beginners to cross train boxing if they are competing in muay thai.
I'm actually too old now to compete in either. I can have up to 5 matches in corporate boxing however

I just like training and sparring and want to be competitive even if I can't actually compete
I'm enjoying boxing far more than I thought I would and can train more often due to timetables so maybe I should make boxing my main focus

I'm actually too old now to compete in either. I can have up to 5 matches in corporate boxing however

I just like training and sparring and want to be competitive even if I can't actually compete
I'm enjoying boxing far more than I thought I would and can train more often due to timetables so maybe I should make boxing my main focus
What is corporate boxing?

What is corporate boxing?
It's kinda like amateur boxing but no age limit. 16oz gloves 3 2 minute rounds.
Usually fundraiser events. You can only fight a maximum of 5 times to stop more experienced people fighting.

no age limit is interesting, what's the oldest person you've seen in it?
There is some talk about banning it. A 48year old died in the ring and I think a 52yo died as well in the last couple of years.
The problem is some gyms give you a 8-12 week boxing course and then let you fight with no real experience.

It's probably unfair for me to fight in these fights because I've had considerably more training despite never having a sanctioned fight.

It's kinda like amateur boxing but no age limit. 16oz gloves 3 2 minute rounds.
Usually fundraiser events. You can only fight a maximum of 5 times to stop more experienced people fighting.

Is it sanctioned by USA boxing or are they exhibition fights?

Here is my take:

Be mindful of your right hand if you're fighting squared. You may be throwing it wide. Stand in front of the double end bag and naturally throw a right hand or a 1-2, do you connect or does it (right hand) go off track (even slightly) and you miss? This is what it will potentially be like when throwing at someone's head from a squared stance, considering you're also pivoting appropriately, it goes wide.

Square stance is more for brawling and in fighting than for boxing. Strong base, produce more power, can clinch. If you want to be a pressure fighter square your stance.

If you're longer, taller and want to use your reach then angle your stance. Makes you less of a target, provides greater mobility and speed with linear movement, which is what you want with boxing and out fighting.

I do Shotokan but I will pause my training when Regionals 2019 come up. I'll focus purely on boxing for perhaps three months? Why? Because it's boxing not Shotokan. You're not bringing anything to the table in the realm of boxing that hasn't been done, and countered before.

Good luck

Is it sanctioned by USA boxing or are they exhibition fights?
I'm in nz. Different than exhibition fights. They were intended as a social boxing match type thing. But the match making seems totally random because no one has an official record.

Alot of gyms have stopped having these events now. There was a ko in 8seconds in a recent fight.
It looked like an awful match up between an office worker and a street fighter.

Here is my take:

Be mindful of your right hand if you're fighting squared. You may be throwing it wide. Stand in front of the double end bag and naturally throw a right hand or a 1-2, do you connect or does it go wide (even slightly) and you miss? This is what it will potentially be like when throwing at someone's head from a squared stance, considering you're also pivoting appropriately, it goes wide.

Square stance is more for brawling and in fighting than for boxing. Strong base, produce more power, can clinch. If you want to be a pressure fighter square your stance.

If you're longer, taller and want to use your reach then angle your stance. Makes you less of a target, provides greater mobility and speed with linear movement, which is what you want with boxing and out fighting.

I do Shotokan but I will pause my training when Regionals 2019 come up. I'll focus purely on boxing for perhaps three months? Why? Because it's boxing not Shotokan. You're not bringing anything to the table in the realm of boxing that hasn't been done, and countered before.

Good luck
I used to train in a 'freestyle martial art'which was based around tkd and used a bladed stance and kept getting corrected by muay thai trainers so I relearned my stance to be more square which didn't feel natural.
I think I'll focus on boxing for now and learn it properly i guess. Rather than confuse 2 styles.
I enjoy sparring in both so i guess that will be the real test

I'm in nz. Different than exhibition fights. They were intended as a social boxing match type thing. But the match making seems totally random because no one has an official record.

Alot of gyms have stopped having these events now. There was a ko in 8seconds in a recent fight.
It looked like an awful match up between an office worker and a street fighter.

Oh ok, so they're "smokers" as we call them in the US. They don't go on your record. Still a fight, but no judges at the end. Sometimes those are more intense, because they declare a winner based on who the crowd cheers the hardest for. lol

That is also pretty risky to have no way to measure a guy. Wow. Well good luck to you.

I posted my thoughts on the squared off stance. I'm clearly not your coach but I would have you look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself, where can this guy hit me right now? Plus, form usually does not get better with pressure. I would train as near perfect as possible until you see what works for you. Then you can mold the style to you. That is my two cents.

I used to train in a 'freestyle martial art'which was based around tkd and used a bladed stance and kept getting corrected by muay thai trainers so I relearned my stance to be more square which didn't feel natural.
I think I'll focus on boxing for now and learn it properly i guess. Rather than confuse 2 styles.
I enjoy sparring in both so i guess that will be the real test

Awesome, hope it goes well!!

If the only way you can defend yourself is punching then I would train everything to make that punching as optimal as possible. When I pause Shotokan to prep for Regionals I will get a 3 month membership to a gym to cardio condition my bum off instead of practicing kicks, and katas lol because I can't take those into boxing.

If I don't do this, and I lose to a guy who dedicated himself purely to boxing, I will wish I had.

In the world of MMA I think we lose that sometimes. There is value in cross training. However, when it comes to competing in a specific style, there will be guys who eat, breathe, sleep, and crap that style.

At least for myself, I'd be doing myself a painful disservice to not train as seriously as they are in regards to time devotion. 24 hours roughly in a day? If I'm 3 at boxing, and 2 at Shotokan but he's 5 at boxing, well, if I lose then I can probably guess why.

Oh ok, so they're "smokers" as we call them in the US. They don't go on your record. Still a fight, but no judges at the end. Sometimes those are more intense, because they declare a winner based on who the crowd cheers the hardest for. lol

That is also pretty risky to have no way to measure a guy. Wow. Well good luck to you.

I posted my thoughts on the squared off stance. I'm clearly not your coach but I would have you look at yourself in the mirror, and ask yourself, where can this guy hit me right now? Plus, form usually does not get better with pressure. I would train as near perfect as possible until you see what works for you. Then you can mold the style to you. That is my two cents.
Sligtly different than a smoker. They have judges refs etc. and still have to gey cleard medicaly And you are only allowed 5 fights

Sligtly different than a smoker. They have judges refs etc. and still have to gey cleard medicaly And you are only allowed 5 fights

Ok so do those 5 fights only count for "corporate boxing" record? Or will the sanctioning body in NZ recognize them in the amateurs?

Example: You get 5 fights corporate boxing, and start in the ammys. Will your record in the ammys reflect those 5 bouts or you can't take them with you?

Ok so do those 5 fights only count for "corporate boxing" record? Or will the sanctioning body in NZ recognize them in the amateurs?

Example: You get 5 fights corporate boxing, and start in the ammys. Will your record in the ammys reflect those 5 bouts or you can't take them with you?
Good question. I'm not sure tbh I don't think you carry your record with you. From the limited info on the website it says after 5 fights you have to either fight as amatuer or turn pro. But I'm too old to fight amatuer. I'm 42 and the cut off point is 38 in think

Back