Brush teeth before or after morning coffee?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
and or breakfast? DO you brush before or after coffee/breakfast? And why?

Before. I have to go to work and I'm not one of those dudes that brushes their teeth in the work bathroom.

I shower, shave and brush my teeth right after I wake up. Lets me get on with the rest of my day and to not have to worry about hygiene.

Shower, shave, watch sports center, drink coffee, eat and then go back upstairs to get dressed and brush my teefers. It's a winning routine.

After, because I value having nice white teeth.

After
So i can have that minty fresh taste for longer

Also less coffee breath

Usually both. If I wake up with dry mouth, I need to brush right away, then hydrate, then black tea, breakfast and shower, brush again.

Doing it first thing in the morning defeats the purpose of brushing your teeth in the first place. The point is to brush after you eat.

Rinse your mouth after coffee, don't brush your teeth for about an hour. Coffee weakens the enamel of your teeth and brushing immediately after can be harmful.

After, because I value having nice white teeth.

You probably shouldn't drink coffee then; tobacco, coffee, tea and wine are among the most potent everyday things that will stain your teeth. At the very least use a straw or a cup with a lid.

Before, but I don't drink coffee that early.

I take my coffee to work in a thermos and don't start drinking it til like an hour or two after I've been there.

You should either brush before drinking coffee, otherwise you'll need to wait 30 minutes to an hour after drinking the coffee. Coffee is acidic and softens your enamel for a period during and after drinking it, and brushing can lead to enamel loss.

I know a few work colleagues who drink coffee when in work, first thing. What. On. Earth. I read after brushing, don't eat or drink for 45mins. Oh and rinsing your mouth having brushed, pointless.

When I did drink coffee I drank it before brushing. Didn't want my breath to reek of coffee and stain my teeth.

Back