Law Trump replaces Kavanaugh

Jorge Luis Borges

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kavanaugh's successful nomination left a void on the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. Trump moved to fill it today with Neomi Rao, an associate professor at George Mason, who has been one of Trump's key people in his attempts to fight overregulation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics/trump-neomi-rao-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

Seems like a bold pick. I think Trump knows a lot of his agenda is dead with Dem control of the House, and so he'll focus on more solid judicial picks to round out his first term.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure what the basis is for your conclusion that she's a "solid judicial pick.". Article doesn't give much to go on.

Last edited:
I voted for Trump because of judicial picks.

It's maybe the most powerful thing a president does. Especially with a Democrat House.

It's a solid appointment imo, at least relative to his other picks. Rao is as far-right as they come and adoption of her judicial posture would do major harm to the country by setting it back to Lochnerian times of corporate tyranny and hyper inequality, but she's certainly well-qualified.

I'm not sure what the basis is for your conclusion that she's a "solid judicial pick"

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that I see Gorsuch and probably Kavanaugh as solid picks, and those were his two biggies of the first half of his term. From a conservative standpoint, they were solid picks. I have no opinion of how good a judge Reo could be, and she has yet to be confirmed obviously.

lol. I thought this was about the SCOTUS seat, not filling the vacancy left behind.

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that I see Gorsuch and probably Kavanaugh as solid picks, and those were his two biggies of the first half of his term. From a conservative standpoint, they were solid picks. I have no opinion of how good a judge Reo could be, and she has yet to be confirmed obviously.

Of the three, Kavanaugh is still very much the sore thumb due to his jarringly partisan professional history, shamelessly partisan judicial opinions, and rhetoric during his hearings. Gorsuch is a shitty writer, but otherwise was a very solid pick. But my level of expectations coming into Trump's presidency were such that, so long as the nominee had a JD and wasn't a judge from American Idol, I'd be minimally relieved.

Well, because you don't know who she is. (not that the average person would)
https://fedsoc.org/contributors/neomi-rao

She is highly qualified.

Lol, he knew who she is. You did not.

Thread title is misleading. Could use some work.

It's a solid appointment imo, at least relative to his other picks. Rao is as far-right as they come and adoption of her judicial posture would do major harm to the country by setting it back to Lochnerian times of corporate tyranny and hyper inequality, but she's certainly well-qualified.
Yeah, this isn't one of those times I can point to people in my graduating class (or a bunch of coworkers) with superior credentials.

Yeah, this isn't one of those times I can point to people in my graduating class (or a bunch of coworkers) with superior credentials.

It's really crazy when you reflect on how much easier it is to get ahead in law and politics if you just become a right-wing hack. Once you get in to a top school, whether by merit or through a parent's donation like say Jared Kushner or D-Money, all you have to do is join FedSoc and you're automatically propelled past 90% of contemporaries and set on equal footing with the very best candidates who aren't hacks.

It's really crazy when you reflect on how much easier it is to get ahead in law and politics if you just become a right-wing hack. Once you get in to a top school, whether by merit or through a parent's donation like say Jared Kushner or D-Money, all you have to do is join FedSoc and you're automatically propelled past 90% of contemporaries and set on equal footing with the very best candidates who aren't hacks.

Similar in other fields, too, like econ. I suspect a lot of people just pretend to be conservatives to get ahead.

I sometimes regret not paying them their $10 membership fee. It would have lubricated the first few steps of my career like @senri at a Bircher convention.

Lol, he knew who she is. You did not.
Then he shouldn't have had to ask why OP thought she was a good choice. I didn't pretend to know who she was. I researched her before commenting.

by setting it back to Lochnerian times of corporate tyranny and hyper inequality, but she's certainly well-qualified.

Came for the Trotsky tears, leaving with a full glass knowing he made that statement even after Apple and Google became the largest corporations in the worlds history during God Savior Obama's term...TDS ensures I will never get bored of reading these forums.

<NoneOfMy>

Similar in other fields, too, like econ. I suspect a lot of people just pretend to be conservatives to get ahead.

That's a good point. I was thinking of science, and how the false presumption that experts on either side of an issue are necessarily equal can be found in many scientific policy discussions like teaching evolution/creationism, climate change denial, vaccines causing autism, etc. The mere fact that you have a position that can be profitable or otherwise beneficial to someone else, and you have some basic qualifications, puts

I sometimes regret not paying them their $10 membership fee. It would have lubricated the first few steps of my career like @senri at a Bircher convention.

Depends on if you believe in there being any sort of comeuppance in the universe.

Came for the Trotsky tears, leaving with a full glass knowing he made that statement even after Apple and Google became the largest corporations in the worlds history during God Savior Obama's term...TDS ensures I will never get bored of reading these forums.

<NoneOfMy>

Good lord, you're stupid. You could have chosen any number of spurious anecdotes to try to make a point, but you chose the fact that two transnational corporations hadn't been broken up (which could in fact represent a problem of insufficient antitrust enforcement, so I will wait for you to make that argument since I'm not aware of any overly controversial antitrust wins by Apple or Google) as some sort of reason to further strip away regulation and allow them to get bigger, become more exploitative, avoid more taxes, exert more power over government and society, etc. Also, even setting aside Obama's unfortunate continuation of recent decades' laxness on antitrust, neither Google nor Apple are anywhere near the anticompetitive forces of Standard Oil and US Steel before them: they just have access to an entire world market.

Also, I think you're using "reading" somewhat liberally.

Then he shouldn't have had to ask why OP thought she was a good choice. I didn't pretend to know who she was. I researched her before commenting.
My personal knowledge is irrelevant to what Inga's reasoning might have been. Inga has already said that she didn't know whether Rao was a good choice and was talking about the scotus appointees.

Go try to bite someone else's ankles.

Back