Brian Ortega asked Dana White to be paid for UFC 226

b775ebf0-b08b-4578-8e1c-697a84ac63e8-png.405277

Frankie Edgar died for this.

Damn! You're in the wrong business buddeh. Plus you shouldn't be giving this advice out for free.
Haha I'm just a fairly analytical guy. Someday I should really put that to use in my life in some meaningful way.

<45><45><45>

If UFC pays fighters when their opponent pulls out, no fighter will ever accept a replacement fight again.
Makes sense but Dana has paid guys in the past that had an opponent pull out late.

If his career continues on it's current trajectory, then he may have that level of leverage in the future. But he came in as a young unproven guy, and it seems like they all get pretty much the same basic (terrible and exploitative) contract. Honestly if you think your fighter has legit top 5 potential, I think it's in your best interest as a coach or manager to advise them to go to Bellator or another smaller promotion.

Crush a bunch of cans, get some utterly meaningless belts, and get people talking about you and creating a buzz. Saying you're The Best Fighter Outside The UFC. Alvarez, Lombard, Diaz, Melendez, Shields, etc. all got a MUCH better contract than if they'd started out in the ufc. Then either way whether you're an all time great or a washout, you'll still clear high 6 to low 7 figures and get a quicker path to a title shot. Fighters REALLY need to learn that there's more to the fight game than training and fighting. At least if you want to get paid.

He actually did have leverage though. He signed his latest contract after subbing Cub and when the UFC were asking him to take a short notice fight with Edgar to save a card for them. He had a ton of leverage he easily could have negotiated it

I agree with the rest of what you said though, it really is the most intelligent path at this point. If you want 6 figure pay days all you need is a name whether you're the greatest or not. And it's much easier to stand out outside the UFC than inside. If Gregor Gillespe was in Bellator right now people would be clamouring to bring him over and throw him right into a title fight

As it stands though even half of the hardcore MMA community has no idea who he is because he's just another faceless Reebok kit wrestle boxer to them, no matter how good he is

If UFC pays fighters when their opponent pulls out, no fighter will ever accept a replacement fight again.
The UFC should have a guy for every weight class that is on the card ready to go. If the fights go through, pay the guy who was ready to go. The UFC needs to reduce their margin for some stability to these cards. And all fighters should be required to fight that specific replacement as they would have known about them for an extended period of time.

Welcome to the realities of "independent contracting".

Maybe a meeting with Leslie Smith is in order.

Ortega can complain just like Dillashaw did. Ultimately, they will do what the UFC says cause they are weak.

I fully understand him turning down the last minute fights to wait for a title shot. But it’s mind fucking to me that he was expecting to be paid show money when he turned down two suitable replacements. I feel like anyone with common sense knows that if you opt to wait for a title shot instead of fighting, it comes at the expense of your purse.
I only heard about Stephens who else was he offered?

A fighter simply training isn't putting money in the pockets of the UFC.

Even if they train perfectly, it only turns into value *if* they fight a fight where people are parting with money.

Most jobs have occupational hazards and this is one of them. If they don't like it, negotiate for it when the contract comes up.

But the UFC has zero *obligation* to cover fighters in that circumstance.

He actually did have leverage though. He signed his latest contract after subbing Cub and when the UFC were asking him to take a short notice fight with Edgar to save a card for them. He had a ton of leverage he easily could have negotiated it

I agree with the rest of what you said though, it really is the most intelligent path at this point. If you want 6 figure pay days all you need is a name whether you're the greatest or not. And it's much easier to stand out outside the UFC than inside. If Gregor Gillespe was in Bellator right now people would be clamouring to bring him over and throw him right into a title fight

As it stands though even half of the hardcore MMA community has no idea who he is because he's just another faceless Reebok kit wrestle boxer to them, no matter how good he is
Ah I wasn't aware he re-signed so recently. In that case yeah, his manager/camp just sucks. A lot of these guys seem to have managers that gleefully take a cut of their money without doing much for their fight purse. "Oh I can get you in the ufc!" Just being a talented prospect will get you to the big show. A manager should be getting you there with a contract that doesn't bend you over. Unfortunately a lot of these guys are really young with no business sense, and seem to blindly trust the first camp and manager to come their way. It really is still a young sport.

UFC wasted tons of money on the promotion, and sold way less PPVs because the co-main fell out. Do they deserve compensation too?

If anything Max Holloway should be the one paying UFC and Ortega out of his pocket for fucking this one up.

Did Max get a concussion on purpose or something?

I get the sense that there is no real standard when it comes to what is the contracts for the fighters, which is fuckin ridiculous for a billion dollar company.

LMFAO @ all the Corporate Slaves siding with the Corporate Master...Fuck, you people are Corporate Cucks.

He did everything he could to fight Max Halloway.....Max Halloway pulled out....He was offered a replacement but it was a risk and he opt not to.

Up to the Max Halloway pull out point...He did everything, promos, media, weight cut etc.....He fucking did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He atleast deserves a bit of paycheck for what he did do....At least the fucking expenses he wasted.

UFC is a crap company, so it doesn't surprise me.

Gluck getting a music promoter to pay a band $ for canceling a show because one of their band members got sick & couldn't perform & they didn't carry on the show.

Did Max get a concussion on purpose or something?

If the concussion was caused by him not safely cutting weight/waterloading then yes, that is indeed on purpose. You're a professional, you're supposed to cut weight and waterload safely and responsibly, if something happens that's 100% on you. If Max is on a UFC bus and gets hit by a dolly, then that's an accident and 100% not his fault.

If you get a replacement fight and you dont accept... You shouldnt get paid

If the concussion was caused by him not safely cutting weight/waterloading then yes, that is indeed on purpose. You're a professional, you're supposed to cut weight and waterload safely and responsibly, if something happens that's 100% on you. If Max is on a UFC bus and gets hit by a dolly, then that's an accident and 100% not his fault.

How did he get the concussion though? Do you have info that indicates it was actually due to his own negligence?

We're constantly told by Dana when he's mad at someone not doing promotion that it's part of the job. Hell Diaz got pulled from a title fight for not meeting his press obligations. But apparently that stuff is all expected to be free labor.

Fighters need to negotiate these things into their contracts. And they should really form a union. But what do I care. That's on them if they're too scared to go up against their contractor.

Not a fan of Ortega refusing a replacement fight, but he signed a contract to fight Max and should be paid his show money at the very least.
It's a cheap ass move by the ufc

Lol doesn't hurt to ask, worst that can happen is he is told no, best is he gets paid something. I see why he did it even though I dont agree with it.

Not a fan of Ortega refusing a replacement fight, but he signed a contract to fight Max and should be paid his show money at the very least.
It's a cheap ass move by the ufc

He signed a contract to fight Max, he didn't fight Max, nor did he even weigh in.

Why on earth does he deserve show money?

Back