Brennan Center for Justice: States w/ discrimination history purging voters after protection removal

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mean.....this has been known for more than a decade now. Despite decades of trying, there has never been any credible evidence produced that voter fraud occurs in any meaningful amount. And recently discovered cases have all been from conservative voters. However, what is known is that millions of votes and voters are suppressed every single year using this thin veil of election integrity.

From campaign finance to voter suppression, one thing is clear: the Republican Party hates ordinary voters and really fucking hates democracy.

Nine states with a history of racial discrimination are more aggressively removing registered voters from their rolls than other states, according to a report released Friday.

After reviewing voter purges nationally from 2012 to 2016, the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice found that the mostly Southern jurisdictions that had once been required to get changes to voting policies pre-approved by the Justice Department had higher rates of purging than jurisdictions that were not previously subject to pre-clearance.

A key section of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which was designed to protect minority voters from state disenfranchisement, was struck down by the Supreme Court in 2013, allowing states to begin making changes affecting voting without first getting federal approval.

"Two million fewer voters would have been purged over those four years if jurisdictions previously subject to federal pre-clearance had purged at the same rate" as other jurisdictions, the Brennan Center estimated.

In Georgia, for example, 156 of the state's 159 counties reported an increase in removal rates after the Voting Rights Act was changed. In 2016, advocates sued Georgia for making voter registration harder.In 2017, the American Civil Liberties Union sued a Georgia county and the state Secretary of State for its purge practices, too.

"There's cause for concern when the purge rate goes up this much at the same time we're seeing controversial, sometimes illegal voter purge practice, in addition to changes to other voting laws that make it more difficult to participate," said Jonathan Brater, counsel for the Brennan Center's Democracy Program and one of the report's authors.

The Brennan Center's analysis found that election officials were purging voter rolls more aggressively nationwide, too, with some using imprecise or possibly illegal methods to do so.

Voter purges — cleaning up and pruning voter rolls down to remove inaccurate information — are a normal part of all election roll maintenance. But if purges are done too aggressively or with bad information, advocates warn, they can disenfranchise eligible voters, who may not know they've been purged until they go to the polls on Election Day and are unable to vote.

Brater said that under the Trump administration, "the Department of Justice has abdicated its responsibility to protect against bad voter purges."

"They've actually been encouraging jurisdictions to purge more aggressively," he said

In 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court recently approved Ohio's method for purging voters from the rolls. The Obama Justice Department had supported the challengers in the early stages of the court fight, but the Trump administration switched sides and supported the state.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...ng-rights-act-new-n893056?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

This is the only real concern I have about the midterms this year. How far will the suppression efforts go? It could lead to some terrible outcomes that are completely undemocratic.

Also, in before the usual clowns start crying about a voter ID card.

People who cast votes on electronic machines with no paper trail deserve what they get.

"Voting," HAH! That's a good one!

People who cast votes on electronic machines with no paper trail deserve what they get.

"Voting," HAH! That's a good one!

I do not understand why we don’t have an ID just for voting. And NO electronic voting. Must have a paper trail

I would think everyone would support this

TBH I'm more concerned with Russian trolls hacking into my local voting booth and switching my vote for me TBPH.

Also, in before the usual clowns start crying about a voter ID card.

"We need fuckin' voter ID cards, ya goof."

6JFvU6z0_400x400.png

Liberals: we need to stop allowing other countries to meddle in our elections!!!!

Non citizens/ “undocumented” immigrants should be allowed to vote!!!

I’m all for mandatory voter ID.

Liberals: we need to stop allowing other countries to meddle in our elections!!!!

Non citizens/ “undocumented” immigrants should be allowed to vote!!!

I’m all for mandatory voter ID.

Conservatives: I can't argue the actual topic at hand!

Also, conservatives: So here's a strawman! Open borders! Tranny kids! Pizza pedophiles!

That video was hilarious, stupid smart kids at Berkeley. especially that one who said since convicted felons can’t vote, that means not very many blacks people in Florida can vote....what the hell lol, that’s th UC school system there for ya.

I'm confused on how this "purging" directly impacts people especially somehow democratic voters.

Conservatives: I can't argue the actual topic at hand!

Also, conservatives: So here's a strawman! Open borders! Tranny kids! Pizza pedophiles!

Irony is not lost

That video was hilarious, stupid smart kids at Berkeley. especially that one who said since convicted felons can’t vote, that means not very many blacks people in Florida can vote....what the hell lol, that’s th UC school system there for ya.
Those poor kids. They meant well... but God damn

I'm guessing the voter purging algorithm in swing states with Republican majorities is going to look something like: "Get rid of anyone whose last name ends with a vowel or the letter "Z"

Back