Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

I fully understand him turning down the last minute fights to wait for a title shot. But it’s mind fucking to me that he was expecting to be paid show money when he turned down two suitable replacements. I feel like anyone with common sense knows that if you opt to wait for a title shot instead of fighting, it comes at the expense of your purse.
Exactly this. I'm not mad at the guy for playing it safe with a title shot, the way ufc screws fighters. But he had to expect after turning down two replacements they weren't going to pay him. He pissed them off.

I don't blame him for not accepting a last minute fight but ffs, he said no to it, he had the chance to get paid and he chose not to.
Surely a standard business tactic

In the past the UFC has paid fighters show money if their opponent pulled out last min. But of course many of those fighters weren't headlining cards and their show pay was a lot less. I don't have a problem with the UFC not paying him because he pulled out as the main event when they gave him another opponent. However, I don't think they should punish him either but I am sure they will remember this in the future.

How these guys haven't started negotiating that into their contracts is beyond me
They don't have much leverage, and refuse to take any risk to unionize. That part makes it kind of hard to feel sorry for them. If they want a bigger piece of the pie, other sports have already shown them the route they must take. And it involves playing hardball and standing your ground. Nobody gets anything for free.

Back in africa I learned that poor people will perform any trick of your choice for just a bag of m&m's. I think that's the approach the UFC should use when dealing with fighters. They have become too spoiled

Occupational hazard, sadly.

It would be nice if fighters could get this woven into their contracts in the future in some way, if only to offset some of the major fight expenses.

al the training, and training costs, should get him something imo

In the past the UFC has paid fighters show money if their opponent pulled out last min. But of course many of those fighters weren't headlining cards and their show pay was a lot less. I don't have a problem with the UFC not paying him because he pulled out as the main event when they gave him another opponent. However, I don't think they should punish him either but I am sure they will remember this in the future.
Most of those fighters still weighed in, which is a requirement to receive show money.

They don't have much leverage, and refuse to take any risk to unionize. That part makes it kind of hard to feel sorry for them. If they want a bigger piece of the pie, other sports have already shown them the route they must take. And it involves playing hardball and standing your ground. Nobody gets anything for free.

I agree, although this should still be something they do

They definitely have enough leverage to negotiate something this minor, the fact that it's something that gets decided case by case instead of having a clear ruling on how to deal with it just show how young this sport is and even more than that the level of shitty shady scumbags these guys have representing them

If these guys were represented by real top tier sports agencies this shit would never fly. But while Ali Adeladumbass can't negotiate a contract he can get you some of that sweet sweet genocide money and for most of these guys that's better than nothing

Normally I stand with the fighter, but Ortega just refused a couple of fights that made sense. So f*ck this dude. Good move from Dana.
I think he only refused the Stephens fight.

His training camp expenses should be covered.

He will fight the winner of aldo and stephens if max is out for a while

al the training, and training costs, should get him something imo

UFC wasted tons of money on the promotion, and sold way less PPVs because the co-main fell out. Do they deserve compensation too?

If anything Max Holloway should be the one paying UFC and Ortega out of his pocket for fucking this one up.

If you don't take a replacement fight then I understand not getting a fight purse, but there is something to be said for at least paying him for media and all the other time he put in for the UFC.

To me, it seems a payment of the full show purse is a lot. But fighters should be compensated for the time and energy they put in to hold up their end of the bargain some amount of money.

I would hope people would try to negotiate contracts with language in regards to these situations in the future.

Dana ask Ortega to fight at 226. Strange how that works when you don’t help your employer out, they are less likely to help you.

I agree, although this should still be something they do

They definitely have enough leverage to negotiate something this minor, the fact that it's something that gets decided case by case instead of having a clear ruling on how to deal with it just show how young this sport is and even more than that the level of shitty shady scumbags these guys have representing them

If these guys were represented by real top tier sports agencies this shit would never fly. But while Ali Adeladumbass can't negotiate a contract he can get you some of that sweet sweet genocide money and for most of these guys that's better than nothing
If his career continues on it's current trajectory, then he may have that level of leverage in the future. But he came in as a young unproven guy, and it seems like they all get pretty much the same basic (terrible and exploitative) contract. Honestly if you think your fighter has legit top 5 potential, I think it's in your best interest as a coach or manager to advise them to go to Bellator or another smaller promotion.

Crush a bunch of cans, get some utterly meaningless belts, and get people talking about you and creating a buzz. Saying you're The Best Fighter Outside The UFC. Alvarez, Lombard, Diaz, Melendez, Shields, etc. all got a MUCH better contract than if they'd started out in the ufc. Then either way whether you're an all time great or a washout, you'll still clear high 6 to low 7 figures and get a quicker path to a title shot. Fighters REALLY need to learn that there's more to the fight game than training and fighting. At least if you want to get paid.

If his career continues on it's current trajectory, then he may have that level of leverage in the future. But he came in as a young unproven guy, and it seems like they all get pretty much the same basic (terrible and exploitative) contract. Honestly if you think your fighter has legit top 5 potential, I think it's in your best interest as a coach or manager to advise them to go to Bellator or another smaller promotion.

Crush a bunch of cans, get some utterly meaningless belts, and get people talking about you and creating a buzz. Saying you're The Best Fighter Outside The UFC. Alvarez, Lombard, Diaz, Melendez, Shields, etc. all got a MUCH better contract than if they'd started out in the ufc. Then either way whether you're an all time great or a washout, you'll still clear high 6 to low 7 figures and get a quicker path to a title shot. Fighters REALLY need to learn that there's more to the fight game than training and fighting. At least if you want to get paid.

Damn! You're in the wrong business buddeh. Plus you shouldn't be giving this advice out for free.

On one hand, the fighter he trained and prepared for pulled out so in that regard I feel like he should get some expenses.

But then he also turned down a fight which kinda counteracts the whole thing. I think I actually agree with Dana on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back