Law Trump replaces Kavanaugh

lol. I thought this was about the SCOTUS seat, not filling the vacancy left behind.

I'm sure many Libs here saw the Title and got Excited....

...So sad your collective balloons were popped.

So sad. <{yearp}><{yearp}><{yearp}>

Yeah, I've read a few opinions of people who think she's good and one of a person who doesn't. I never heard of her prior to today personally.

I thought it was noteworthy that Trump seems to be moving quickly with nominations. I think @Ripskater is speaking for a lot of people when he earlier commented that judicial picks is why he voted for Trump. Trump himself may be well aware fo this, and since he's certainly not getting a wall I think he's likely to be very busy filling judicial appointments.

I believe if Trump could, he would replace EVERY SINGLE JUDGE across the country with Conservative Judges just to spite the Liberals. :D

I believe if Trump could, he would replace EVERY SINGLE JUDGE across the country with Conservative Judges just to spite the Liberals. :D

Spiting liberals is a poor motivation for any good work imo.

Spiting liberals is a poor motivation for any good work imo.

True. BTW, you didn't answer my question from earlier.

Can Trump get SOME things on his Agenda done if he wrote Executive Orders?

True. BTW, you didn't answer my question from earlier.

Can Trump get SOME things on his Agenda done if he wrote Executive Orders?

Sure. As a general principle I think he'd be better off trying to compromise with the Dems in the House at this point. If he wants something, he has to give something in most cases.

Last edited:
To be fair here I am not that active in the actual Federalist Society. I go to the occasional meeting but I don't have anything to do with the inner workings. That said one of my close friends and mentor runs the Center for Originalism and I know other prominent members do to my 1a and 2a work. It is not like the Federalist Society is some monolith where everyone thinks exactly the same. I have some real debates almost arguments with members that appear to want to give corporations a free pass on everything. There is a extremely vigorous debate internally about whether qualified immunity (the doctrine that keeps cops from getting sued more often than not) needs to be rolled back. That is just two of many issues. Those two just happen to be the ones I care a lot about.

Federalist Society members don't have some overarching agenda (although many members do) other than giving a forum for conservative ideas. And while its true that Federalist Society members help each other out that is just because you go to events and you become friends with people. Also by going to events you let people know your positions so it makes it a lot easier to vet members for positions. There is no shadowy plot to overtake the judiciary or anything like that. Its just a place where you can tell people you think the last century of commerce clause jurisprudence e.g. Wickard v Filburn should be overturned without people making fun of you. And then you meet other people that think that and are tired of getting made fun of. Then if you are ever in a position to help that guy you think he didn't make fun of me when I started talking about the commerce clause. I should help him out.

edit and I am going to be honest enough to say I never heard of this woman until today. I might and I really mean might have seen her name before but that is it. I gotta believe I am not alone here.

Kavanaugh's successful nomination left a void on the DC Circuit Court of Appeals. Trump moved to fill it today with Neomi Rao, an associate professor at George Mason, who has been one of Trump's key people in his attempts to fight overregulation.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics/trump-neomi-rao-brett-kavanaugh/index.html

Seems like a bold pick. I think Trump knows a lot of his agenda is dead with Dem control of the House, and so he'll focus on more solid judicial picks to round out his first term.

Thoughts?
Sweet!! She’s from my alma mater.

Sure. As a general principle I think he'd be better off trying to compromise with the Dems in the House at this point. If he wants something, he has to give something in most cases.

Unfortunately, for that dialogue to even HAPPEN, the Dems have got to WANT to work with Trump.

and I don't believe they do.

I think they will simply focus on Investigations, Subpoenas and Impeachment.

So I think he might have to resort to filling out Executive Orders in order to Get things done these next 2 years so as to try and prevent the Dems from shutting all progress down.

To be fair here I am not that active in the actual Federalist Society. I go to the occasional meeting but I don't have anything to do with the inner workings. That said one of my close friends and mentor runs the Center for Originalism and I know other prominent members do to my 1a and 2a work. It is not like the Federalist Society is some monolith where everyone thinks exactly the same. I have some real debates almost arguments with members that appear to want to give corporations a free pass on everything. There is a extremely vigorous debate internally about whether qualified immunity (the doctrine that keeps cops from getting sued more often than not) needs to be rolled back. That is just two of many issues. Those two just happen to be the ones I care a lot about.

Federalist Society members don't have some overarching agenda (although many members do) other than giving a forum for conservative ideas. And while its true that Federalist Society members help each other out that is just because you go to events and you become friends with people. Also by going to events you let people know your positions so it makes it a lot easier to vet members for positions. There is no shadowy plot to overtake the judiciary or anything like that. Its just a place where you can tell people you think the last century of commerce clause jurisprudence e.g. Wickard v Filburn should be overturned without people making fun of you. And then you meet other people that think that and are tired of getting made fun of. Then if you are ever in a position to help that guy you think he didn't make fun of me when I started talking about the commerce clause. I should help him out.

edit and I am going to be honest enough to say I never heard of this woman until today. I might and I really mean might have seen her name before but that is it. I gotta believe I am not alone here.

You're not alone which is why we have the internet :

Neomi Rao is the Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, which is an office in OMB focused on regulatory review. Administrator Rao is a former professor of structural constitutional law, administrative law, and legislation and statutory interpretation at the Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason University. Administrator Rao founded the Law School’s Center for the Study of the Administrative State and focused her scholarship on the political and constitutional accountability of administrative agencies and the role of Congress. Additionally, Administrator Rao’s comparative analysis of the use of dignity in constitutional law has been widely cited in the United States and abroad. She also served as a Member of the Administrative Conference of the United States and on the Governing Council of the ABA Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice.

Prior to joining the Law School, Administrator Rao served in all three branches of government. She served as Associate Counsel and Special Assistant to President George W. Bush. Administrator Rao also served as counsel to the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, where she was responsible for judicial nominations and constitutional law issues. In between government service, Administrator Rao practiced in the London office of Clifford Chance LLP, specializing in international law and commercial arbitration. After receiving a B.A. from Yale University and Juris Doctorate from the University of Chicago, Administrator Rao clerked for Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and for Justice Clarence Thomas on the U.S. Supreme Court.

https://fedsoc.org/contributors/neomi-rao

Unfortunately, for that dialogue to even HAPPEN, the Dems have got to WANT to work with Trump.

and I don't believe they do.

I think they will simply focus on Investigations, Subpoenas and Impeachment.

So I think he might have to resort to filling out Executive Orders in order to Get things done these next 2 years so as to try and prevent the Dems from shutting all progress down.

Yes, it seems that way to me too, but with good leadership work might still get done. If nothing happens in the Congress for the next two years, I'm not bothered.

I voted for Trump because of judicial picks.

It's maybe the most powerful thing a president does. Especially with a Democrat House.
well, is this a Trump pick or a Heritage Foundation pick? HF actually researches their suggestions.

well, is this a Trump pick or a Heritage Foundation pick? HF actually researches their suggestions.
Do u actually think trump is capable of making a judicial pick he is just honoring his end of the deal

Do u actually think trump is capable of making a judicial pick he is just honoring his end of the deal
I think he's certainly capable of doing quid pro quo.

It's also why despite it clearly being a joke, I cannot entirely dismiss the idea of Judge Jeanine possibly getting a nomination somewhere.

It's really crazy when you reflect on how much easier it is to get ahead in law and politics if you just become a right-wing hack. Once you get in to a top school, whether by merit or through a parent's donation like say Jared Kushner or D-Money, all you have to do is join FedSoc and you're automatically propelled past 90% of contemporaries and set on equal footing with the very best candidates who aren't hacks.

Reminds me of this little Maher rant from the Bush years. Pat Robertson's law school, smh.

Back