Braveheart ruined Robert the Bruce for me

Damn I was intrigued by this but I just realized that they have Chris Pines playing Robert the Bruce.

<mma3>

Damn I was intrigued by this but I just realized that they have Chris Pines playing Robert the Bruce.

<mma3>

He's actually pretty good, his accent is decent.

He's actually pretty good, his accent is decent.
He’s weird looking though and looks like a ‘let.

EDIT hmm claims of 6’. His face looks like that of a 5’8” man. I guess it’s not rich to call him weird looking. More hateable I guess. Plus kind of a poor man’s Chris Pratt.

He’s weird looking though and looks like a ‘let.

EDIT hmm claims of 6’. His face looks like that of a 5’8” man. I guess it’s not rich to call him weird looking. More hateable I guess. Plus kind of a poor man’s Chris Pratt.

I don't really know much else of what he is in, but I know what you mean about his face. He didn't ruin the movie for me anyway. It's not spectacular, but pretty solid if you like historical films.

I don't really know much else of what he is in, but I know what you mean about his face. He didn't ruin the movie for me anyway. It's not spectacular, but pretty solid if you like historical films.
doesnt he kind of look like he was born ugly and some brilliant plastic surgeon performed his magnum opus to give him classical good looks and almost pulled it off?

Or maybe was born good looking and he went through a windshield or something.

Actually historians agree that IF Wallace could have wielded the sword he would have had to have been at least 6"5, when the average height was about 5"7. But the sword seems to have been welded from at least 3 seperate pieces to make it longer. Either accidentally or to deliberately add to Wallace's renown.
Ahhh.

The patron Saint of all TruSherdoggers. 6'5" and yielding teh 375lb sword.

We come from good stock, us sherdoggers do!

I thought it was pretty good, I don't know why it was getting slammed in reviews were people mad there were no black characters?

This movie was arguably the BEST at creating or fictionalizing this type of cultural, ethnic, regional, us versus them type rallying emotion in a movie. Whether you are of that culture, ethnicity, region or not, and whether it is based in fictionalized history or just straight fiction does not matter. Many who watch them come out feeling a connection to the challenges, battles, successes and achievements and sacrifices and that is what sells.

Braveheart
Last of the Mohicans
The Last Samurai
Black Panther

Are amongst the most successful in that vein.

Actually historians agree that IF Wallace could have wielded the sword he would have had to have been at least 6"5, when the average height was about 5"7. But the sword seems to have been welded from at least 3 seperate pieces to make it longer. Either accidentally or to deliberately add to Wallace's renown.
actually heights weren't a great deal different when you go that far back, in between then and now, famine, plagues and whatever, saw average heights fall a few inches, only picking up in the last couple of hundred years.

actually heights weren't a great deal different when you go that far back, in between then and now, famine, plagues and whatever, saw average heights fall a few inches, only picking up in the last couple of hundred years.

An average height of around 5"7 isn't that far from an average of around 5"9 which is what it is now. Medieval people would have been taller than post-industrial people anyway.

Speaking of James Cosmo. Was this dude every young?

i rewatched highlander recently and he was and old man then too. It's like he was born a senior citizen. <{MindBrown}>

Some people age prematurely then it slows down until death. @LEGS MAHONEY

d6fd198efaa8a0f8017fff8a9f0df48b.jpg

An average height of around 5"7 isn't that far from an average of around 5"9 which is what it is now. Medieval people would have been taller than post-industrial people anyway.
Is 5’9” the real average? I feel like it may be in the US but we’ve had a lot of immigration from the short races.

Is 5’9” the real average? I feel like it may be in the US but we’ve had a lot of immigration from the short races.

That's the rough figure I got when I looked it up, I am sure it varies a lot depending on the country.

That's the rough figure I got when I looked it up, I am sure it varies a lot depending on the country.
I read something that makes sense that everyone tends to underestimate their own height because your eyes are a few inches lower that your head.

For all I know I’m going through life thinking 5’10” people are 6’

Killed men by the hundred, I hear;)

Interestingly, historians who have studied Wallace's sword, which is on display at the Wallace Monument in Stirling - I highly recommend a visit if anyone is taking a holiday in Scotland - have concluded he had to be well over six foot tall in order to use the sword effectively in combat. This would have made him a giant by the standards of Medieval Britain. And there are contemporary accounts of Wallace using the sword, which is a two handed Great Sword, with a single hand. This would have required enormous strength and skill.

View attachment 469507

Fun fact: after the Battle of Stirling Bridge, Wallace had a sword belt made from the flayed corpse of Cressingham, the English nobleman responsible for collecting taxes in Scotland:)
Have to put this on my list for next time. I just spent a week in Scotland, and loved it. My Grandmothers family supposedly fought with Wallace. Low Clan, but they weren't a huge clan I guess. The other side of the family were ship builders and mostly stayed out of the war, due to business interests with both side, but who knows how much of that is truth, and how much is just family lore, thats changed through the years.

Speaking of James Cosmo. Was this dude every young?

i rewatched highlander recently and he was and old man then too. It's like he was born a senior citizen. <{MindBrown}>
Yeah I was shocked to see he was only in his early 70s. I thought he was that age, 20 years ago in Braveheart.

Little off topic but I found an archive of thousands of movies. To each like shall receive my insight.

Last edited:
Have to put this on my list for next time. I just spent a week in Scotland, and loved it. My Grandmothers family supposedly fought with Wallace. Low Clan, but they weren't a huge clan I guess. The other side of the family were ship builders and mostly stayed out of the war, due to business interests with both side, but who knows how much of that is truth, and how much is just family lore, thats changed through the years.
Shit was like 30-40 generations ago. I would assume any great ties to someone back then would need a lot of inbreeding.

Groundskeeper Willie, "Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots. Or Welshmen and Scots. Or Japanese and Scots. Or Scots and other Scots. Damn Scots - they ruined Scotland!"

Skinner, "You Scots certainly are a contentious people".

Willie, "You just made an enemy for life!" <Lmaoo><45>

Last edited:
Back