British man facing charges in Dubai for smoking weed before he entered the country.

agree. what countries do you think are multicultural in the world today? does US count? what about India. People mention india a lot but it is 900 million almost hindis and illegal to kill a cow in india. So i would say that hindis and hindu culture is supreme over all others.

Even in America's case, I would say that "Americanism" (which has absorbed all of the cultures within to form a distinct entity), rules over any other cultural influence.

The way that American cities were initially formed, with Italians, Irish, English, Germans, etc. all residing in their own areas, with their own traditions and language, with ethnic mobs running each neighbourhood, was more "multi-cultural" than the modern state of affairs. But due to strong efforts on part of the government, all of the smaller entities were successfully integrated into American society. Only remnants remain of the previously strong Italian Mafias, Irish mobs, etc. that once had legitimate pull over their respective ethnic groups.

It's the closest we've got to a properly functioning "multi-cultural" society, but even then, America has not ever shown a submissive posture to immigrating peoples, but has rather been extremely strict in enforcing their integration to the society, through harsh laws, punishments, surveillance agencies monitoring all immigrating groups.

It's only in recent decades, when they've loosened the grip. From 30's to the 70's, America was pretty damn strict when it comes to immigration.

Last edited:
Same deal in Singapore. You'd think with all the warnings and media exposure the harsh drug laws in S E Asia get that young travellers would be smart about it, but it's the same story every year.

Who has tougher drug laws Malaysia or Singapore? or they are just about the same?

Singapore's too authoritarian and micromanaged for me (birth rates too low? how about mandatory, government run, social mixers, with your employer notified if you fail to attend), but I'm fine with the judicial caning and littering laws.

Who ever thought off that government run mandatory mixers should be caned to death. And I mean it. Dictators should get a taste of their own medicine.

Who has tougher drug laws Malaysia or Singapore? or they are just about the same?

Singapore has the death penalty for much smaller quantities and does more blood checks/screening etc.

Edit: Actually Singapore has a higher threshold for Opium than Malaysia used to have (lower for other drugs), but Malaysia abolished mandatory death penalties last year.

Countries have laws and you shouldn't break them.

3bd.jpg
The thing with the Emirates is that they intentionally give the expat population the feeling that certain illicit things can be done with no issues, but the problem is that when the government or a local with wasta (influence) is annoyed at an expat about something, they come down hard on the expat for violating some victimless crime law. There is no real rule-of-law there.

The thing with the Emirates is that they intentionally give the expat population the feeling that certain illicit things can be done with no issues, but the problem is that when the government or a local with wasta (influence) is annoyed at an expat about something, they come down hard on the expat for violating some victimless crime law. There is no real rule-of-law there.

Seems like the kind of thing someone should be aware of before going there and breaking the law.

It’s really hard for me to feel bad for some dirty brit who posts pictures of himself smoking weed and traveling through the Middle East.

I mean my heart is breaking here lol.

Seems like the kind of thing someone should be aware of before going there and breaking the law.
That the problem, they place makes it seem like everything is cool , including breaking some laws. Most expats and tourists simply don't live like everything will go tits up in a flash because all they see around them is people having fun and not getting into trouble. The governments there intentionally give a false impression, to attract tourists and build their economy and increase their global soft power.

Back