British man facing charges in Dubai for smoking weed before he entered the country.

People go there because there's money to be made and business to be had. If you work in the energy industry or finance (among many others obviously) there's a good chance that at some point in your career you'll be spending time in places like Dubai, Doha or Abu Dabi. And obviously the Arabs want this to be so, since they recognize the need for global partnerships and diversification of their economies. And that's where the problem comes in: In Canada for example, you could be prescribed cannabis as a legitimate form of medication for insomnia, anxiety, migraines, etc. But then you end up in a place like Dubai because your employer needs you to go there, and all of a sudden that prescription is grounds for a 2 year jail term. If these countries are truly committed to moving forward (and they should be, the oil is going to run out eventually and/or alternative energy sources will take its place), they need to recognize that they can't prosecute expats for something like violating their own draconian laws. I'm not advocating that we should be able to go to the ME and literally expect to get away with murder, but a completely legal drug prescription, or even recreational drug use that wouldn't even get you a fine here, shouldn't carry the risks of imprisonment.

It was a rhetorical question. I am familiar with Dubai but I have never been there. We don't need to work with them in the Americas, more than enough resources here. I'd rather cut all ties with middle eastern muslim countries.

Places have laws, and you shouldn't break them. If you do, you will face consequences.

I feel this way about drug laws, immigration laws, when protests turn violent, and a whole bunch of other things. You don't have to like the law, but you need to obey it or face the consequences.

It was a rhetorical question. I am familiar with Dubai but I have never been there. We don't need to work with them in the Americas, more than enough resources here. I'd rather cut all ties with middle eastern muslim countries.

Virtually none of the major corporations operating in your country share that point of view though.

Can you expand on this please?

I'd rather limit trade with other countries as much as possible. I'd rather countries live off their own resources.

You are Canadian I believe, if not, whatever.... Canada is a perfect example of this. Vast country, tons of resources- they should pretty much close up their border.

Might not be the best economic strategy to get rid of most major employers in your country.
You don't think small businesses would pick up the slack? Only major corporations are capable of sustaining an economy?

You don't think small businesses would pick up the slack? Only major corporations are capable of sustaining an economy?

Hypothetically yes, but it's no longer realistic. Show me a proposal where we shift from global conglomerates to small private firms that doesn't result in a massive economic downturn that would fuck over entire generations, and I'm all ears.

This might sound harsh but i dont feel sorry for people who get locked up for some dumb shit in dubai. You know the risks so theres nobody to blame but yourself if you go there.

Why dull?

Are you in England? Do you enjoy new people moving to England everyday?
UK used to be self-sustainable for food. Not even close now.

We used to be self sustainable for food before the industrial revolution perhaps we ought to revert to a sort of pre French revolutionary/Napoleonic war state of being .

Maybe don't snap pics of yourself smoking weed. You don't look cool. (edit, not that the punishment fits the crime, just saying)

There was that one American guy who was arrested in North Korea for pulling down propaganda posters, and I just could not get myself to sympathize with him. Of course he should not be basically punished with the death penalty for that crime, but what the hell was he expecting? He went into one of the most demented regimes on the planet and committed a crime against their leader (who they basically present as a God).

Yeah, Singapore is a totalitarian shopping mall and the least corrupt country I've ever been to.
I've heard no end of stories about guys going to the full moon party in Thailand, or spending a couple of months on the beaches of Bali, and then getting in serious trouble in Singapore on what is essentially just a stop over.

My old training partner Major runs a jiu jitsu school out there. As harsh as the laws sound to us. It appears to be the will of the people by a pretty large margin.

There was that one American guy who was arrested in North Korea for pulling down propaganda posters, and I just could not get myself to sympathize with him. Of course he should not be basically punished with the death penalty for that crime, but what the hell was he expecting? He went into one of the most demented regimes on the planet and committed a crime against their leader (who they basically present as a God).

I was the same. And really if you broke into a federal building and stole a piece of government property in the US there are a lot of way you would get jail time and that is basically what the guy did.

i would never go there for the weather-alone. fuck that.

Sharia gonna Sharia. And yeah, I know some non-Muslim Asian countries have similar laws. I think the law is stupid, but it's also stupid to not educate yourself on what the law is when moving to another country, especially a Sharia law country. And don't post pictures of yourself performing said illegal act all over social media.

What about the woman who was jailed in Dubai for reporting that she was raped to the police. Is she also "entitled" for not knowing what would happen when she went to the cops?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-arab-emirates-nightmare-ordeal-a7426421.html

Fucking imbecile.
I certainly won't ridicule women who went to Dubai and were raped and reported it because they thought they were dealing with reasonable people and not fundamentalist savages. But given that these cases have been covered in the media, hopefully people will be aware now and act accordingly.

Back