Braveheart ruined Robert the Bruce for me

lol you can't take Mel Gibson's interpretation of history seriously. He's a notorious anti-British racist being a proud Catholic from Irish roots so he was brought up to despise Anglos. Just watch how Brits are portrayed in The Patriot. There's one scene where a British captain orders everyone in an American town to gather inside a church and then locks the doors and burns it with them inside. He just might hate the British even more than Jews.

That said, I love his movies.

The Patriot wasnt directed by Gibson.

What's the deal with Robert the Bruce?
Is his name Robert or Bruce?

In the next Braveheart remake, I want to see a character named Billy the Bob or William the Benjamin or Thomas the George or James the Luke

Or the sherdog version will be about a chick named John the Jenny.

Mel gibson wasnt a good portrayal. In real life william wallace was seven feet tall and could consume the english army with firrballs from his eyes and thunderbolts from his arse.

I watched it tonight. It was actually pretty good. I randomly watched braveheart on TV last week, so it was interesting seeing there take on it.

Also James Cosmo is in both films, as a badass old man warrior(and game of thrones and 100s of other tv and films)

MV5BNTUxNDM4OWQtNWNiZC00ODI2LWEwYzctMTEyZmIzNDBmOWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyNTE4MDg@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNjZjNzdhODgtZGFiMC00NzRlLWI5ZGQtOTY3ZWI5NWQxZTcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTE1MTQ5MTU@._V1_.jpg

I watched it tonight. It was actually pretty good. I randomly watched braveheart on TV last week, so it was interesting seeing there take on it.

Also James Cosmo is in both films, as a badass old man warrior(and game of thrones and 100s of other tv and films)

MV5BNTUxNDM4OWQtNWNiZC00ODI2LWEwYzctMTEyZmIzNDBmOWM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyNTE4MDg@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNjZjNzdhODgtZGFiMC00NzRlLWI5ZGQtOTY3ZWI5NWQxZTcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTE1MTQ5MTU@._V1_.jpg

Cosmo is great. He singlehandedly sells the early Scottish flashbacks in Highlander.

Appropriately titled 'Gift of a Thistle'.

Amazing score

Yesssss! Spine tingler of a song. I really like how they tied the thistle into the new movie. But I just realized there’s no kilts in outlaw king that I remember. Excellent movie though.

I saw this film thirteen times in the cinema; it's fair to say I loved it. I got off work every afternoon, there was a theater near my house, and afternoon showings were two bucks, with free refills on coffee.

The history is very bad but it's a magical film, rich, passionate and layered. The scenes I treasured the most on repeated viewings were the scenes of The Bruce. One of the most intense moments of the film was after he betrays Wallace and rages at his father.

Yessss! God. This thread is getting me all excited. I think I’m gonna have to go watch brave heart now

Outlaw King is both on Netflix AND in theaters, which is crazy
No wonder the movie is good. I was going to make a thread on this because I'm a fanatic for medieval history but you all got a lot covered... looking at you @KnightTemplar

Also, Braveheart was a great flick, historical inadequacies aside.

It's normal for Scottish people to get into huge fights with their best friend

Last edited:
Mel gibson wasnt a good portrayal. In real life william wallace was seven feet tall and could consume the english army with firrballs from his eyes and thunderbolts from his arse.

Killed men by the hundred, I hear;)

Interestingly, historians who have studied Wallace's sword, which is on display at the Wallace Monument in Stirling - I highly recommend a visit if anyone is taking a holiday in Scotland - have concluded he had to be well over six foot tall in order to use the sword effectively in combat. This would have made him a giant by the standards of Medieval Britain. And there are contemporary accounts of Wallace using the sword, which is a two handed Great Sword, with a single hand. This would have required enormous strength and skill.

e7f95f84c9a70bc5acb285695527caa1.jpg

Fun fact: after the Battle of Stirling Bridge, Wallace had a sword belt made from the flayed corpse of Cressingham, the English nobleman responsible for collecting taxes in Scotland:)

"Bruce and Henry de Bohun, the nephew of the Earl of Hereford, faced off in what became a celebrated instance of single combat. Bohun charged at Bruce and when the two passed side by side, Bruce split Bohun's head with ge by the standards ofhis axe."

Taking out a charging fully armoured Knight while on a hobby horse.... 100% badass.

And his Bad-Ass Level goes over 9,000 when you include the fact that Bruce was around 40 years old at Bannockburn - an old man by the standards of his time. He could easily have ridden back into the Scottish lines, which would have been the safer option. Instead, he killed Bohun with a strike so powerful it cleaved through the knight's helm, skull and half his face. The blow was so powerful it snapped the shaft of the battle axe, which pissed off Bruce, as it was his favourite weapon.

Last edited:
It's normal for Scottish people to get into huge fights with their best friend

Groundskeeper Willie, "Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots. Or Welshmen and Scots. Or Japanese and Scots. Or Scots and other Scots. Damn Scots - they ruined Scotland!"

Skinner, "You Scots certainly are a contentious people".

Willie, "You just made an enemy for life!" <Lmaoo><45>

Killed men by the hundred, I hear;)

Interestingly, historians who have studied Wallace's sword, which is on display at the Wallace Monument in Stirling - I highly recommend a visit if anyone is taking a holiday in Scotland - have concluded he had to be well over six foot tall in order to use the sword effectively in combat. This would have made him a giant by the standards of Medieval Britain. And there are contemporary accounts of Wallace using the sword, which is a two handed Great Sword, with a single hand. This would have required enormous strength and skill.

View attachment 469507

Fun fact: after the Battle of Stirling Bridge, Wallace had a sword belt made from the flayed corpse of Cressingham, the English nobleman responsible for collecting taxes in Scotland:)
Great post. The part about his height makes sense. I am pretty sure the foot measurement used back then was shorter than it is today. So he probably was 7 feet tall in old measurements.

Actually historians agree that IF Wallace could have wielded the sword he would have had to have been at least 6"5, when the average height was about 5"7. But the sword seems to have been welded from at least 3 seperate pieces to make it longer. Either accidentally or to deliberately add to Wallace's renown.

Speaking of James Cosmo. Was this dude ever young?

i rewatched highlander recently and he was and old man then too. It's like he was born a senior citizen. <{MindBrown}>

Last edited:
Actually historians agree that IF Wallace could have wielded the sword he would have had to have been at least 6"5, when the average height was about 5"7. But the sword seems to have been welded from at least 3 seperate pieces to make it longer. Either accidentally or to deliberately add to Wallace's renown.

Fair comment. However, this does not rule out the possibility that Wallace, if he didn't use this specific sword, was certainly strong and skilled enough to use one just like it. Most descriptions of Wallace, even from around his own time, depict him as a man of unusual size and strength. And those contemporary descriptions were often fairly accurate; Edward I was nicknamed, among other things, "Longshanks" due to his long legs, and historians agree he was over six foot, as was Robert de Bruce himself. Both men were well above the average height for their time, even among the nobility, who eat a far more protein rich diet than the lower classes.

It's possible one of the three swords welded together to make the blade was part of Wallace's original sword.

Speaking of James Cosmo. Was this dude every young?

i rewatched highlander recently and he was and old man then too. It's like he was born a senior citizen. <{MindBrown}>

Well he is 71. He's had a long career; his first film was Battle of Britain way back in 1969. I think he was a Boxer before becoming an actor, but don't quote me on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back