Breaking down the Reebok Deal

Edited: Exact numbers by 5rounder

Total value $70,000,000
Number of months 72
Amount per month (Total) $972,222.2222
Number of fighters 560
Amount per month (per fighter) $1736.111111
Amount per year (per fighter) $20,833.33

Those are the actual numbers if you assume an even distribution to all fighters, which obviously is not the case.

These numbers also are assuming the UFC gives every penny to the fighter. And this also assumes that these 560 fighters will show up on fight night.

What I mean by that is, expect the fighters to get even less money than what your math adds up to. There is no way the UFC is going to give every penny to the fighter without their own kickback.

Everyone should remember first and foremost only one news site said 70 Million over 6 years and from that everyone ran with it.

Based on the math it really doesn't seem plausible that is the correct number.

UFC has proving they aren't morons on the business side of this sport. It would be a massive mistake on there part if they screwed over the fighters. This is one thing that could be a common bond from the top guy to the lowest guy that would make them bond together and stand up against Zuffa. I don't believe for one second Zuffa is that stupid. So I do believe in the end most fighters(compared to the old system) are going to be better off from this deal.

Last edited:
The whole concept of the UFC capping sponsor revenue for each individual fighter is just incredibly dumb.

Where did you conjure that up from? Are you aware how sponsorships and other leagues work?

Just because Nike sponsors the NFL doesn't preclude NFL players from having other deals.

Just because Reebok sponsors the uniforms, doesn't stop the athletes from having other sponsors.....it may stop them from having other sponsors on their clothes in the octagon....but it most certainly doesn't mean they cant have others and there certainly isn't a cap.

Where did you conjure that up from? Are you aware how sponsorships and other leagues work?

Just because Nike sponsors the NFL doesn't preclude NFL players from having other deals.

Just because Reebok sponsors the uniforms, doesn't stop the athletes from having other sponsors.....it may stop them from having other sponsors on their clothes....but it most certainly doesn't mean they cant have others and there certainly isn't a cap.

They are not allowed to wear anything from their personal sponsor when it matters - in the cage.

how can people think this is a bad thing

back when there were fewer shows, sponsors were willing to dish out good money. now that there are so many shows, sponsorship money has gone down.

now everyone is getting paid -- including the guy in the first prelim of the night. no idea how this can be a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure the sponsor tax and the UFC banning sponsors led to less sponsor money.

They are not allowed to wear anything from their personal sponsor when it matters - in the cage.

and other athletes can't have their personal sponsors "when it matters" either - on the court, on the field, on the ice, etc.

any other argument that won't hold water?

This is how sports leagues work. Do you just like to complain to complain? You don't even know the details of the deal.

You really want the fighters to go back to Condom Depot? Is that really your argument?

and other athletes can't have their personal sponsors "when it matters" either - on the court, on the field, on the ice, etc.

This is how sports leagues work. Do you just like to complain to complain? You don't even know the details of the deal.

You really want the fighters to go back to Condom Depot? Is that really your argument?

Yeah, but NFL players don't get $1700 (if they are lucky) per month from sponsors like UFC fighters do.

These numbers also are assuming the UFC gives every penny to the fighter. And this also assumes that these 560 fighters will show up on fight night.

What I mean by that is, expect the fighters to get even less money than what your math adds up to. There is no way the UFC is going to give every penny to the fighter without their own kickback.

If a fighter is injured for a year, do they get any Reebok money? Will the UFC and Reebok promote certain fighters clothing over others?

Dana and Co. aren't going into specifics about the deal because it is obviously dog shit.

ACTUALLY many NBA players CAN and DO wear their sponsors shoes on courts. So, STFU.

ACTUALLY many NBA players CAN and DO wear their sponsors shoes on courts. So, STFU.

Do they have Condom Depot on their ass too?

A shoe is an inconspicuous clothing article in a basketball game. I'm sure they can probably wear whatever socks they want too. But those items aren't the jersey.

The point is more that they don't have multiple random sponsors all over their jerseys like the current state of MMA. I can't believe people are actually arguing in favor of Condom Depot, Jesus Didn't Tap and Dynamic Fastener over Reebok. Its quite hilarious.

A shoe is an inconspicuous clothing article in a basketball game. I'm sure they can probably wear whatever socks they want too. But those items aren't the jersey.

The point is more that they don't have multiple random sponsors all over their jerseys like the current state of MMA. I can't believe people are actually arguing in favor of Condom Depot, Jesus Didn't Tap and Dynamic Fastener over Reebok. Its quite hilarious.

Condom depot isn't approved by the UFC and hasn't been for a while. Reebok or no Reebok, Condom Depot wont be a UFC sponsor.

Basketball shoes have been and still are the biggest selling Basketball item. It is also NOT an inconspicuous clothing article, everybody looks at the shoes the players have.

The NBA doesn't need to have sponsors all over the Jersey's because they make BILLIONS and pay their employers LOTS of MONEY and a rookie sitting on the bench can live off the salary the NBA pay him.

The minimum NBA salary is $507,336. CBA stands for Collective Bargaining Agreement because the NBA players have a say on what happens with their career.

sS7DjLl.png

Condom depot isn't approved by the UFC and hasn't been for a while. Reebok or no Reebok, Condom Depot wont be a UFC sponsor.

Basketball shoes have been and still are the biggest selling Basketball item. It is also NOT an inconspicuous clothing article, everybody looks at the shoes the players have.

The specificity of Condom Depot doesn't matter, the point remains the same. A bunch of low level sponsors plastered all over that look like shit. Reebok is better.

We will have to agree to disagree on the shoes. Fans past the 5th row cant see the detail of a players shoes.....and you really cant see them all that well on TV either. Maybe I just don't stare at peoples feet as much as other people? I tend to watch the ball. I couldn't tell you what a single players shoe looks like.

Fighters will continue to get raped while the UFC makes billions... until a Fighters Union is formed.

I'm pretty sure the sponsor tax and the UFC banning sponsors led to less sponsor money.
The sponsor tax didn't help, but no, I strongly disagree.

A guy fighting in the first fight of the night on a fightpass card can't find a sponsor these days, and that has nothing to do with a sponsor tax.

Basketball players also share the revenue that's generated by the league. I believe the current CBA awards the players ~49% of all Basketball related income.

The UFC probably spends ~5% of its revenue on fighter salaries. In fact, I've heard quite a few times that Fighter salaries and expenses are often covered just from the gate revenue. That means that the 100k+ PPV buys at $65 a pop is pure profit for the UFC.

If a fighter is injured for a year, do they get any Reebok money? Will the UFC and Reebok promote certain fighters clothing over others?

Dana and Co. aren't going into specifics about the deal because it is obviously dog shit.

They are definitely going to heavily promote the champions and marque fight clothes more than the lower tiered fighters.

If a fighter is injured they will not get paid sponsorship money unless their products sell. Dana said the fighters will get 20% on the 'back end', whatever that means.

The sponsor tax didn't help, but no, I strongly disagree.

A guy fighting in the first fight of the night on a fightpass card can't find a sponsor these days, and that has nothing to do with a sponsor tax.

It 100% has something to do with sponsor tax.

If there were no sponsor tax in the UFC, the early prelim guys would have sponsors.

Basketball players also share the revenue that's generated by the league. I believe the current CBA awards the players ~49% of all Basketball related income.

The UFC probably spends ~5% of its revenue on fighter salaries. In fact, I've heard quite a few times that Fighter salaries and expenses are often covered just from the gate revenue. That means that the 100k+ PPV buys at $65 a pop is pure profit for the UFC.

What does this have to do with the Reebok deal?

I bet you that Tom Wright makes more than most of the fighters, but that doesn't have anything to do with the Reebok deal either.

Back