Breaking Bad: Explain the whole ricin thing to me please (spoilers)

Copied from somewhere else

What Jesse put together: Last night, Jesse realized Huell pick-pocketed his weed, and that might as well have turned on a cartoon lightbulb over his head. In season four's penultimate episode, "End Times," the one where Jesse's girlfriend's son Brock gets rushed to the hospital, Jesse also thought Huell had pick-pocketed him, that time lifting the pack of smokes that contained the ricin cigarette and replacing it with a non-ricin pack. This is exactly what happened, but Walt convinced Jesse that he was wrong, that the ricin-pack must have been stolen out of his locker in Gus's lab, and that Gus was therefore behind Brock's poisoning. Walt was very convincing, and if there's anything we know about the Walt-Jesse dynamic, it's that Jesse is virtually powerless against Walt's manipulations. Just ask Gale! Jesse did what Jesse does and substituted Walt's ideas and judgement for his own ideas and judgement, and thus assured himself that Gus must be behind the missing ricin.

After Jesse learns that Brock was not in fact exposed to ricin, he panics. That means Gus didn't steal the poison — that perhaps Jesse just lost it, meaning an innocent person could theoretically be exposed to it. The ever-sensitive Jesse is beside himself, and he calls Walt for help. (Oy, always a mistake.) Walt, who in fact has the real ricin vial, creates a fake ricin cigarette that he then plants and "finds" in Jesse's house. This gives Jesse peace of mind but also continues the gas-lighting process by which Walt teaches Jesse that Jesse's own ideas are bad, wrong, dangerous, stupid, and short-sighted and that Walt's are smart and for the common good. It's part of how Walt has conditioned Jesse, the way lots of abusers condition their victims. At the end of the search for the ricin cigarette, a sobbing Jesse apologizes to Walt. That's how much Walt can control Jesse! So, so much!

Which brings us back to "Confession." Jesse had finally confronted Walt, finally accused him of lying, finally said that Walt killed Mike, finally tried again to stand up for himself. And Walt went in for a hug. (World's most manipulative embrace.) Walt tells Jesse he should disappear, start a new life, let Saul wipe his slate clean and call the vacuum repairman. And as Jesse stands at the side of the road waiting for his escape hatch, he sees that his baggie of weed is missing, and he realizes that Huell took it out of his pocket on orders from Saul. Saul had yelled at him, Huell had patted him down — it made complete sense.

So what we have so far in the episode is (1) Jesse allowing himself to recognize how much Walt has lied to him, and (2) Jesse realizing that Huell is a good pickpocket. That's when, in a moment of clarity, Jesse knows he's been right all along: Huell did lift the ricin-pack back in season four, and the big guy was not working for Gus. Huell did that at Walt's behest. That means Walt was behind Brock's poisoning, and Jesse had been manipulated yet again.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/jesse-breaking-bad-ricin-cigarettes.html

OK got it. I still don't get why Jesse was mad at Walt and wanted to burn down his house when it was a flower that poisoned brock. Whether Walt pick pocketed him or not, ricin wasn't involved. Brock was poisoned by flowers. Unless Jesse knew that Walt had access to those type of flowers ( which i doubt), then why blame Walt for a seemingly random event of a young boy playing with the wrong type of flowers? At any rate the entire sequence is ridiculous and implausible

He made the realization that Huell picked his pocket previously and that's when he connected the dots on the Brock incident.

One of the dumbest things to ever happen on the show.

I just remember thinking that it wasn't plausible that Jesse would have put all of that together. One of the very few times in the series that a character stepped out of line.

Jessie stepped out of line after they decided to not kill him.

He went from being a stoned imbecile to being a tactical genius.

I don't remember him seeing the lily of the valley at all. That makes a lot more sense. Excuse to binge the series imo.

We saw it.

I don't remember Jessie seeing it.

OK got it. I still don't get why Jesse was mad at Walt and wanted to burn down his house when it was a flower that poisoned brock. Whether Walt pick pocketed him or not, ricin wasn't involved. Brock was poisoned by flowers. Unless Jesse knew that Walt had access to those type of flowers ( which i doubt), then why blame Walt for a seemingly random event of a young boy playing with the wrong type of flowers? At any rate the entire sequence is ridiculous and implausible

I don't think jessie ever believed the story that Brock ate the flowers. He was already convinced walt did it, he just didn't know how he got hold of the ricin vial. When he realized Huwell was a master pickpocket, all he thought was "Thats how he did it."

Last edited:
It's all made a little more clear when Walt is on the phone with Jesse on his way to get to the barrels that Jesse is supposedly lighting on fire.

He says something like "Dont you realize I knew exactly how much I had to give him?" when he admits to poisoning Brock.

Considering how it all played out. Why else would Walt have Huel lift the Ricin cig?

The real question is HOW did Walt poison Brock with the Lily of the Valley. Once you realize that it was indeed Walt that ordered the Ricin cig to be lifted, it's a natural conclusion that the entire event was manufactured by Walt, to get Jesse to tell him where he could get to Gus.

There's actually not much to speak of as far as loose ends go.

To me the weakest story telling of the entire show was the collision of the aircraft... that entire sequence of events was implausible, especially the happenstance meeting between Walt and Jane's dad at dive bar discussing children that disappoint you. There's really no reason for that scene to have happened.

Damn all this talk is making me wanna binge from start to finish

And I got way too much shit to do..

Long read from moviestackexchange site:

• Walt wants to kill Gus because he knows Gus wants him dead. He talks Jesse into doing it.
  • Walt gives Jesse the cigarette with the ricin to kill Gus but it doesn't happen as Jesse is becoming loyal to Gus and Mike.
  • Walt is cornered now and decides to turn Jesse against Gus by making Jesse believe that Gus has poisoned Brock. [off camera]
  • He tells Saul to remove the ricin in Jesse's cigarette pack [off camera]
  • Saul's bodyguard Huell removes the ricin by patting Jesse down.
  • At the same time Walt poisons Brock somehow with Lily of the Valley knowing it will make him sick but won't kill him. [off camera]
  • Jesse finds out Brock is very ill and when he sees the ricin missing he's convinced that Walt is responsible. Jesse thinks that Walt used Saul's bodyguard Huell to remove the ricin so that he could use it to poison Brock. Jesse thinks Walt did that to get back at him for helping Gus.
  • Walt convinces Jesse that Gus is responsible: he says that Gus had probably figured out about their ricin plan through all the cameras in the lab, and Tyrus probably took the ricin. Walt says Gus poisoned Brock so that Jesse would blame Walt. He also tells Jesse that Gus has used kids before.
  • Jesse believes Walt and helps him get the information he needs to finish Gus. Walt's plan has worked.
  • Walt kills Gus using Tio. Jesse finds out that Brock wasn't poisoned by ricin and he freaks out because he thinks he has lost the ricin somewhere and he also realizes that Gus didn't poison Brock.
  • Walt convinces Jesse that Gus deserved to die anyway and that he probably lost the ricin somewhere.
  • Walt hides the ricin that Saul had given him back previously.
  • Walt puts a fake vial of ricin into Jesse's Roomba and then helps Jesse searching around the house until they find it.
  • Later in the series Huell pickpockets Jesse again this time to replace some weed Jesse had with a pack of cigarettes.
  • Jesse finds out and at this point he realizes that it was indeed Huell who took the ricin that first time. Although he probably doesn't understands the whole plot that Walt has orchestrated he knows he was manipulated big time and he's very angry.
  • Jesse goes to Saul and tells him at gun point that Walt used Saul to poison Brock. Saul confesses.

So gonna rewatch this show for like the 5th time.

It's so good lol

I don't think jessie ever believed the story that Brock ate the flowers. He was already convinced walt did it, he just didn't know how he got hold of the ricin vial. When he realized Huwell was a master pickpocket, all he thought was "Thats how he did it."

Yeah but the FBI agent told him ricin wasn't involved. Why wouldn't he believe the agent? Unless he thought the agent was in on the scheme

the flower was not what led Jesse to finding out what Walt had done. It was when he was paying Saul to make him "disappear" and realized Huell had pickpocketed him,...again.

Jesse was a terrible character and should've died after season 1 like they originally intended

His whole acrobatic escape from the Aryans was a fucking joke

If the pizza fell on the roof for real like that than anything is possible.

Considering how it all played out. Why else would Walt have Huel lift the Ricin cig?

The real question is HOW did Walt poison Brock with the Lily of the Valley. Once you realize that it was indeed Walt that ordered the Ricin cig to be lifted, it's a natural conclusion that the entire event was manufactured by Walt, to get Jesse to tell him where he could get to Gus.

There's actually not much to speak of as far as loose ends go.

To me the weakest story telling of the entire show was the collision of the aircraft... that entire sequence of events was implausible, especially the happenstance meeting between Walt and Jane's dad at dive bar discussing children that disappoint you. There's really no reason for that scene to have happened.

Yeah I guess its sort of a logical conclusion. Huel seems to be some sort of wizard with magical hands.

I thought the weakest/ laziest story telling was Gus poisoning the entire cartel with liquor. That and how they set up Gus with the bomb.

I also didn't like how when Mike is on the run, he demands Saul fetch his money bag at the airport. Jesse volunteers to do it but Mike declines. All of the sudden Walt volunteers.. and Mike trusts him with that? He never trusted Walt

Yeah I guess its sort of a logical conclusion. Huel seems to be some sort of wizard with magical hands.

I thought the weakest/ laziest story telling was Gus poisoning the entire cartel with liquor. That and how they set up Gus with the bomb.

I also didn't like how when Mike is on the run, he demands Saul fetch his money bag at the airport. Jesse volunteers to do it but Mike declines. All of the sudden Walt volunteers.. and Mike trusts him with that? He never trusted Walt

Agreed, the poison tequila was pretty stupid.

Yeah that scene was when Walt was alone in his backyard. Are you sure Jesse saw those flowers?

Like I said, I could be misremembering, and it seems I am.

Guilty of spreading fake news.

Back