BrokeBack Mountain - Discuss

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I rewatched this over the weekend.

Allow me to say - I'm not homophobic, but there is not a gay bone in my body. I'm am firmly 100% hertrosexual.
I don't besmirch gay men either though.
As a matter of fact - I'm not particularly enthusiastic about that prototypical "in your face", butch alpha male shit either - that has historically been considered what being a "real man", is.

The historical "real man", they don't fair so well in customer service positions.
Women - do far better here.

By the same token - women don't really do great in heavy labour job roles.

Point I'm making is - I don't think we're at the evolutionary point yet, where we really understand what is a truly balanced and progressive personal disposition (personality).

But - as to the film BrokeBack Mountain - I mean it unquestionably gives rise to a certain sympathy, as the characters pain is exhibited often, in terms of their not being able to have their needs met by one another sufficiently - due to the possible societal backlash during that particular era.

One outstanding point of consequence that the film makers obviously use to their advantage here is - both protagonists - they're trophy men, effectively.
Regardless of orientation - women throw themselves at them.

If they were some regular average looking dipshits - the audience wouldn't be nearly as sympathetic to their cause.

But the film obviously broaches the poor tolerance of society to homosexuality.

I think in terms of the topics of men, women, disposition, orientation - the good, the bad, the ugly - there's a multitude of, as yet undefined themes that this film touches on; to me, that's what makes it somewhat unique and, despite potentially catching feedback for this opinion - an enjoyable and thought provoking piece of filmography to watch.

Last edited:
Ang Lee is my boy, but I have yet to watch this on Netflix (and probably thumbs-up it) partially because I fear what the algorithm will suggest me afterward.

Didn’t really like it. Too slow.

The Thanksgiving dinner scene with Gyllenhals in laws is a great scene though

g1ReGRt.jpg

It's a great movie imo

Never seent it.

I know it's about gay love on a large landform that rises above the surrounding land in a limited area, in the form of a peak.

There's a kiss.

I have never watched it and I never will. I’m not a homophobe, I just don’t care to watch a drama about two manly cowboys meeting once a years to fuck each other in a tent behind their wives and families backs. No different than me not wanting to watch any of those Madea movies. Just not my cup of tea.

The most I've seen of it was an ad on Fox back when I was a child watching The Simpsons/Futurama.

Had to ask my mom why two men were making out.

Good movie. There is a saying in Russian that there are gay men and there are f4gg0ts, former like to have sex with males and latter are shitty people. Well, brokeback mountain is about gay men. I am not fond of gays in general (don't appreciate flamboyancy), but I was completely ok with that movie, I liked it. It shows us 2 complex and interesting characters with their passions, fears and problems.

Is it the one where McConaughey got aids?

Its a great movie.

One thing that was never clear to me was:
....was Ledger's character closet gay or was he turned by Jake or was he gay only for Jake? I could never figure this out.

Its a great movie.

One thing that was never clear to me was:
....was Ledger's character closet gay or was he turned by Jake or was he gay only for Jake? I could never figure this out.

They both were closet homosexuals, Jake just wanted to be out more hence why his character was always trying to pick up men before meeting Anne Hathaways character.

I think Heaths character was only interested in Jake's character since he constantly kept dating women yet always made the trip to see Jake.

It was a good movie I finally saw this year but I wouldnt rewatch it again. Heath definitely deserved an oscar imo for his Performance.

The ending was pretty sad too

One of the greater movies imo...

"I wish I could quit you!"

Back