Broner vs Maidana official- December 14th

Finally got around to watching the fight...

it wasn't the one sided beat down/mauling I expected it to be considering the comment I read here...

I had it 7 rounds to 5. Broner, took rounds 4-7 and by the looks of it was looking pretty good, getting his legs back and stealing the momentum...until he got put on his ass in the 8th.

It impressed me the hard shots he took.

Another observation, this fight makes me appreciate the defensive prowess of PBF so much more...looks like only he can employ that shoulder roll/crab defensive strategy effectiviely...

Solid night...thank you Maidana for proving me wrong.

In my opinion it was one hell of a beat down that Broner suffered. He got knocked down twice, and had he not milked that headbutt and taken all that time to get his senses back it would have gotten significantly worse ( He could have been stopped). Every time Maidana landed cleanly he really hurt Broner, where as most of Broners shots for the most part did not seem to bother Marcus. Also Broners appeals to the referee for help during points in the fight where Maidana would land his combinations and pressure were telling, as it seemed as if he was lost and did not know how to adjust. Maidana on the other hand seemed very comfortable pressuring and going boxing off the back foot.

Broner had most of his success walking forward at least until he got hit, than he became overly tentative which made it easier for Maidana to control the pace of the fight, punch first, and win the jab battle. And consider that Marcus landed over 100 more power punches than Broner with a 35 percent connect rate. With Maidana's power that is a recipe for disaster.

TEAM MAIDANA AND ALEX ARIZA CORNER MYSTERY SOLVED: SMOKING GUN SIMPLY STERILE DENTAL COTTON ROLLS

"Look, they're just dental cotton rolls," stated world-class Strength & Conditioning Coach Alex Ariza, who spoke to FightHype.com regarding the unwarranted controversy that was created after certain blogs referenced an fan-created Instagram video to erroneously run headlines claiming that Team Maidana had somehow cheated in their upset victory over the previously undefeated former welterweight champion Adrien Broner.

Admittedly, when watching the low quality 14-second video, it appears as though Ariza, who is holding several gauze pads in his left hand, grabs something in the gauze with his right hand prior to wiping Maidana's mouth and nose with it. However, after careful examination of a high-definition video of the full 60 seconds in between rounds, a slow-motion close-up shot of the same scene shows that, actually, Ariza was simply pinching the gauze to presumably get a better grip of it before tending to Maidana.

At first glance, some fans and media alike were quick to assume the worst, making accusations that Ariza gave Maidana either some smelling salt or some type of mystery pill. Their proof, presumably, was the fact that Ariza was holding some white unidentified objects in the same right hand that he pinched the gauze with. Ariza, however, set the record straight with FightHype.com, revealing that the "smoking gun" was simply a bunch of sterile dental cotton rolls that he routinely uses during fights. "They're not as clumsy as gauze pads. When I say clumsy, I mean when you pull them out, they don't unravel.

They stay tight. Plus, when there are cuts inside the mouth, you don't want to use adrenaline or anything like that because those are topical solutions; if he swallows it, he'll get a stomach ache or worse," Ariza explained. "You know, it's just what the dentist uses and what he puts inside your mouth when he's stopping bleeding. He doesn't put anything on it; he just uses those things. So there's your fucking smoking gun; those are your mystery pills."

http://fighthype.com/news/article15810.html

I don't think Broner flopped over the headbutt.. When he got headbutted he was talkin to the ref to complain about it and got hit with a left hook by a very heavy handed fighter, you can see in the slow mo his jaw slam on the roof of his mouth and his chin was up, I think thats what shook him, don't think he was fakin it. Shit looked like it hurt

For a guy with quick reflex and speed like him, it took a hell out of a few second for his brain to register the pain and flop properly...

I don't think Broner flopped over the headbutt.. When he got headbutted he was talkin to the ref to complain about it and got hit with a left hook by a very heavy handed fighter, you can see in the slow mo his jaw slam on the roof of his mouth and his chin was up, I think thats what shook him, don't think he was fakin it. Shit looked like it hurt

C'mon now he flopped blatantly. There's no doubt about that. Looked like a soccer player out there

You gotta be kidding, he completely flopped, I'm actually surprised he continued, he was looking for a way out. Meanwhile his late punches in the 11th really seemed to hurt Maidana.

Anyone else think that if Maidana had slightly better conditioning or even just didn't punch himself out like he appeared to in the 2nd, the beating might be worse? If Maidana wasn't so tired in the middle rounds I think he would have stopped Broner.

In my opinion it was one hell of a beat down that Broner suffered. He got knocked down twice, and had he not milked that headbutt and taken all that time to get his senses back it would have gotten significantly worse ( He could have been stopped). Every time Maidana landed cleanly he really hurt Broner, where as most of Broners shots for the most part did not seem to bother Marcus. Also Broners appeals to the referee for help during points in the fight where Maidana would land his combinations and pressure were telling, as it seemed as if he was lost and did not know how to adjust. Maidana on the other hand seemed very comfortable pressuring and going boxing off the back foot.

Broner had most of his success walking forward at least until he got hit, than he became overly tentative which made it easier for Maidana to control the pace of the fight, punch first, and win the jab battle. And consider that Marcus landed over 100 more power punches than Broner with a 35 percent connect rate. With Maidana's power that is a recipe for disaster.

Had I not known the outcome of hte fight, I would have thought Broner was going to take over after Round 7. He was landing many of his own shots and seemed to be taking the very best from Maidana..

just when one thought that Broner was "taking over this fight" he gets knocked down again.

All in all, great night..great performance by Maidana...and great heart by broner for finishing...

he's a first class douche but I give him credit for taking that punishment and refusing to quit.

Victor Ortiz quit after taking much less.

You gotta be kidding, he completely flopped, I'm actually surprised he continued, he was looking for a way out. Meanwhile his late punches in the 11th really seemed to hurt Maidana.

Anyone else think that if Maidana had slightly better conditioning or even just didn't punch himself out like he appeared to in the 2nd, the beating might be worse? If Maidana wasn't so tired in the middle rounds I think he would have stopped Broner.

I definitly think he overly exaggerated what happened and TRIED to get a potential DQ to get out of the fight, But I don't think if that left hook didn't land I think he would have just complained and not flopped, I think that shot hurt enough not for him to not continue or anything, but for him to think this warrants a break if that makes sense.

I'm friends with Adrien Broner so of course I'm a little biased & I feel for him, Sometimes I think it might have been better for Broners career if he just got KO'd in the 2nd round from that left hook, that way he could atleast try and argue he got caught cold, one punch made the difference ,ect ect.

What's crazy to me is that Broner didn't adapt once to that feint to the body come up high with the hook. he got hit with it every time it was thrown, he needs to stop reaching for the jab to the body and start using his elbow to defend it

Gamboa used the same clinic as A-Rod and all the other baseball players who were busted a few months back.

The fact that they've all had suspensions and A-Rod is going to be forcibly retired while Gamboa is allowed to continue to box (albeit while not looking a patch on where he was pre-clinic being busted... surprise, surprise) shows everything that's wrong with boxing's attitude to PEDs.

Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI

"The @SHOsports viewership #'s for #BronerMaidana, per Neilsen: 1.27 million viewers, slightly below the 1.28 million for #BronerMalignaggi"

"Broner's high for the year was the 1.4 million viewers he drew for his February fight against Gavin Rees on @HBOboxing."

Gamboa used the same clinic as A-Rod and all the other baseball players who were busted a few months back.

The fact that they've all had suspensions and A-Rod is going to be forcibly retired while Gamboa is allowed to continue to box (albeit while not looking a patch on where he was pre-clinic being busted... surprise, surprise) shows everything that's wrong with boxing's attitude to PEDs.

Arod also lied repeatedly about it and attacked people like Lance Armstrong and Ryan Braun. Ryan Brauns suspension isn't monumental like Arods, though. Arod is getting crucified because he's a giant douche

Lol at Gamboa destroying Broner. Adrien would walk him down and stop him. Adrien is good when he has the size advantage.

Lol at Gamboa destroying Broner. Adrien would walk him down and stop him. Adrien is good when he has the size advantage.

Yeap, just like he walked down PDL. C'mon man, seriously Broner fans do not learn. It will be more competitive than that, Broner has shown that when swarm he cant react. Gamboa has show he is more of counter puncher, but when he needs to turn it on he does. It will be a close fight.

DPL managed to bring the fight to Broner by using a lot of feints and punches in volume to confuse Broner. He is just not as aggressive and rough as Maidana to not let Broner react properly. If Gamboa can do that (which i think he can), then i think he does have a shot against Broner. He also have good power in his hands and also what i think as an edge in speed.

Yeap, just like he walked down PDL. C'mon man, seriously Broner fans do not learn. It will be more competitive than that, Broner has shown that when swarm he cant react. Gamboa has show he is more of counter puncher, but when he needs to turn it on he does. It will be a close fight.

Gamboa has been exposed many times so lets not point out the PDL fight.
Gamboa is a counter puncher going against a guy who doesn't throw many punches. He also is kind of chinny and leaves his hands down a lot.

Gamboa has been exposed many times so lets not point out the PDL fight.
Gamboa is a counter puncher going against a guy who doesn't throw many punches. He also is kind of chinny and leaves his hands down a lot.

So... how is Broner going to walk him down? I see a competitive fight, not a beat down. We already saw that a guys with decent foot work and angles can hit Broner. In addition to the fact that when Broner gets hit, he doesn't know what to do. when he went on the offensive versus Chino, he was doing well. As soon as get got tagged he didn't know how to react and went back to the shell.

Back