Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

Yeah but what if 2 days before your start date, they tell you will be working as a plumber instead as an accountant, which is what you went to college for? You'll get paid the same, but if you can't do the job, you don't get the bonus that was part of the contract. Is that fair treatment?
Terrible analogy.

he most certainly did not...

he contractually agreed to fight Max Holloway for the UFC LW title, not "an opponent TBD, days before the event" for some bullshit interim title.
UFC bout agreements have a clause allowing the UFC to replace a fighter due to injury etc. Its been posted here numerous times.

I agree with Ortega here. Imagine the Croatians suffered a food poisoning incident, and pulled out of the World Cup final on Sunday. France were told they had to play Brazil instead, and it would be for an 'interim' World Cup. What's more, if they didn't accept, they'd all go unpaid. That would never fly, the sport would become a laughing stock.

For those who think this is out of context, Dana said himself that he thought MMA would be as big as soccer, hence the comparison.

UFC bout agreements have a clause allowing the UFC to replace a fighter due to injury etc. Its been posted here numerous times.

and UFC fighters have the option to not accept that opponent.

do you see any fighters getting sued for breaching their contract when they don't accept a replacement fighter?

Negotiate it in the contract next time. Don’t cry about it now.

and UFC fighters have the option to not accept that opponent.

do you see any fighters getting sued for breaching their contract when they don't accept a replacement fighter?
No they simply do not get paid since they did not complete their portion of the bout agreement. If they do not accept the replacement opponent they have zero right to cry like a entitled baby about not getting paid. They signed that agreement.

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.
Using that logic Max should get paid too.

Imagine this, imagine that, what if you were going to cater a wedding, that wedding was cancelled THE DAY OF, and they tried to make you cater a different wedding. On the moon!

Enough stupid fucking analogies and what ifs. Their contracts state they can change the opponent. Game over.The only argument you can make now, is they should have paid him to be nice. From a business standpoint, they're covered.

I am on the fence.

The guy was supposed to show up prepared to fight, and he did that, though he didn’t fight.

Sucks for guys in his shoes when the other fighter pulls out that close to the fight.

Which two fighters was he offered to fight against?
Stephens and Edgar. The standard ufc contract emphasizes date, location, and pay, but opponent is subject to change. He turned down the replacement and consequently, his paycheck.
5E69BE71-A5F8-4F3E-9ECC-2D6961BF3481.png

Again, you wanna argue they should pay him just to be nice, that's one thing. Saying he provided a service that made them money is false. The promotion didn't make them anything because he didn't fight on the card. That was waste of time and money for them as well.

You do know tickets are bought more than a week in advance, right? Hell, people even pre-buy UFC cards. Yes, them promoting Ortega on the card influenced sales.

Imagine this, imagine that, what if you were going to cater a wedding, that wedding was cancelled THE DAY OF, and they tried to make you cater a different wedding. On the moon!

Enough stupid fucking analogies and what ifs. Their contracts state they can change the opponent. Game over.The only argument you can make now, is they should have paid him to be nice. From a business standpoint, they're covered.

It's almost like people are saying fighters are all but forced into shitty contracts if they want to fight in the UFC

You do know tickets are bought more than a week in advance, right?
You do know the vast majority of their revenue comes from ppv buys right? Since that's how the majority of people are watching? Promotion for a fight all ppv buyers knew wasn't on the card anymore doesn't do much for the ufc. He wanted to avoid risk, AND take a payday for doing nothing. Can't have it both ways.

It's almost like people are saying fighters are all but forced into shitty contracts if they want to fight in the UFC
Yeah.....no shit. Which means, ALL of the people arguing they should pay him to be nice should get their heads out of their asses. huge multi billion dollar companies don't do things to be nice. So to recap:

1: They should pay him, from a business perspective! No. From a business perspective, they wrote into the contracts they can give you a last minute opponent change, and tough titty. They did this to cover their own asses.

2. It would be nice and moral to pay him. Yes! Sure! However, huge corporations don't give two fucks about what's nice or moral. Welcome to the real world. They're not going to bend over backwards to incur more losses in a situation where they are already losing revenue, to be nice.

3. This shows the fighters need to form a union! Yes! Ding ding ding, CORRECT! They ARE getting screwed. And they will KEEP getting screwed until they unionize. The ufc is L E S S generous under wme than under the Fertittas. The people that realize these obvious facts and understand how corporations work, aren't being corporate shills. For understanding business relationships, in actual reality, do not operate based on sympathy or kindness.

Extra bonus point: Ortega made a business decision base on minimizing risk, and maximizing profit. With no care about his employers bottom line. Then, he expected them in return to make a decision based on being nice and caring about Ortega's finances, when he didn't care about theirs.

hyp·o·crite
ˈhipəˌkrit/
noun
  1. a person who indulges in hypocrisy.

Every once in a while Dana gets it right, like this time.

You do know tickets are bought more than a week in advance, right? Hell, people even pre-buy UFC cards. Yes, them promoting Ortega on the card influenced sales.
Therefore Ortege screwed every fan that bought a ticket to see him. And damaged the reputation of the UFC.

I for one just haven’t heard a logical argument in the other direction.

The UFC contract states you agree to fight on a particular night, at a particular weight, for particular pay. If your opponent is injured, a replacement may be found (if one isn’t found because it’s too close to the fight, then you get paid).

Ortega essentially nulled the contract by turning down the replacement, hence no pay. If you’re arguing it shouldn’t be that way, then sure. Maybe it’s dickish. But the UFC more than fulfilled their obligations. Jobs get cancelled, it’s life. View attachment 405721
Like I said in another post, I'm not arguing against the contract. Ortega gets paid to fight on the night, whether it's Max or someone else. But like you said it is dickish that he is forced to fight a short replacement opponent, if he wants to get paid for all the work he has put in so far. And that too by no fault of his own, but because his opponent pulled out at the last minute.

Like I said in another post, I'm not arguing against the contract. Ortega gets paid to fight on the night, whether it's Max or someone else. But like you said it is dickish that he is forced to fight a short replacement opponent, if he wants to get paid for all the work he has put in so far. And that too by no fault of his own, but because his opponent pulled out at the last minute.
Yeah, there is an argument for changing the structure of replacement opponents and pay. I agree with you there.

However, for the people saying ufc are in the wrong and need to pay it’s just not the case.

If UFC pays fighters when their opponent pulls out, no fighter will ever accept a replacement fight again.
they often pay them something but less than their show money. I think that's the fair solution, they don't deserve their full pay because they did refuse another fight but they did fulfill their part in being ready for the fight and it's not their fault their opponent withdrew.

Extra bonus point: Ortega made a business decision base on minimizing risk, and maximizing profit. With no care about his employers bottom line. Then, he expected them in return to make a decision based on being nice and caring about Ortega's finances, when he didn't care about theirs.

hyp·o·crite
ˈhipəˌkrit/
noun
  1. a person who indulges in hypocrisy.

He did the same when he took PEDs. Should the UFC cover his steroid expenses as well?

He also did it when he accepted to be a replacement against Edgar, then didn’t accept a replacement when he was on the other side. Can’t have it both ways.

It’s typical human behavior.

“The vending gave me two bags of chips by accident! Hell yeah!”

“The vending machine took my money! It’s not fair!”

Back