Boxing - what do you do when...

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
There are a a lot of situations where I really have no clue what to do. As I have described in previous threads I am trying to learn to pressure fight, be aggressive, take the center of the ring, chase and hunt.

I am going to try to describe them and hopefully I will get an answer

1. I am pressuring, I get my opponents pinned to the ropes or the corner and it becomes easy to attack (great scenario). But then i throw my combination (for example 1-2) and I am kind of stuck or backing off or I get countered. Or I do remember to add a 2-1-2 or 1-2-1-2... and then we kind of bumb or I get a hard counter... anyway how do I still keep the pressure after I have worked hard to get my opponent on the corner?

2. I am trying to get the middle of the ring, but I am getting a fight. Our bodies bump. I am usually slipped, ducking to outside (I ate a few nasty rib shots that way). What do you do when the opponent does not really give ground and we end up bumping into each other?

3. The opponent is furious I have pinned them on the back. I back of a bit to the center and they try to take the middle. I do not want really to give it... but they are madly rushing into me. What do I do?

4. Lastly recommend a video or a guide on in fighting. I am kind of doing better than my friends on in fighting. But I feel I can do way better. I have a nasty left hook from inside and a few combinations drilled (left uppercut-right uppercut-left hook and right uppercut-left uppercut - right hook) to a good degree and I opt for them often, but I really feel I can do way better, keep the pressure, duck, slip, add some nasty uppercuts and etc. I really want to make my spar partners feel that pressure and start feeling they can get knocked down if they stick around close to me. Not that I am going to knock them down.

The story behind these questions. I have a friend that is almost 2 meters and weights 95 kg. He kind of challenges me the last 2 spar sessions and we had some rough spars on like 80-100%. I am kind of amazed I can bully him considering he is 25 cm taller and 15 kg heavier than me. I am basically walking under him and landing body jabs, over hand rights and left hooks, but he seems not afraid of me and keeps his ground and has landed few nasty right hooks to my ribs. Its been great fights with him. I respect him for standing his ground, it is just amazing how little strategy and knowledge can get you in a fair fight with a person much taller and stronger than you.

So to the first one, don't just stick on him the whole time he's in the corner, back off a bit like keep him in punching range, and just try throwing technical jabs around him and try adding right hand and hooks while he's in the corner, attack the body and be aggressive with it. I am not sure if this is allowed but try grabbing his head and hitting him from their, but make sure to grab him by the neck not the head so that he has nowhere to go.

The 3rd omw, you use your footwork, and move around him while attacking simultaneously. If you do it right you can rock him a bit. Use reflexes too, and just try to do 1-1-1 then a 2, and if he attacks use a roll under and hit a hard body shot then come up top with a hook. Another attack would be 1-1-2, duck and throw an overhand to the head (but make it look like your going for the body) theirs plenty more combinations but those are the ones that come to mind.

That's about all the scenarios i can give you advice on, some other people are going to have to have to give you some more if I can think of anymore then I will come back here. One other thing, pressure doesn't always mean volume, pressure means to overwhelm but you don't need to throw volume strikes, so if your trying to pressure someone at the start of a fight or spar throw an explosive jab, follow by 1-1-2, and if they try to throw a right hand slip and hit with whatever you want, but you have to keep overwhelming them with combinations but do them like a rhythm manipulation, just do a 1 sec pause then throw another combination and use the explosive jab.

Get low and stay in his chest. When you stand too tall after throwing combos is when you will get countered since they are forced to exchange with their backs against the ropes.

I am learning this the hard way again and again...

[QUOTE="Ilk, post: 143269311, member: 516687" There are a a lot of situations where I really have no clue what to do. As I have described in previous threads I am trying to learn to pressure fight, be aggressive, take the center of the ring, chase and hunt.

I am going to try to describe them and hopefully I will get an answer

1. I am pressuring, I get my opponents pinned to the ropes or the corner and it becomes easy to attack (great scenario). But then i throw my combination (for example 1-2) and I am kind of stuck or backing off or I get countered. Or I do remember to add a 2-1-2 or 1-2-1-2... and then we kind of bumb or I get a hard counter... anyway how do I still keep the pressure after I have worked hard to get my opponent on the corner?

You need to 'pick your shots' instead of throwing wildly. If they're good enough to counter, you need to be more calculating. Also don't be so predictable as to always be throwing 1-2's and always starting each exchange with the jab. You can start sometimes with a hook instead or whatever they are most at the disadvantage of at the time.

2. I am trying to get the middle of the ring, but I am getting a fight. Our bodies bump. I am usually slipped, ducking to outside (I ate a few nasty rib shots that way). What do you do when the opponent does not really give ground and we end up bumping into each other?

Always be using your feet to adjust distance and angles. Think and measure with your feet, ahead of time

3. The opponent is furious I have pinned them on the back. I back of a bit to the center and they try to take the middle. I do not want really to give it... but they are madly rushing into me. What do I do?

Do whatever punishes them for rushing.
Why do you back off so they can recover? You should practice keeping them there (you don't have to hit super hard if they're your sparring buddies, just enough to keep them "honest"). They'll only get better if you don't hand them these things for free. Of course they are going to take it if you give it to them

4. Lastly recommend a video or a guide on in fighting. I am kind of doing better than my friends on in fighting. But I feel I can do way better. I have a nasty left hook from inside and a few combinations drilled (left uppercut-right uppercut-left hook and right uppercut-left uppercut - right hook) to a good degree and I opt for them often, but I really feel I can do way better, keep the pressure, duck, slip, add some nasty uppercuts and etc. I really want to make my spar partners feel that pressure and start feeling they can get knocked down if they stick around close to me. Not that I am going to knock them down.

Infighting is a dying art in modern times and resources online (or anywhere) are basically non-existent. You'll have to get lessons from an actual trainer who specializes in that (a lot of them don't, just like modern boxers often don't)

If you want them to feel the danger then you can do counters and they will feel it even if you keep the intensity reduced. Counters feel like running into a wall-- even a soft, small wall feels nasty

Counters aren't easy to just do. You'll have to study and perfect them over a long while before you need them

Back