Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu after a hip replacement

I had a knee reconstruction (ACL) early this year, and it has been hard road getting my legs, and body back into shape. Should be back on the mats within a couple of weeks, will start with warm ups and technique only, while others roll ill exercise. Eventually (hopefully soon) some light rolling, and some time after that train as the rest of the team does.

A hip replacement is no doubt a lot more serious, I don't even want to imagine the post surgery pain that you'll be feeling.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:
if you want to train, i suggest you buy a grappling dummy. that way, you could practice well without getting the risk of new injuries and it keeps you in your game while you're recovering.

:cool::cool::cool:

Sorry for the questions. I was going to PM you but then I thought others could benefit from your experience if you would be able to share.

I had my hip resurfaced 2 months ago and all is going well. I tore my hips up doing powerlifting, wrestling, judo and jui jitsu. I hope to make a come back in Jui jitsu.

Were there any moves or positions that caused pain?

How is your strength in a closed guard or triangle with operated leg across shoulders?

Can you think any one thing that helped the most or key?

Were are you struggling the most now if anywere?

How is the hip soreness after rolling? How bad is it?

Long time since I posted (again). Just had my one year hip anniversary and my progress has been better than I could ever expect. Eddie.. here are my answers to your questions.

1) No moves or positions really caused me pain except for being VERY stiff since I was crippled (well, almost) for 3+ years. It has taken me almost a year to get back to where I once was. My simple solution.... stretch (everyday) and YOGA classes!!

2) My strength on operated leg is nearly 100% in closed guard and triangle choke. I still am working on flexibility, but the strength is just about where it used to be. Took me about 9 months to get back, but that is me.

3) One thing that helped the most is.... keep training, stretching, lifting, and have a positive attitude. Since I had advanced osteoarthritis, my body was severely crippled. OA is a horrible degenerative disease and it takes its toll on just more than the joint. It can affect your psyche as well. Honestly, I was at a point in time where I could care less about BJJ and as many of you that are addicted know, it would take a lot to make this happen!!! The crazy thing with me was that the joint that was replaced has not been a factor with me at all.... it was the rest of my body and how out of whack it was (lack of strength and flexibility).

4) Where I am struggling the most is not cardio or strength, but timing. This has been improving over time, but being able to setup techniques and execute is where I am trying to recoup. Also, BJJ has evolved over the past five years with positions that didn't exist (or weren't known to the general BJJ community), e.g. 50/50, tornado guard, reverse de la riva, x guard, etc.

5) Zero soreness now after rolling, but I still have to respect my body though! I usually roll three or four times each training session.

Any other questions, please ask. I do know of a few other BJJ players that have had this surgery.

Well, add me to the list. 34 year old purple, about 5'8", 185 lbs and needs a hip replacement sometime in the future. Depending on how active I am(combat sports do not help torn labrums in the hip), the doctor said it could be anywhere from 2 to 5 to 20 years. I have not rolled in 5 months, but have been getting quite antsy. All I have been doing is yoga and walking a lot. Some yoga stretches are not good for the hip. Despite this, my hip has recently started to feel sharp pains...which is definitely not good. In an ironic twist, I am from Chicago as well (that is #3 on this thread). I have p-mailed the other guys on this thread, and will keep the community updated as to what happens with me and my bjj future over the next few years.

I always feel incredibly bad for these guys who have major surgeries. It has to be really tough to overcome these type of setbacks, but I guess it can be seen as a learning experience if you adopt an ultra positive attitude.

Here is an update for potential grapplers with hip problems. I am currently about 5 months post operation from an arthroscopic hip surgery. The goal was to buy me some time, as I most probably will need a hip resurfacing or a total hip replacement in the future (it could be in 2....5......or 20 years).

How quickly I wear out my restructured hip depends on a few variables, such as how successful the surgery was (it is going well, but I will not really know for a few more months) and how much pressure/stress I decide to put on my hip through running/jumping (not recommended nor do I plan to partake) or BJJ (not recommended, but I want to return) in my future. The surgery consisted of shaving down my bone in two locations, removing 20% of my cartilage, and stitched/repaired my cartilage in 2 locations.

I have now been cleared to swim, ride an exercise bike, and use the elliptical. I am up in the air about returning to BJJ, as I have learned in this long rehab (longer than a total hip replacement or hip resurfacing) how bad it sucks to essential be limited/handicapped for such a long period of time. In regards to future quality of life, I do not know if Jiu Jitsu is worth it if I struggle walking in the future (I have already had 3 knee scopes, but the hip is a different monster). Based upon all of my research, the sooner you identify a hip problem, the easier the surgery will be, and the sooner you can return to a regular lifestyle. If you attempt to "tough it out" as I did, you might be setting yourself up for a total hip replacement in the future. The pain can be very limited, which is deceiving as to the true potential of the injury. Hip surgery is much more complicated/difficult for both the doctor and the patient.

I am a 35 year old former wrestling coach and purple belt. I will probably post again in about 6 months with an update.

We had a guy in the gym get his hip replaced with a new method. They actually pop the end of the femur out of the socket without tearing/cutting the muscles. They cut the end of the bone off and install a metal ball and a lining in the socket that is as close to frictionless as possible.

The guy is doing really really well. he basically could roll a few weeks afterwards, just wasn't strong enough in that side to shoot for takedowns. within a few months I think he's working takedowns now and his jiu jitsu game seems unaffected on the ground.

Actually very impressive! He's in his mid 40s I believe

We had a guy in the gym get his hip replaced with a new method. They actually pop the end of the femur out of the socket without tearing/cutting the muscles. They cut the end of the bone off and install a metal ball and a lining in the socket that is as close to frictionless as possible.

The guy is doing really really well. he basically could roll a few weeks afterwards, just wasn't strong enough in that side to shoot for takedowns. within a few months I think he's working takedowns now and his jiu jitsu game seems unaffected on the ground.

Actually very impressive! He's in his mid 40s I believe

That is in incredible! I guess that is the main purpose of my surgery in regards to "buying time." Technology and the surgery techniques just keep getting better and better. I have seen a video on what I believe this new artificial hip joint is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smMFFD2W-dM

If there is anyway you could get him to contribute and write something on this thread, it would be a big help for future practitioners. I still think he is kind of crazy to be doing takedowns so soon after surgery. I defiantly would like to talk to him, whether it be on the forum or via email. We really will not know if this surgery truly works for another 5 years. Right now they are in the guinea pig age.

That is in incredible! I guess that is the main purpose of my surgery in regards to "buying time." Technology and the surgery techniques just keep getting better and better. I have seen a video on what I believe this new artificial hip joint is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smMFFD2W-dM

If there is anyway you could get him to contribute and write something on this thread, it would be a big help for future practitioners. I still think he is kind of crazy to be doing takedowns so soon after surgery. I defiantly would like to talk to him, whether it be on the forum or via email. We really will not know if this surgery truly works for another 5 years. Right now they are in the guinea pig age.

Yeah that sounds like the joint he had installed. I think the innovative part about his surgery is that they basically dislocate your hip without cutting all the muscle/ connective tissue and so it's a lot less invasive.

Thats how I remember him describing it to me. I think he said the only downside is now his legs are about 1" different in length.

Hi guys . 43 yr purple belt here. Just got the great news that hip surgery is most probably going to be in my future too. Really appreciate all the contributions made here about everyones experiences. I would love to hear how those who underwent surgery are doing these days. Still training? Hows the hip holding up? Pleased with your decision to keep training?

Thanks in advance...

Hi guys . 43 yr purple belt here. Just got the great news that hip surgery is most probably going to be in my future too. Really appreciate all the contributions made here about everyones experiences. I would love to hear how those who underwent surgery are doing these days. Still training? Hows the hip holding up? Pleased with your decision to keep training?

Thanks in advance...
Dude look this up hip resurfacing!

I had mine done 16 months ago and have been running and training intense Kickboxing footwork and leg technique like spin hook kicks above my head and high speed Butsukari footwork and hip shifting drills in anticipation of going back to Judo on the 19th of this month. I'm able to do forward rolls on my rug and rolls into breakfall position on the rebuilt hip with zero pain.

The problem with THR is the Femoral head prosthetic is smaller than the resurfacing so it's more prone to dislocation. With my hip I can do anything I was able to do previously where with THR I wouldn't have been able to bring my knee across my center line with impactive weight bearing load.

Check this out and see if there's a osteopathic surgeon in your area that performs it. It would be worth traveling if you have to. I can't believe how effortless running is again and any other physical activity I've tried.

https://www.ypo.education/orthopaedics/hip/hip-resurfacing-t112/video/

I had hip arthroscopy with Nogeira's doctor, same surgery to repair a bone impingement and torn labrum, hoping to stave off hip replacement. That was Feb. 2017 and my pain came back at the 2 year post op mark. I'm 2 and a half years out now and getting my first hip injection, Orthovisc and PRP this Friday. I've been involved in martial arts (kickboxing + Krav Maga) since age 20 and I'm 51 now. It's frustrating to not be able to do things that were once easy because of a wear and tear injury like this. I feel for you guys who are getting replacements in your 40's. I'm hoping the injections will buy me a few more years. It's good to hear positive results from the replacements and resurfacing. I've heard some good stories in the gym as well.

Please post your updates and if anyone else has experience with THR or resurfacing and how it has affected your kickboxing and/or ground work, please let us know!

I think Big Nog had a THR a few years back and remarked at how much better his hip mobility was on the mats post op.

Hi, I'm sure that this topic has been asked and answered so sorry for the repost. I will be having a total Hip Replacement for at least one of my hips and quite possibly both. I trained in Jiu Jitsu for a while and would like to return to it but after I have the surgery, it may be just a dream so my question is is there anyone here that has had the THR and is actively training and what modifications have you had to make. I also would like to return to Muay Thai as well. Thanks for your help.
Did you get back into training?

Back