Brazil In Turmoil: Jailed for corruption, ex-President Lula registered for presidency bid again

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
Thread Index:
---

Massive Brazilians protests against corruption after Lula named Chief of Staff, gains immunity from prosecution

BRASILIA/SAO PAULO (Reuters) - Protests erupted in several Brazilian cities on Wednesday after President Dilma Rousseff named her predecessor Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva chief of staff and a taped conversation fed opposition claims the move was meant to shield Lula from prosecution.

In the capital Brasilia, riot police fired pepper spray at more than 5,000 demonstrators who filled the streets outside the presidential palace and Congress building. They waved banners calling for the leftist leader's resignation and Lula's arrest.

Thousands more demonstrators packed the main Avenue Paulista in Sao Paulo, Brazil's financial hub, which was the center of national protests on Sunday that drew more than 1 million people onto the streets in a call for Rousseff's departure.

With Brazil's economy mired in its worst recession in a generation, popular anger at Rousseff is mounting as an investigation into bribes and political kickbacks at state oil company Petrobras taints her inner circle.

"I am here for the future of my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren," said Vera Carneiro, 75, draped in a yellow-and-green Brazilian flag outside the presidency. "Dilma has to go. She and Lula both. Enough is enough."

Rousseff's appointment of Lula, who was charged last week with money laundering and fraud as part of the probe, was slammed by opposition parties as a desperate attempt to rally support in Congress against impeachment proceedings due to start on Thursday.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0WI1T0

Last edited:
Wow, appointing someone under investigation sounds like a desperate move.

Because it is. Lula and Rouseff are absolutely shitting their pants right now.

Phew. Brazil was on a promising path despite all the corruption for a few years, but this move is just brazen and calls for resistance.

time for a 5 second frencher!
guillotine-execution.jpg

Phew. Brazil was on a promising path despite all the corruption for a few years, but this move is just brazen and calls for resistance.

It is on a promising path, this is the blister popping and releasing all that pus, Brazil will undoubtely leave this recession with pretty strong political institutions.

Meanwhile here in Mexico corruption blister is filling up as long as there is money to bribe thanks to the exports market and the US remittances, shit is not going to be fixed.

@Rod1, why is your Avatar showing a Nazi general?

He was a german general during WW2 he wasnt a nazi party member, he certainly had sympathies like most germans did, but he was latter forced to commit suicide over a plot to overthrow the nazis.

The plot thickens...

Brazil's Lula sworn-in amid protests, judge tries to block appointment

Leftist leader Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was sworn in as President Dilma Rousseff's chief of staff on Thursday amid a deepening political crisis as protests against his appointment continued for a second day and a judge sought to block the move.

Soon after the swearing-in ceremony, the federal judge in Brasilia issued an injunction to suspend the appointment on the grounds it prevented "the free exercise of justice."

Prosecutors have charged Lula with money laundering and fraud as part of a sweeping graft probe centered on state oil company Petrobras. The former president's appointment as a minister would provide him immunity from prosecution by all but the Supreme Court.

The government can appeal the injunction in a higher court but the judge's move could raise tensions that are already running high between the executive and the judiciary.

During the swearing-in ceremony, Rousseff strongly criticized the release on Wednesday of a taped telephone conversation between her and Lula that was made public by another federal judge, calling it illegal and anti-democratic.

The only thing worse would be electing someone President that is currently under investigation.

That was kind of the point of his post.

Really? Because he's a liberal and I swear I've seen him defend Hillary from criticism around here. Maybe I'm confusing him with JVS.

Really? Because he's a liberal and I swear I've seen him defend Hillary from criticism around here. Maybe I'm confusing him with JVS.
I'm not an anti-hillary person but that's what i took his meaning to be, it was actually a pretty damn good jab lol.

Thanks for sharing @Arkain2K gonna be interesting to see how this plays out on the world scene during the Olympics.

Is that the thread where several posters keep making false claims about timelines (things like Emails being classified information, when in fact they were classified after the investigation started, ect) and events to support the idea that, if an indictment didn't happen in the near future, it was a clear case of corruption?

Because that thread was hilarious. If it's one of the OTHER threads where the same thing occurred and I've gotten them mixed up, apologies.

Back