British veterans start political party

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
HEROES VS MPS
Ex-servicemen launching political party to challenge ‘morally deficient’ MPs
SAS hero Robin Horsfall has joined forces with former Army sergeant major Gavin Felton to set up the Democrats and Veterans Party with a manifesto that appeals to 'decent, patriotic people'

ARMED forces veterans will declare all-out war on mainstream politicians next month – by launching their own party. Five ex-squaddies aim to field 87 candidates at the next election on a mission to topple “morally deficient” and “self-serving careerist” MPs.

SAS hero Robin Horsfall has joined forces with former Army sergeant major Gavin Felton to set up the Democrats and Veterans Party.
They have drawn up a manifesto which they believe will appeal to millions of “decent, patriotic people” with centrist views.And they hope to have 1,000 members on board when the new party is launched on February 9.

Mr Horsfall, who served with the special forces team that stormed the Iranian Embassy in 1980, has joined the DVP’s five-man board.Other officials include Trevor Coult, who won the Military Cross in Iraq.

In their manifesto, which has been seen by The Sun on Sunday, the veterans say they want to unite decent civilians and ex-forces who love their country. It says: “We believe it’s the British people, not our self-serving elite, who are best placed to make decisions.

“We now have the means to guarantee real government by consent. We have a plan to implement this system across Britain.”

Officials reckon they will have at least 1,000 members signed up within a week of thier launch. Funding will come from donations and £24-a-year membership fees.

Plans are so well advanced that the DVP says it could field 87 candidates if there was a snap election tomorrow. They will initially target constituencies with garrison towns or high populations of service personnel, such as Tidworth, Catterick, Aldershot and Colchester.

Mr Felton, who served in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo and Rwanda during a 24-year Army career, said: “We have listened to the views of thousands of ordinary people who have told us they no longer have faith in the mainstream political parties. They feel let down by the expenses and sex scandals and are angry at the failed wars in Iraq and lack of support for our armed forces in Afghanistan.”

“Our aim is to bring democracy back to the people. There are about four million veterans in this country and we want to get their support.We are also there to represent everyone who works in frontline services such as the police, fire and ambulance. We will also seek to win the support of teachers and healthcare professionals and the common link among them is that they all feel disconnected from mainstream political parties.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5389616/ex-squaddies-to-launch-political-party/

8,000 UK veterans form new political party to start ‘war with the politicians

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/29/8000-...ty-to-start-war-with-the-politicians-6742304/

New Political Party 'The Democrats and Veterans Party' To Officially Launch 9th February in London
https://www.themilitarytimes.co.uk/...y-To-Officially-Launch-9th-February-in-London

Veterans Launch Political Party After SAS Hero Left Homeless While Govt Lavishes Money on Foreign Aid, EU

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018/01/21/veterans-launch-political-party-sas-hero-left-homeless/

Will be interesting to see if and how this further develops.

I don't expect much to come from this. We have fewer service people and less of a culture of reverence towards service people than a lot of countries (rightly or wrongly).

If it all it does is highlight the plight a lot of people are left in after leaving the armed forces that will be a good thing, even if it falls short of causing actual change in the Commons.

Vets starting their own political party?
What could possibly go wrong?
I just hope that dude wasn't a painter between his service and starting a Party.

I just hope that dude wasn't a painter between his service and starting a Party.
Literally Longshanks.

Came into this thread to see if this political party was going to be started by Veterans of Foreign Wars, or Veterinary care providers....

In reality...Longshanks wasn't like he was portrayed in Brave Heart.

Literally...Hitlershanks ?
Lol. And yes, I realize Hollywood shanks wasn't historically accurate.

As for the topic though, I wonder how receptive they'll find their fellow military personnel and dependents?

Came into this thread to see if this political party was going to be started by Veterans of Foreign Wars, or Veterinary care providers....
Fixed it for ya.

Yorkshire dime

Spent a few weeks in England last June. Very few attractive "birds."

My best friend was married in Nutfield Priory. Sat at a table with 5 English girls none of whom knew who Motorhead or Billy Idol were. But they asked me about Nelly. Frown

As for the topic though, I wonder how receptive they'll find their fellow military personnel and dependents?

The Brits I met in Iraq were cool as hell. We swapped MRE's and talked British invasion bands and music.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I don't actually mind the idea. I mean if its just another right-wing populist, meh.
But if they represent the interest from vets and ex-service members better outreach for PTSD maybe higher pay etc. I would be sympathetic to their cause.
But I also don't know how the UK is handling that stuff now or if it needs much improvement.

Strength through Unity.
Unity through Faith;)

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Actual policy positions would have been interesting.

Back